How threat per point efficient are our WotLK threat talents?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Arjuna » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:02 am

Martie wrote:No, seal of blood will become effective once we get real weapons to use while tanking.

I still think it's better to have a holy dot on a bunch of the mobs I'm aoe tanking...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Domodios » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:54 am

Actually I think good old SoR with the changes will be better than SoV by a small margin unless you go fairly heavy in the Ret tree and give up some Maintank ability to be an off tank in 25 mans and a MT in 10 mans.
With adding Attack power to spell damage it's going to be a really tough call since SoV gets a nice boost off ability to crit and nice +haste scaling.
Domodios

Postby DeadMilliken » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:31 pm

Currently it is hard to keep up SoV on more than one target because its not a reliable proc.

IN THE FUTURE....

I think it would be quite easy to keep up SoV on 3-4 targets...in mass aoe just tab-targetting around dropping even 1-2 stacks on each would be neat.

BTW I'm a longtime lover of Reckoning. I "will" have 3-4 points in it.
If you doubt reckoning I leave you with this thought.

Singletarget:
Free passive threat proc that has utility to restore mana. vs a passive threat bonus that provides no utility.
HMMM HARD CHOICE HERE!

AOE:
Consecration now costs a crap-ton of mana.
Potions are now limited.
You won't be using devine plea while aoe tanking.
Your ONLY self-controllable sources of mana regain in aoe tanking are damange, seal of wisdom, judgement of wisdom. If you overgear something reckoning will make a substantial difference in your mana regain.
(*I adore reckoning in low damage Hyjal waves)
DeadMilliken

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:50 pm

"Boldly said but I remain unconvinced."

If you can prove that the mana gain from Rec on that single target will out produce the threat boost from 1HWS then post some numbers.

I don't care if Rec would give me +50000 threat on the single target I'm focusing on if 1HWS still gives me more on the other 8, 10, 12, 20 etc.

That said for leveling I will spec for Rec and very high into the Ret tree because I won't need the mitigation talents from Prot like I will at L80.
Somewhere around 53 prot then the rest in ret.

I just have to figure out what after the 10 for deflection I'm going to take with the extra points.
Dragonzbane

Postby Splug » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm pretty sure 1h spec is more threat than reckoning, even on single targets. However, I have no math to support that; just what I remember being said elsewhere. I'd consider the multi-target threat from 1h spec significant utility as well. What you have to really weight though, from a strictly-single-target case, is what the net gain in mana from reckoning is against what the improvement to threat is with 1h spec minus the threat from reckoning. IE: if reck is a +3% threat increase, 1h spec is 5%, is 2% threat worth the extra JoW procs?

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:00 pm

DeadMilliken wrote:Currently it is hard to keep up SoV on more than one target because its not a reliable proc.

IN THE FUTURE....

I think it would be quite easy to keep up SoV on 3-4 targets...in mass aoe just tab-targetting around dropping even 1-2 stacks on each would be neat.

It's extremely easy at the moment on beta to keep a full stacked SoV ticking on 3-4 mobs.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Velyna » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:31 pm

Martie wrote:No, seal of blood will become effective once we get real weapons to use while tanking.

Seal of Blood doesn't scale that well with spell damage. Its only 35% of your weapon damage after attack power while seal of righteous and corruption get benefits from spell damage AND attack power. I was pretty surprised actually to see them get more benefit from attack power than spell damage. Looking very promising!
Velyna

Postby Knatniam » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:05 am

Worldie wrote:
DeadMilliken wrote:Currently it is hard to keep up SoV on more than one target because its not a reliable proc.

IN THE FUTURE....

It's extremely easy at the moment on beta to keep a full stacked SoV ticking on 3-4 mobs.

From what was posted in another thread, that HotR procced your seals on all targets it hits, you can just tab/hammer every 6 seconds to keep it stacked right?
Knatniam - Dark - Proudmoore
Knatniam

Postby Darklordkatt » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:57 am

Everytime I read a thread I get more and more excited about being a Protadin. Really even if they took away a couple of things for balance I'd sitll level my pally over a deathknight right now.

But to me right now Reckoning doesn't look that good. Even Single Target wise I'd rather lay down more consecrate and get guaranteed threat then have the random chance of getting a random chance to get more random chance of hitting something and causing threat. It's fun when it happens but tanking doesn't work that way.
70 Prot Pally
Muahahaha 70 Warlock
Kalishnakov 60 Hunter
Darklordkatt

Postby Dawnseeker » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:02 am

Knatniam wrote:
Worldie wrote:

IN THE FUTURE....

From what was posted in another thread, that HotR procced your seals on all targets it hits, you can just tab/hammer every 6 seconds to keep it stacked right?

Seems all weapon-based specials are proccing seals now, at least according to mmo-champion, so hammer every6 secs and keep up a stack of seal of vengeance/corruption on 3 mobs.
Shiney.
Telleryn, Vokh, Elderhorn, Mirinas, Thanaryn, Amitheya, Emareyn, Zenbaja, Mellivora, Corvas <Marmite> Draenor-EU
Dawnseeker

Previous

Return to WotLK