Gears, they be a-changin?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Gears, they be a-changin?

Postby DeadMilliken » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:10 pm

This was NOT posted in the paladins forums but it sounds convincingly as if it will encompass paladins as well.

From the beta shammy forum:

Question asked:
Player: Enhancement Tier Gear stats reworked?

We hope to retroactively change some of the gear on live so the transition is less painful for classes whose core mechanics are changing.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... sid=2000#3
DeadMilliken

Postby Splug » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Heh, the enhancement changes without a re-work would be so brutal. "Oh hey, we just ate half your AP from strength! Have a nice day!111! ^^" I think this is more akin to the changes to hunter gear to compensate for them going to 1 ap per agi, though. Paladins don't actually lose anything, the new tallent just makes other itemization usable and the status quo better. A change would be possible, but they could get away without one here too.

-Splug

EDIT: Though, tank gear in general may get flipped, even if it's something as simple as "all the itemization that was previously BV is now strength, have a good day gentlemen." Would make for some very unexpected implications with the autoblocker; it would become more like the autopuncher... It would also prevent some concerns about stacking lv 60/70 BV gear to achieve things that are impossible with lv 80 itemization, assuming BV is no longer in the game.
Last edited by Splug on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Re: Gears, they be a-changin?

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:13 pm

DeadMilliken wrote:This was NOT posted in the paladins forums but it sounds convincingly as if it will encompass paladins as well.

From the beta shammy forum:

Question asked:
Player: Enhancement Tier Gear stats reworked?

We hope to retroactively change some of the gear on live so the transition is less painful for classes whose core mechanics are changing.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... sid=2000#3

Yeah I was going to mention this.

Again the key word here is HOPE; there is no guarantee it will happen.

Personally I hope they do.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Dorvan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 pm

What kind of change would you hope for? Personally I think our current T6 set is pretty OP threat-wise and will be great for leveling....I don't want them gutting the +dam for more stamina/def....I don't need extra mitigation for levelling.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Gideon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 pm

With the homogenisation going on it will be interesting to see how Blizzard differentiates our tanking tier sets from a warrior's.

Somewhat cynically, I fear they may leave the int on it in case we get drunk enough to try healing in our boss-tanking gear.
Gideon

Postby Ahms » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:19 pm

they'd probably lose all the spell damage and int and replace it with lots of str and def. pretty much everything we have scales with AP in wotlk, and you'd get a lot of spell damage anyways from sta -> sd if that also makes live with a gear change
Paid by the Alliance
To slay all the giants

-Ahms of Mannoroth

Art - http://ahms.deviantart.com/
Ahms

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:22 pm

Like Dorvan said...our t6 is pretty much the "Ultimate Leveling Gear" given the new talents and the current set. There's no reason to change it really, except maybe do a addStrength(getBV()/2) on every item that has block value in it =P

That would make it more op, given ti'd give us even more threat/damage.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:24 pm

Dorvan wrote:What kind of change would you hope for? Personally I think our current T6 set is pretty OP threat-wise and will be great for leveling....I don't want them gutting the +dam for more stamina/def....I don't need extra mitigation for levelling.

I am sort of confused Dorvan in one post you want to get rid of Spell Daage and Guarded by the Light this post you are for spell damage?

Personally I would enjoy using DPS weapons and having gear from the get go that can take advantage of it.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Tybalt » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Based on the latest build, spells are getting a better coefficient (in general) from AP than from SP. I don't have solid data to support this yet, but it feels like I'm doing about the same DPS in Northrend greens (AP based) as I am in my T4, T5 and Badge SP based gear.
Tybalt

Postby Dorvan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Vanifae wrote:I am sort of confused Dorvan in one post you want to get rid of Spell Daage and Guarded by the Light this post you are for spell damage?

Personally I would enjoy using DPS weapons and having gear from the get go that can take advantage of it.

I'm not for spell damage per se....it's a matter of context. From a pure mitigation standpoint it'd be better to remove the +dam and int from T6 and replace it with more stam/def. However, I *don't care* about mitigation for levelling....all I want to do is be a threat and damage machine, and int/+dam is a lot more helpful for that "leveling tank" purpose than stam/def.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Rothes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Ahms wrote:they'd probably lose all the spell damage and int and replace it with lots of str and def. pretty much everything we have scales with AP in wotlk, and you'd get a lot of spell damage anyways from sta -> sd if that also makes live with a gear change

I honestly expect this to happen because...

Snake-Aes wrote:Like Dorvan said...our t6 is pretty much the "Ultimate Leveling Gear" given the new talents and the current set. There's no reason to change it really, except

many would be overpowered not too.
Rothes - Protection Paladin - Bloodscalp
"When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you."
--Lao Tzu
Rothes

Postby Flex » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:14 pm

I wouldn't be shocked to see a BV to Str and a SD to Str conversion on tank gear.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Return to WotLK