new mana regen style it seems

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Gideon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Energy is two seconds.
Gideon

Postby Levantine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:29 pm

But yeh, the 5second rule is only the first five seconds after you cast a spell that uses mana. If you have mp5 then that still ticks every two seconds.
Levantine

Postby Spectrum » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:32 pm

Levantine wrote:Mana regens in two second pulses in it's current iteration. Energy I'm not sure on actually. It may be two seconds, now that I think about it.

It would appear from that video (assuming it's just not some UI thing) that you now get mana or energy continuously at a given rate. In other words, it isn't every 2 seconds now.

But yeh, the 5second rule is only the first five seconds after you cast a spell that uses mana. If you have mp5 then that still ticks every two seconds.

That is how it currently works. My interpretation of that video is that it would still update every frame or few, just the rate would be different for in and out of the 5SR.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:33 pm

I was replying to the poster that said mana regen was 5sec pulses in live.
Levantine

Postby Spectrum » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Levantine: Oh, I see. Sorry about that.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Andryana » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:44 pm

Never noticed it was only two seconds for mana.. never cared much about mana regen.

This is interesting specially for rogues because sometimes you only need 1 more energy for that hemo or SS and you need to wait 2 seconds until you get enough energy for it.. and now it's faster to get that extra bit of energy.
Andryana

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Spectrum wrote:It would appear from that video (assuming it's just not some UI thing) that you now get mana or energy continuously at a given rate. In other words, it isn't every 2 seconds now.

Ironically, that somewhat removes the skill of timing openers as a rogue (so that you spend a bunch of energy just before a tick, letting you have energy for something else sooner). Though, it does make it easier to get that extra 5 energy you need rather than waiting for another tick.
Kelaan

Postby Vorps » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:25 pm

This is more of a boon for energy users, and presumably pets that use focus. Now when your next ability only requires 1-19 more energy you only have to wait 0.1-1.9 second(s), whereas in live you have to wait the full two seconds to get the 20 energy pulse.

Same is true for 21-39, 41-59 more energy, etc etc. With new Rogue talents that give you 3 energy on crits and whatnot it just makes ability use much more fluid, and that much more deadly since certain abilities (namely interrupts/45 energy Backstab) will all be coming at you at an even faster reaction than they do now (especially w/ Kick off the global cooldown).

Kelaan wrote:Ironically, that somewhat removes the skill of timing openers as a rogue (so that you spend a bunch of energy just before a tick, letting you have energy for something else sooner). Though, it does make it easier to get that extra 5 energy you need rather than waiting for another tick.

Yeah, it is a nerf in that respect... but I think the upsides to real time energy income will more than make up for that.
Vorps

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:23 pm

Spectrum wrote:I actually have two comments on this:

First, I wonder if it's actually chunked, but just chunked into 1/10th of a second increments instead of every 2 seconds. If you have 200 mana regen / second and it counts everyone individually then that would be a UNIT_MANA UI event every frame. That's a lot of extra processing.

The second is that a nice side effect of this is that you'll really be able to see when you're in the 5SR or not because the rate will be visible. That will be nice and I wish it was something more people are aware of.

This is actually exactly the same thing I thought. Actually increasing mana at the rate it should be generated should be WAY too many updates...

Also as for the 5SR, X-Perl has a timer bar in your player frame that is basically a cooldown for your 5SR. Other unit frames/cast bar mods may also have this? Not sure, but that's what I use.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Previous

Return to WotLK