Paladins, Blizzard, and Arthas... Right of Passage?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Amanor » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:52 pm

iliya wrote:I repeat:
The BElves already got their own tabard after burning down a church and killing some innocent people. I don't see why they deserve a tabard of the Silver Hand, let alone association.

Because Tirion is leading it now and isn't the racist bigot that Uther was, and as such can actually judge people based on the merits of their individual character rather than ignorantly lumping them together?
Amanor

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Part of the point of Paladin-ness, I thought, was redemption. I don't have a lore issue with the now-less-evil-we-hope Blood Knights merging with the Silver Hand. Hell, as a Draenei, I'm technically not one yet either -- but it's an organization whose ideals (I think) I can respect and identify with.

If getting a "of the Silver Hand" title were the reward for a paladin-only quest line, that'd rock. I'd love it.
Kelaan

Postby Lanicus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:30 pm

iliya wrote:
Arjuna wrote:no way...pally only!!!

i don't want some huntard running around with a tabard of the silver hand! :P

My mistake:

Alliance Paladin Only.

I think it'd only be fair, since those of us who rolled Alliance pallies since day would should get fair compensation for all the crap we had to endure.

besides, the BElves already got their tabard, after burning down a church and killing a few innocent people.

woah woah woah -- what about those of us that rolled alliance pallies since day 1 and then decided at BC release that horde pallies sounded so much more tempting?? Course, technically, we are Blood Knights and not Knights of the Silver hand, so I'm arguing a moot point.
Lanicus

Postby honorshammer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:23 am

Kelaan wrote:If getting a "of the Silver Hand" title were the reward for a paladin-only quest line, that'd rock. I'd love it.

QFT
honorshammer

Postby Lother » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:05 am

Yeah I'm definatly gonna have a word with my GM claiming the right in advance to MT arthas :P

I hope the mechanics of the fight dont screw us somehow.

I can just imagine, gunning for a progression kill, Arthas at 5% and smashing the Holy Mightstone, hahaha
Lother

Postby Mortehl » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:08 am

Lother wrote:Yeah I'm definatly gonna have a word with my GM claiming the right in advance to MT arthas :P

I can just imagine, gunning for a progression kill, Arthas at 5% and smashing the Holy Mightstone, hahaha

Yep. That was my thought too.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:45 pm

The OP's argument actually reminds me of one of the standard arguments Christians rattle out about sufferring in the world: that God is testing our faith.

I'm not spending around 80 years of my life as an entrance exam to Heaven, and I'm certainly not looking back at the last eighteen months of paying for and playing a Paladin as some sort of test.

We did fine. Folks before me blazed a trail that I was happy to follow. There are paladins in the community in every level of the game now who have tanked almost every boss in every instance. People with huge brass balls (or girlparts) who took every "Paladins can't tank that" as a challenge. With each patch and each new buff we got more converts and rerolls.

If we get the powers that are being dangled before us in Beta like so many precious juicy morsels, then it won't be because of our faith, it will be because finally, someone at Blizzard understands what a Paladin is. Nothing more, nothing less.

But that's still a big "if". There's still room for Blizzard to screw the pooch and screw it hard. As excited by the changes as I am, I remain guarded and cautious, because if there's one immutable truth in every MMO it's this:

"Nothing's final."
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:48 pm

Ulushnar wrote:The OP's argument actually reminds me of one of the standard arguments Christians rattle out about sufferring in the world: that God is testing our faith.

I'm not spending around 80 years of my life as an entrance exam to Heaven, and I'm certainly not looking back at the last eighteen months of paying for and playing a Paladin as some sort of test.

We did fine. Folks before me blazed a trail that I was happy to follow. There are paladins in the community in every level of the game now who have tanked almost every boss in every instance. People with huge brass balls (or girlparts) who took every "Paladins can't tank that" as a challenge. With each patch and each new buff we got more converts and rerolls.

If we get the powers that are being dangled before us in Beta like so many precious juicy morsels, then it won't be because of our faith, it will be because finally, someone at Blizzard understands what a Paladin is. Nothing more, nothing less.

But that's still a big "if". There's still room for Blizzard to screw the pooch and screw it hard. As excited by the changes as I am, I remain guarded and cautious, because if there's one immutable truth in every MMO it's this:

"Nothing's final."

Your post could take this far off topic.
honorshammer

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:54 pm

Mortehl wrote:
Lother wrote:Yeah I'm definatly gonna have a word with my GM claiming the right in advance to MT arthas :P

Yep. That was my thought too.

/agreed
Dragonzbane

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:56 pm

Honorshammer wrote:Your post could take this far off topic.

This thing's on page five. If it's gonna derail, it'll have done this before now. I just balk at the notion that Blizzard's "testing our faith".

Of course that could be because I have no faith in Blizzard and every new buff gets me scared for the inevitable bait and switch.

But I'm a cynical geek, who long ago subscribed to the notion that if you believe something's gonna suck then you're never dissapointed. ;)
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Ulushnar wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:Your post could take this far off topic.

This thing's on page five. If it's gonna derail, it'll have done this before now. I just balk at the notion that Blizzard's "testing our faith".

Of course that could be because I have no faith in Blizzard and every new buff gets me scared for the inevitable bait and switch.

But I'm a cynical geek, who long ago subscribed to the notion that if you believe something's gonna suck then you're never dissapointed. ;)

It's not the bait and switch I'm worried about, it's what amazing game breaking buffs are they about to give Warriors.

I play a Holy Warrior of sorts in real life. You post about had me going for my sword and shield. Be happy to 'take it whispers' if you would like.
honorshammer

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:29 pm

Honorshammer wrote:I play a Holy Warrior of sorts in real life. You post about had me going for my sword and shield. Be happy to 'take it whispers' if you would like.

Fair enough, I'm not interested in religious debate on a public forum with a relative stranger. We both have our views and short of a life-altering experience, they're not going anywhere. I used religion purely as a metaphor here.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to WotLK