Paladins, Blizzard, and Arthas... Right of Passage?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Splug » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:05 am

Kitsuna wrote:Hehe, doubt it was intentional, but it sure does feel that way. It also seems oddly appropriate that as death knights come onto the scene, paladins are rising to the occasion. It seems fitting to me.
And then those of us who are not so... fortunate, shall turn to the dark side.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Kitsuna » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:07 am

Aerien wrote:Hell pretty much every Paladin Spec had to experience this lately. Ret were always thought of as "ret"arded damage. And with SWP, Holy is basically there for buffing with our heals being replaced by 2 renews.

It seems appropriate too that every paladin spec, even the incumbant holy paladins, had to feel disadvantaged before all of our specs got a much needed overhaul.

Speaking of appropriate, the OP's name is also quite fitting given the content of the post...

Edit: Not feeling the warrior love Splug?
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Re: Paladins, Blizzard, and Arthas... Right of Passage?

Postby Valentear » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:10 am

Vencedor wrote:So, I was thinking. World of Warcraft has been around for quite some time now and we've seen extremely drastic changes to the Paladin class over this time.

Some of us, like myself, were tanking, when tanking wasn't cool. We fought the ridicule. We fought the warriors who said "I'll never let a Paladin tank in my raid." We fought the healers who laughed about it and told us to learn to play our class and step back and heal.

Many of us have been through a trial by fire. A sort of testing of our worth.

Now, with Wrath of the Lich King on the horizon, a few thoughts come to mind. Who better to be on the front lines, stepping toe to toe with Arthas himself, than the ones whom he betrayed? Who better to bring him to justice than the Protectors of the Light?

What if all this time, from pre-BC until now... it has been one sick, twisted joke from Blizzard to test our worth.

Pre-BC: Oh, you want to be a Paladin? Sure, our description of the class says you'll be tanking and smacking stuff with a huge two handed weapon. But, we didn't design our gear like that. Instead, move to the back of the raid and enjoy falling asleep as you heal everyone else. Oh, you might as well change your hotkeys to 3 key bindings by the way, because that's all you'll ever be using.

BC: Still want to spec Protection huh? Ok, well, we've design some better gear for you, but you still lack the damage reduction of a warrior and other various survivability tools. Oh, by the way, if you wait it out a few months, we'll give you a lot more stamina. Try not to listen to everyone else telling you can't tank certain mobs. They might be right, but hey, who cares right?

Then WOTLK comes along...

It seems everything we've wanted and needed is on the horizon for us. More snap aggro tools. On-demand abilities that can be used in very bad situations (new Divine Protection). Shield of the Righteous. Hammer of the Righteous. Spell damage from stamina. Avenger's Shield scales with AP. Healing received increased from Improved Devo Aura. The list goes on and on.

What if Blizzard was testing us all along, to decide if we were worthy? What if our patience was being tested?
Now that many of us have made it... what if they are giving us these great tools as a sort of reward for our right of passage?

Maybe it's a bit unlikely, but it's fun to think about.

Congratulations, Paladins. You've proved yourselves worthy. Now, bring back Arthas' head on your shield.

Uther would be proud.

*Sniff*

I love you, man.
:cry:
Valentear

Postby iliya » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:12 am

Ahms wrote:
Corlas wrote:It sucks that the changes took this long, but from a story telling point of view, I think it's pretty awesome that Paladins are getting their fixes once the Knights of the Silver Hand are reformed. WTB Title and Tabard.

good way to put it :) and yes would kill for a silver hand tabard...

And make it alliance only.
Iliya - Vek'Nilash: Retired
iliya

Postby Arjuna » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:13 am

no way...pally only!!!

i don't want some huntard running around with a tabard of the silver hand! :P
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:14 am

iliya wrote:
Ahms wrote:
Corlas wrote:It sucks that the changes took this long, but from a story telling point of view, I think it's pretty awesome that Paladins are getting their fixes once the Knights of the Silver Hand are reformed. WTB Title and Tabard.

good way to put it :) and yes would kill for a silver hand tabard...

And make it alliance only.
Then I would kill you.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:19 am

Kitsuna wrote:Edit: Not feeling the warrior love Splug?
I find my lack of faith... disturbing.

(Mostly I just figured if it was a mostly role-play based thread, I'd hop in on "the other team." Seemed fitting. Prior to this patch, I heard that "mages and warriors still had a lot of changes coming." Looks like they got the first round of mage changes out with this one, and it's pretty crazy. Just waiting waiting to see what we get...)

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:21 am

I hate to be that guy but I am pretty sure that the bulk of our early issues were because they wanted to keep shamans and paladins comparable yet different. This of course made the classes become more and more alike, until Burning Crusade when each faction got access to both classes. Then Blizzard could differentiate the two classes and perhaps bring them more in line to the original visions for either class.

I think Burning Crusade was a momentous change for the paladin class specifically and for us protection paladins because it gave us the basic tools to get the job done. The implementation was flawed but the system was in place to do what we wanted to do. This of course matured throughout the life of the current expansion culminating in the status we are in currently.

We are seeing the maturity of Blizzard’s design team and quite frankly some surprising fixes that I think will go a long way to make us better then we are currently today. The paladin class has always been a slightly muddled mess of implementation since day one and I am glad they are finally trying to rectify some of the poor design decisions they have made in the past.

We are reaping the rewards of a maturing design team that has a better handle on a class that has frankly been schizophrenic since launch.

Frankly it’s about damn time.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby iliya » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:25 am

Arjuna wrote:no way...pally only!!!

My mistake:

Alliance Paladin Only.

I think it'd only be fair, since those of us who rolled Alliance pallies since day would should get fair compensation for all the crap we had to endure.

besides, the BElves already got their tabard, after burning down a church and killing a few innocent people.
Last edited by iliya on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
iliya

Postby iliya » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:25 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Then I would kill you.

Oh noes! The barbie doll's gonna hurt me! D:
iliya

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:27 am

Vanifae wrote:I hate to be that guy but I am pretty sure that the bulk of our early issues were because they wanted to keep shamans and paladins comparable yet different. This of course made the classes become more and more alike, until Burning Crusade when each faction got access to both classes. Then Blizzard could differentiate the two classes and perhaps bring them more in line to the original visions for either class.

I think Burning Crusade was a momentous change for the paladin class specifically and for us protection paladins because it gave us the basic tools to get the job done. The implementation was flawed but the system was in place to do what we wanted to do. This of course matured throughout the life of the current expansion culminating in the status we are in currently.

We are seeing the maturity of Blizzard’s design team and quite frankly some surprising fixes that I think will go a long way to make us better then we are currently today. The paladin class has always been a slightly muddled mess of implementation since day one and I am glad they are finally trying to rectify some of the poor design decisions they have made in the past.

We are reaping the rewards of a maturing design team that has a better handle on a class that has frankly been schizophrenic since launch.

Frankly it’s about damn time.
Tch, you're such a Vanifae :)
We can still use lore as an excuse anyway, feels prettier.

Maybe the design team created the Silver Hand? O.o
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:27 am

iliya wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:Then I would kill you.

Oh noes! The barbie doll's gonna hurt me! D:
I have a plastic pistol...
in cylindric format.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:28 am

iliya wrote:
Arjuna wrote:no way...pally only!!!

My mistake:

Alliance Paladin Only.

I think it'd only be fair, since those of us who rolled Alliance pallies since day would should get fair compensation for all the crap we had to endure.
Your compensation is being allowed to be in the same order of paladins that I am.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Arjuna » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:28 am

hehe, she's not the only barbie doll with her eyes set on the silver hand tabard!
quite possibly you'll have more females after your body than you've ever had before...and even some more masculine females...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Kitsuna » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:30 am

Splug wrote:(Mostly I just figured if it was a mostly role-play based thread, I'd hop in on "the other team." )

-Splug

I ruin everything.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK