Remove Advertisements

Paladins, Blizzard, and Arthas... Right of Passage?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Paladins, Blizzard, and Arthas... Right of Passage?

Postby Vencedor » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:37 am

So, I was thinking. World of Warcraft has been around for quite some time now and we've seen extremely drastic changes to the Paladin class over this time.

Some of us, like myself, were tanking, when tanking wasn't cool. We fought the ridicule. We fought the warriors who said "I'll never let a Paladin tank in my raid." We fought the healers who laughed about it and told us to learn to play our class and step back and heal.

Many of us have been through a trial by fire. A sort of testing of our worth.

Now, with Wrath of the Lich King on the horizon, a few thoughts come to mind. Who better to be on the front lines, stepping toe to toe with Arthas himself, than the ones whom he betrayed? Who better to bring him to justice than the Protectors of the Light?

What if all this time, from pre-BC until now... it has been one sick, twisted joke from Blizzard to test our worth.

Pre-BC: Oh, you want to be a Paladin? Sure, our description of the class says you'll be tanking and smacking stuff with a huge two handed weapon. But, we didn't design our gear like that. Instead, move to the back of the raid and enjoy falling asleep as you heal everyone else. Oh, you might as well change your hotkeys to 3 key bindings by the way, because that's all you'll ever be using.

BC: Still want to spec Protection huh? Ok, well, we've design some better gear for you, but you still lack the damage reduction of a warrior and other various survivability tools. Oh, by the way, if you wait it out a few months, we'll give you a lot more stamina. Try not to listen to everyone else telling you can't tank certain mobs. They might be right, but hey, who cares right?

Then WOTLK comes along...

It seems everything we've wanted and needed is on the horizon for us. More snap aggro tools. On-demand abilities that can be used in very bad situations (new Divine Protection). Shield of the Righteous. Hammer of the Righteous. Spell damage from stamina. Avenger's Shield scales with AP. Healing received increased from Improved Devo Aura. The list goes on and on.

What if Blizzard was testing us all along, to decide if we were worthy? What if our patience was being tested?
Now that many of us have made it... what if they are giving us these great tools as a sort of reward for our right of passage?

Maybe it's a bit unlikely, but it's fun to think about.

Congratulations, Paladins. You've proved yourselves worthy. Now, bring back Arthas' head on your shield.

Uther would be proud.
Vencedor

Postby Aerien » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:46 am

Since most likely I'll be using Hammer of the Righteous...you think if I brought back "a bloody pulp resembling a cherry thats been curb stomped by a monstertruck tricycle pedalled by a overly-fed german boy in a laderhosen" on a shield, would Uther would be proud?

What am I thinking, hell yes.
Aerien

Postby Ahms » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:48 am

i'd love to know the source of the changes. internal game-philosophy debate? someone at blizz hq got berated? devs just finally sloughing off their stoic ways?

whatever it is i'm glad that it happened :) with this beta a pally is finally shaping up for what i thought it would be when i first rolled one
Paid by the Alliance
To slay all the giants

-Ahms of Mannoroth

Art - http://ahms.deviantart.com/
Ahms

Postby vyaine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:48 am

im still waiting for the lich king fight to need tanks along the tines of this.

dk for 1 phase, warrior or druid for 1 phase, pally for the next 4 phases. it would be nice.
vyaine

Postby Vencedor » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:51 am

vyaine wrote:im still waiting for the lich king fight to need tanks along the tines of this.

dk for 1 phase, warrior or druid for 1 phase, pally for the next 4 phases. it would be nice.

Don't forget that phase where the only damage he takes is from Holy Damage.

Rogue sends tell to raid leader: Invite for Arthas kill.
Raid Leader: No, thanks, we're only bringing Ret Paladins to DPS.
Rogue: WTF? 15 Ret Paladins?!
RL: Yeah, go wait outside the instance, we'll let you know if you're needed.
Vencedor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:53 am

Actually they were just testing me. You guys are all benefitting because I am worthy.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Kitsuna » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:53 am

Hehe, doubt it was intentional, but it sure does feel that way. It also seems oddly appropriate that as death knights come onto the scene, paladins are rising to the occasion. It seems fitting to me.

I can only speak for myself, but I definetely feel having to scrape and claw to get the job done made me a better player. In a way it does sort of feel like "you managed to put up with it all, now here is your reward with interest."
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby vyaine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:53 am

oh god, sweet sweet justice :D
vyaine

Postby Vencedor » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:54 am

Kitsuna wrote:I can only speak for myself, but I definetely feel having to scrape and claw to get the job done made me a better player. In a way it does sort of feel like "you managed to put up with it all, now here is your reward with interest."

Amen. I'm sure we all have our stories to share about people we upset, others who gquit, and others who blamed wipes on us, just because we weren't warriors.

EDIT

I quit for 6 months back in January because of RL and just came back a little over a month ago. I'm glad I'm back because I wouldn't want to miss this expansion for the world...

PS Laderhosen German fat kid LOL
Vencedor

Postby Corlas » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:57 am

It sucks that the changes took this long, but from a story telling point of view, I think it's pretty awesome that Paladins are getting their fixes once the Knights of the Silver Hand are reformed. WTB Title and Tabard.
Corlas

Postby Aerien » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:57 am

Vencedor wrote:
Kitsuna wrote:I can only speak for myself, but I definetely feel having to scrape and claw to get the job done made me a better player. In a way it does sort of feel like "you managed to put up with it all, now here is your reward with interest."

Amen. I'm sure we all have our stories to share about people we upset, others who gquit, and others who blamed wipes on us, just because we weren't warriors.

Hell pretty much every Paladin Spec had to experience this lately. Ret were always thought of as "ret"arded damage. And with SWP, Holy is basically there for buffing with our heals being replaced by 2 renews.
Aerien

Postby Kitsuna » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:57 am

Edit: Aw, nevermind. Thought Vyaine was "Vyiane", an old Tich buddy.
Last edited by Kitsuna on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby Mortehl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:57 am

I think the roots of this are a little more simple. Paladins are hybrid classes and throughout the course of wow's life cycle, both the player base and the developer's point of view on what a hybrid's role has changed.

Post Renaissance WoW (2.3+) reflects a balanced view on hybrids which is why we can spec any way needed and be totally effective.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Torquemada » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:58 am

Remember to come back with your shield... or on it.
Torquemada

Postby Ahms » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:58 am

Corlas wrote:It sucks that the changes took this long, but from a story telling point of view, I think it's pretty awesome that Paladins are getting their fixes once the Knights of the Silver Hand are reformed. WTB Title and Tabard.

good way to put it :) and yes would kill for a silver hand tabard...
Paid by the Alliance
To slay all the giants

-Ahms of Mannoroth

Art - http://ahms.deviantart.com/
Ahms

Next

Return to WotLK