Taunt overlooked?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Manius » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:17 am

Nich wrote:I'd be relatively happy if it stayed as-is, if we got a 'real' aoe taunt.

Hi there, Solarian adds, I'm looking at you.

It would be quite interesting to have a 30s cooldown taunt that picks up all targets in a 8yd radius. Or possibly targeted on friendly like RD is (or hostile target's target) and radius around him.

But Warriors would cry, and Kalgan would scream and call Steiner a traitor.

Frankly, a more realistic change would be a Blessing or Hand spell that is consumed when the wearer is attacked, causing the attacker to be taunted back to the Paladin. Sort of Pally Interception, something to put on that single retarded aggro-pulling DPS or a hapless healer.
Manius

Postby Lumenactio » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:19 am

I'd love a melee range single target taunt on a 30s cooldown.

I hate when I blow my taunt and a warrior blows theirs and it sticks to a warrior.

Or I blow my taunt as a mage iceblocks or a hunter feigns and the mob suddenly runs loose and there's little you can do for 15 more seconds.

Or at least an inscription that drops the CD by 5s or so. A 10s taunt would be great. 15 is just long.
Lumenactio

Postby Arjuna » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:20 am

Nich wrote:I'd be relatively happy if it stayed as-is, if we got a 'real' aoe taunt.

Hi there, Solarian adds, I'm looking at you.

usually they just run into my consecration and never leave it...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Candiru » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:37 am

Its really annoying that we lack a single target taunt in some situations:

Say you are in Gruul's lair, High King Maulgar and the warlock go for the warlock tank, you are supposed to be tanking HKM. You taunt and get both.

Now the other tank can taunt off the warlock, but not if he is a paladin too!

Then you just taunt and get both again.

This happens on trash sometimes too, and its a bit annoying.

If we had a 10min CD Single target taunt, as a counterpart to the warrior and druids long CD multi-target taunt I would be happy!

Also, our taunt sometimes just fails. On BT Trash I often experiment when we are down to one target left, spamming taunt on it non-stop while out warrior tanks it. I often get the CD activating, no resist message and the mob sticking to him with no debuff. It works SOMETIMES, but its not reliable. The CD should be like dispel, and only activate if it taunted at least 1 mob.
Candiru

Postby Base » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:57 am

Problem a lot of the time when there are warriors/druids around is that their taunt overrides our taunt, so if the warrior has recently taunted and you taunt the mob will just ignore your taunt.
Base

Postby Makaijin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:41 am

Elthar wrote:Problem a lot of the time when there are warriors/druids around is that their taunt overrides our taunt, so if the warrior has recently taunted and you taunt the mob will just ignore your taunt.

It's not that their taunt overrides ours, it's that any taunt always overrides any previous taunts on the target. If you wanted a taunt fight, the last person to press the taunt button always wins the aggro.
Makaijin

Postby Afraithe » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:50 am

I get the feeling it will be worse in WOTLK, as we have more abilities to use up in our threat rotations, we will never have the "paus" we do now, where u can put in a taunt easily.

It doesn't need much fixing, take it off GCD or shorten it to 10 sec or give some sort of backup. It doesn't bother me that it taunts 3 targets, can live with that.

Is it overlooked? Or is this our "flaw"?
Afraithe

Postby Lore » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:03 am

If you're taunting something you're usually not as worried about maxing threat on another target. At least not worried about it enough that that one GCD is OMG SO IMPORTANT
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:18 am

Lore wrote:If you're taunting something you're usually not as worried about maxing threat on another target. At least not worried about it enough that that one GCD is OMG SO IMPORTANT

Of course not, the real reason to take the taunt off GCD is that the person your taunting off of might be dead by the time the GCD is up. Also, neither Warriors nor Druids have their taunt on the GCD. Personally, having the taunt be free is more important to me, but I'd just as soon have taunt off GCD for consistency with the other tanking classes.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:20 am

Dang, I didn't think our taunt was on the GCD. I must have been mistaken.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Afraithe » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:47 am

It is also the fact that it doesn't always work very well.

I'm sure most of you have done Council for example, when Veras gets magic immune, u run after him and taunt, only the healers have aggro and he quickly switches between 2-3-4 targets and your taunt "misses", now you stand there, with a 15 second cooldown and nothing you can do but watch the healers get ganked to death (we usually have the priest tank pull an AOE taunt when he runs past, but its just one example).

There are lots of examples, Kalecgos demon form, 15 seconds is a LONG time. Brutallus, taunt while burn casting (very rare tho), or if you get a resist (also rare, but almost 100% sure wipe).

It's on GCD, 15 second cooldown, and problems working correctly and can be resisted not exactly our finest moments when it fails.
Afraithe

Postby Ahms » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:54 am

one of the testers on the beta forum said RD doesn't cost mana anymore- true?

edit: mmo champ says this so I guess its true

"Come to the defense of a friendly target, commanding up to 3 enemies attacking the target to attack the Paladin instead.
40 yd range, Instant, 15 sec cooldown"
Paid by the Alliance
To slay all the giants

-Ahms of Mannoroth

Art - http://ahms.deviantart.com/
Ahms

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:03 am

Free Taunt is Best Taunt.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Nich » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:03 pm

Manius wrote:Frankly, a more realistic change would be a Blessing or Hand spell that is consumed when the wearer is attacked, causing the attacker to be taunted back to the Paladin. Sort of Pally Interception, something to put on that single retarded aggro-pulling DPS or a hapless healer.
I like this idea, too, tho' I guess our ranged taunt was meant to cover not having an intercept.

Arjuna wrote:
Nich wrote:Hi there, Solarian adds, I'm looking at you.
usually they just run into my consecration and never leave it...
I don't think I can even blame it on latency (.au to a .us server), but I'd just stand there watching them run across my consecrate without even changing direction towards me.

I basically sat around taunting from ranged AoE who got too trigger happy, because the 'real tanks' were generally busy elsewhere.

Candiru wrote:If we had a 10min CD Single target taunt, as a counterpart to the warrior and druids long CD multi-target taunt I would be happy!
Make our RD pull 5 mobs, and have a long CD single-target taunt would be a fun reversal, but maybe not be very useful : \

I think the biggest complaint may simply be that we only have one taunt, while every other tank class has more. Another taunt, no matter what it is, would be handy for redundancy.

Heck, even something like mocking blow would be a nice single-target ability for us.
Nich

Postby Isabelli » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:20 pm

Nich wrote:
Manius wrote:Frankly, a more realistic change would be a Blessing or Hand spell that is consumed when the wearer is attacked, causing the attacker to be taunted back to the Paladin. Sort of Pally Interception, something to put on that single retarded aggro-pulling DPS or a hapless healer.
I like this idea, too, tho' I guess our ranged taunt was meant to cover not having an intercept.

That'd be really cool and a nifty way to grab aggro back, although it kinda resembles Warrior's Vigilance. Although I wouldn't mind using that on uppity tanks that think my taunt is just a cute debuff.
Isabelli

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK