Tank Switching Mechanics

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tank Switching Mechanics

Postby agamemnoch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:22 am

Would it make sense to use Hand of Salvation along with RD on a tank switch like Nalorrak?

Not using full "macro" language but something like:

target the target of your target
/cast RD
/cast HoS
/target mob
Armory Link Above
agamemnoch

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:23 am

Considering you inherit the other tank's threat i don't think it would be useful tbh.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby agamemnoch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:51 am

how would I inherit it in that case and why would it not be useful?

If I cast RD first the other tank can go full out (I usually go with a bear tank) and gain back threat for when he has to taunt off of me and not worry about any over aggro issues. Plus, if we are close to each other on threat, and the taunt fails, he still has the chance of eliminating the wipe.
Armory Link Above
agamemnoch

Postby Lemondish » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:51 am

Worldie wrote:Considering you inherit the other tank's threat i don't think it would be useful tbh.

Well at least that confirms taunts won't be changed in any way, or at least aren't at the moment. I didn't expect them to be, but it might have been interesting.

I don't think we'll see the proper strengths (or weaknesses) inherent with hand of salvation until beta has a proper threat meter to better record the data.
Lemondish

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 am

For "tank tauntswitch" interactions like Nalorakk or Brut, HoS is completely useless... There's no need to drop the other tank's threat, given you inherit it and the other tank will also produce less threat(or at least should. Kitty / rageless / no HS).

For saving Dpsers...I don't know. Last thing I want is to use HoS as an oh shit aggro dump, it's much better used preemptively on that moonkin that managed to crit 15 times in a row during bloodlust*, or on that lock that is aoeing a tad too hard.

*spoken from experience on RoS p3
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby dmok » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 am

Agamemnoch wrote:how would I inherit it in that case and why would it not be useful?

If I cast RD first the other tank can go full out (I usually go with a bear tank) and gain back threat for when he has to taunt off of me and not worry about any over aggro issues. Plus, if we are close to each other on threat, and the taunt fails, he still has the chance of eliminating the wipe.

Your aggro will match that of the target you taunt, plus making the target target you. This means the OT has to do 110% of your threat (previously his) to pull aggro off you. But of course you're also going full-out in threat so it doesn't really matter. HoS would be useful for the case where it resists, you are 2nd on the threat list, and your BoP is on CD. But not macros together
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby agamemnoch » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

dmok wrote:
Agamemnoch wrote:how would I inherit it in that case and why would it not be useful?

Your aggro will match that of the target you taunt, plus making the target target you. This means the OT has to do 110% of your threat (previously his) to pull aggro off you. But of course you're also going full-out in threat so it doesn't really matter. HoS would be useful for the case where it resists, you are 2nd on the threat list, and your BoP is on CD. But not macros together

OK. I thought that he was stating I would inherit the gimped threat of the HoS, even though it was placed later in the cast sequence.
Armory Link Above
agamemnoch

Return to WotLK