Some gear thoughts: Now that we can't be crushed....

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Arcand » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:29 pm

Karock wrote:As far as karazhan goes you can easily get 6+ epics a night as long as it doesn't hate you/hate your classes spec or more.

Teach me your secrets.
Arcand

Postby Karock » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:48 pm

Arcand wrote:
Karock wrote:As far as karazhan goes you can easily get 6+ epics a night as long as it doesn't hate you/hate your classes spec or more.

Teach me your secrets.

Step 1) Do kara with people who want badges not gear
Step 2) Take all the gear your class can use
Karock

Postby balrogg » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:23 am

why are people assuming that everyone has 9 geared 70s standing by to carry you through kara? the point of saying pvp epics are easier than obtaining pve epics is only because pvp epics require NO background, NO other people, and relatively NO skill, considering you get honor/marks for losing. sure, maybe if you have a geared 70 and your guild happens to still run kara, you can get an alt in and pick up whatever you can use. but for someone who just dinged 70 and doesnt have that, pvp epics are guaranteed given a certain amount of time, hence why they are considered easier to obtain. some people have the luxury of geared 70s still running kara, my current guild has the luxury of running alt tk/ssc, just because its "easy" for me to get gear on my alts, doesnt disclude the fact that not everyone who levels to 70 is on the same ground to start.
balrogg

Postby uke » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:16 am

Couple random thoughts from my knack of the woods.

1. I have to admit that I take some offense to the perception that 90% of the people who run BG's are AFK all the time. I've noticed that we do a pretty good job of policing ourselves when running AV. Maybe a couple people AFK out, but the vast majority are actually in it to win it.

2. It may have been mentioned, but there is a difference in the viability of PVP gear for PVE content between tanks, healers, and DPS.

Tanks - maybe the weapon and shield (for EH set).
Healers - I know it hurts their longevity.
However, for DPS, if you can make up the lack of hit rating (or better, get S3 gear which has hit rating), it is a very effective means for gearing for PVE content.

My ret set has a mixture of PVE epics and S2 PVP gear. The S2 Ret pieces (and S3 boots/bracers, etc) far outclass almost anything in my guild's content level (some ZA, mostly Kara atm), except for the crafted epics I had made (goggles, Red Belt of Battle). As long as I'm hit capped with the PvE pieces, I'm good to go.

3. It is not realistic to say "well, just chain-run Kara with your guild to get geared up". That assumes a.) said person's guild runs Kara regulary b.) The RNG gods actually drop the loot that you want (been very hit or miss with me) c.) the time and effort to get the badges and gear is for gear that is actually *better* than it's PVP equivelant (for DPS, S2/3 gear is much better than anything from Kara or T4 content). At the moment, my guild is focusing more on leveling alts than running instances during the week except for Friday/Saturday raid nights, so it's either running pugs through heroics (which gets boring after a while), or being a terror on the battlefield while one-shotting mages :P .

I think that some (not all) folks on here have this mentality of "no PVP gear, never, under any circumstances for any PVE content". Such a mentality limits one from doing what is smart and necessary to help plugs in gaps in gear that the RNG gods have not been polite with. For tanks, it's not so helpful. For DPS, it's very helpful.
uke

Previous

Return to WotLK