Remove Advertisements

Anyone in beta playing hunter?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Anyone in beta playing hunter?

Postby Wakeman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:17 am

Have anyone in beta tried the new hunter talents? My alt is a hunter, so I am also interested in information about the hunters in WotLK.

BM 51 points talent: Beastmastery: teaching you the ability to tame Exotic pets
What are these Exotic pets? Have anyone tamed one yet? I would like to tame a dragon whelp!

MM 51 points talent: Chimera Shot: 30% weapon dmg, consuming the current sting on your target and triggering an effect
This one will make some interesting combo for the MM hunters!

Survival talent: Hunting party: your critical shot return mana, rage, energy, runic power to party member
How effective is it in practice? Good enough to replace shadow priests as the new mana/rage/energy/runic power battery? It sounds interesting to me, actually make me consider to respec survival in WotLK.

Survival 51 points talent: Explosive shot: shot an explosive charge, dealing damage to enemy within 5 yards of target
Look promising when combining with Multi-shot to give hunters more AOE dps. Do they fit well into a AOE shoot rotation?

Honestly, I found the new hunter talents more interesting than paladin's..... :P
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Yadard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:50 am

I am.

Can't speak for BM or SV as I'm old-school MM all the way for hunter specs but MM puts out a lot of damage. With Wild Quiver and no shot clipping we're basically a Combat: Swords rogue with a 41yd range and a pet.

Sworn: We do bad things to bad people.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby Falkman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:13 am

I might actually have to finish lvling my hunter if these talents and the pet talents make it into live, survival looks very exciting :)
Barbossa, lvl 80 human tankadin
Jazine, lvl 80 draenei shaman
Ywaine, lvl 80 draenei death knight
Falkman

Postby Dendrah » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:02 am

The biggest boost to hunters I have ever seen is the removing of autoshot clipping. Beastmaster hunters will benefit the most from it; I'm staying BM for the first bit of time. And for the looks of it... BM hunters will never ever run oom. Give them a survival hunter as well and they can throw all int throu the drain.

Rogue leather here we come !!!!
Dendrah

Postby Yadard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:07 am

Not sure how BM benefits from the removal of clipping.

MM, with it's plethora of other shots to fit into the rotation benefits the most, as stacking haste or using a quick weapon no longer wrecks your rotations. That, and Wild Quiver, are a mad increase to our DPS. Best thing though is it looks like all three hunter specs will be viable in WotLK raids, so everyone can play the style they like. I stopped raiding with my hunter, as I'd rather delete him than spec BM.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby Dendrah » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:26 am

20% more speed is 20% more autoshots and less time in between them for shots so a higher risk on clipping.
Dendrah

Postby Yadard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:17 am

Most BM hunters use a SS/AS (KC) macro to avoid clipping, hence the, "one button spamer," knock on BM hunters.

I suppose BM hunters will be able to weave Arcane Shots in now, but looking at the builds BM hunters in Sworn are talking about they're not looking far enough into the MM tree to make Multi-Shot worth using. It's not exactly set in stone though, and BM will still, so far as I can see, bring enough to the table to justify a spot in the raid. Not every spot in the raid though (not that they ever got that in Sworn anyway, but they do in a lot of guilds).

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby dmok » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:49 am

I love the changes to survival ... however I am also worried about the spec as a whole. Half the awesomeness of being a SV hunter was being the only one in your raids. With more than one, you lose some of the benefit from Expose Weakness since it does not stack. Add to that the fact that survival was (not sure in beta how true this is) very gear dependent and you could end up with alot of gimped hunters out there in wrath.

I'm excited for MM and the dps boost it will definately be receiving .. but just like with BM I am very wary about the 51pt talent and how exactly it will work.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby halabar » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:52 am

BM will be interesting, and certainly should have less mana issues, but, the real question is going to be the benefit of the "exotic" pets. The jury is still out on if it will be really worth it.

With BM, you get 5 extra pet "talent points" which will fill out your pet's skills pretty well, but there are doubts about benefits to raids. Soloing and questing, on the other hand, will be ez-mode.

MM still lacks raid synergy with TrueShot aura, unless they finally make that a raid-wide buff, and let it scale.

I think we'll see a lot more survival hunters. And also tanking pets. We will see pets as OTs (especially in 5-mans) and perhaps as MTs when the instance is overgeared.

There's a great vid of a Croc AOE-tanking SM. Pulls the whole Cathedral.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Yadard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:01 am

BM was always about easy mode grinding pre-tBC, I guess they wanted that back. Wild Quiver and no clipping are an outrageous buff to MM hunter's direct DPS, not to mention the 'Oh Shit' button of Chimaera-Shot popping a Scorpid sting to reduce damage to the tank (on 3 hits, reducing damage by 60%, then 40% then 20%). I can see that alone justifying MM hunter's spots, let alone the very enhanced damage they'll bring.

All in all, if I have three hunter spots to assign for a raid (and generally I do) then I'll want one SV, one MM and one BM hunter, unless things change significantly between now and release.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby balrogg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:20 am

exotic pets are rumored to have skills unavailable to normal pets, so im thinking pve/pvp utility. things like fear, mana burn, group/raid dmg buffs, boss debuffs, etc. only time will tell, i just hope they increase the stable size, 3 pets really limits choices, not factoring in new pet types/skills/exotic pets.
balrogg

Postby Loendoran » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:02 am

Maybe the exotic pets you can tame as a BM hunter are the beasts that were unable to be tamed initially (think Kodo, Zhevra, Dino's in UnGoro, etc...). I'm not sure how great a lot of them would be as pets, but I'm sure some of them would be pretty damn kickass...can you say T-Rex in PvP???
Loendoran

Postby halabar » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:07 am

Yadard wrote:I am.

Can't speak for BM or SV as I'm old-school MM all the way for hunter specs but MM puts out a lot of damage. With Wild Quiver and no shot clipping we're basically a Combat: Swords rogue with a 41yd range and a pet.

Can you make a suggestion in the beta forums then?..

What I'd like to see added to Beast Mastery (the 51-point BM talent) is the ability to call a pet from anywhere, and your current pet would go back to the stable. So you are in a 10-man with your dps pet, and the OT DCs, no problem. You pull out the super whistle, and your turtle shows up, ready to OT.

Basically you wouldn't need to go to the stable master anymore, if you picked up the 51-point talent.

thoughts?

halabar

Postby DeadMilliken » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:17 am

All hunters will be BM 51pters.

I have 2 words for anyone who disagrees....

"Pet Devilsaur"
(Bonus if "Pet LandSharK" works too)

No one will be able to resist the LANDSHARK
DeadMilliken

Postby halabar » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:24 am

DeadMilliken wrote:All hunters will be BM 51pters.

I have 2 words for anyone who disagrees....

"Pet Devilsaur"
(Bonus if "Pet LandSharK" works too)

No one will be able to resist the LANDSHARK

If the Devilsaur shrinks to the size of a regular raptor, meh....

Landsharks, however, would be way cool.

No knowing yet what they'll give us, but the guess is the beast families that are considered "untameable" currently. That gives hippogryphons as possibly the most unique, unless we can tame the proto-dragons. (Dragons and demons don't show as beasts, so those are out..)

halabar

Next

Return to WotLK