Remove Advertisements

Tanked the Nexus

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanked the Nexus

Postby nicolax » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:51 pm

Long story short, with t6 quality gear it's very easy. Lots of chain pulls groups of mobs (many non-elite + some elite)

I had 1057 spell damage and 511 ap :
http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 600vs4.jpg

I was in a party with a warlock and a dps warrior using full sunwell gear, dual-warglaives and never had a problem with aggro (except 1st boss like in the screenshoot but she divide into multiple shadows of herself at a certain point). i was using mostly a t6 threat set, 5/8 t6, spell power rings... and it was fine. I found out that holy shield is just not necessary so my rotation was something like that :

Avenger's shield, consecration, seal of righteousness + judgement of wisdom, hammer of the righteous, then re-seal, consecration then HotR or HotR then consecration. depending on the cooldowns.
I was out of mana after a few pulls but there is no way to drop consecration out of the tanking rotation. It is just too useful.

- Hammer of the Righteous is a very good ability, once you begin to use it, you love it. Kind of a close-combat avenger's shield without the daze effect.
- Avenger's shield, the reduced cooldown now makes it very useful while tanking. 0.5 sec cast is easy to use even when being hit by several mobs at once.
- i did not notice that the mobs have their melee attacking speed reduced by my judgement of the just talent

screenshoots :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28963019@N05

spec used :

http://www.mmo-champion.com/talent/?pal ... 0105312321
nicolax

Postby Mehnalas » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:13 am

Nice! Very cool.
Lore(lol) wrote:Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nope.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mehnalas
Mehnalas

Postby Amran20 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:18 am

Didn't use ShoR?

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
Amran20

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:25 am

Didn't use ShoR?

He's only level 71.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Forlorn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:44 am

Frankly right now most people running around in beta are WAY overgeared for the content. Northrend seems to be designed with a simple progression path from a brand new 70 in mind, im talking someone in greens and blues here. This is probably so that DK's dont get to northrend and hit a wall. Hell I did a nexus run earlier where I was ret and we had a level 69 DK tanking it. It was not a problem and from my standpoint less annoying since I wasnt going oom every couple of pulls. Until we see people running things like the Halls of Stone (77 - 79 instance) were not gonna get a real good feel for what its like.

However the nexus is fun but I recommend doing the quests outside completely first before heading in so that you have an idea of what is going on.
Forlorn

Postby Andox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:51 am

Forlorn wrote:However the nexus is fun but I recommend doing the quests outside completely first before heading in so that you have an idea of what is going on.

This is the thign that worrying me. If there is two zones, with instances in both. How on earth is it possible to do both zones + quests to get the story of each instance, and THEN run the instance? I love the lore, but it feels like I will miss a half of it since I can level to 80 only doing half of Northrend.
Andox

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:56 am

Andox wrote:
Forlorn wrote:However the nexus is fun but I recommend doing the quests outside completely first before heading in so that you have an idea of what is going on.

This is the thign that worrying me. If there is two zones, with instances in both. How on earth is it possible to do both zones + quests to get the story of each instance, and THEN run the instance? I love the lore, but it feels like I will miss a half of it since I can level to 80 only doing half of Northrend.

I'm running into that a bit. I did the nexus without ever having done any of the quests, but then I'm not a big lore person. Currently, transportation absolutely sucks though. I have 3 flight points in the starting zone, and 3 in the adjacent zone, and I still can't fly from one zone to the other. I doubt it'll stay like that, so folks doing this portion of the beta, aren't going to have the same feel that live will have.

I will say though, that compared to TBC beta, it feels like there are a TON more quests in the zones. The zones are pretty big (3 flight points in a single zone is a good indicator) with tons of quest hubs.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Re: Tanked the Nexus

Postby Equitas » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:58 am

nicolax wrote:Avenger's shield, consecration, seal of righteousness + judgement of wisdom, hammer of the righteous, then re-seal, consecration then HotR or HotR then consecration. depending on the cooldowns.
I was out of mana after a few pulls but there is no way to drop consecration out of the tanking rotation. It is just too useful.

i thought we only need to reseal every 30 seconds?
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Macha » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:15 am

However the nexus is fun but I recommend doing the quests outside completely first before heading in so that you have an idea of what is going on.

On that subject: Do these instances give reputation?
Macha

Postby Worldie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:26 am

Macha wrote:

On that subject: Do these instances give reputation?

No reputation, but quite loads of exp and nice drops for non T6 people (some actually useful to T6 people)

I've done Utgarde and Nexus on my priest with tankadins who were not overgeared, they didn't have any issue in tanking, they just didn't pull 3 packs at once like i did.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Macha » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am

I'm just wondering about reputation because of the old reputation trick of doing instances till 5999, and then quests, to be almost revered long before 70.

Going to do the instances anyway, because they look great, and because it'll probably be much faster XP than fighting with John Shmoe and his sixteen deranged brothers over the five rabid killer bunnies needed to complete the next quest.
Macha

Postby Worldie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:53 am

The true reason to go istances is that the quest zones will be a lil overcrowded :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Andox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:53 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Andox wrote:

I'm running into that a bit. I did the nexus without ever having done any of the quests, but then I'm not a big lore person. Currently, transportation absolutely sucks though. I have 3 flight points in the starting zone, and 3 in the adjacent zone, and I still can't fly from one zone to the other. I doubt it'll stay like that, so folks doing this portion of the beta, aren't going to have the same feel that live will have.

I will say though, that compared to TBC beta, it feels like there are a TON more quests in the zones. The zones are pretty big (3 flight points in a single zone is a good indicator) with tons of quest hubs.

I´m a lore whore, so I need to have a tactic, so I can do all quests and do the instnaces!
Andox

Postby Chevalier » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:21 am

Well I know you can get all the Nexus quests (well I got 3) by doing the quests on coldarra in Borean Tundra (an island quest hub that stations the nexus)...I don't know about utgarde keep haven't quested in Howling Fyord
Chevalier

Postby Andox » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:25 am

Chevalier wrote:Well I know you can get all the Nexus quests (well I got 3) by doing the quests on coldarra in Borean Tundra (an island quest hub that stations the nexus)...I don't know about utgarde keep haven't quested in Howling Fyord

So you mean that the quests can be picked up at sevral places?
Andox

Next

Return to WotLK