Interesting Figures

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Interesting Figures

Postby Gustov » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:02 pm

something i found on a holy pally site about beacon of light. is this math and the assumptions made correct?

2 Responses to “Paladin New Holy Spells in WotLK”

Leykis Says:
July 25, 2008 at 2:21 pm

About that Beacon of Light spell. If it’s a HoT, does it get the full benefit of +healing? If so, the max rank spell for a pally with +2k healing would be 4000 over 15 seconds, or 800 per tick if it’s a 3 second tick. It affects the whole raid, but has limited range, so it has massive implications in a fight like void reaver, especially since it’s not a channeled spell. Unless there’s a severe downranking penatly for this spell, level 65 with high +healing might be very attractive. Also, any idea if this spell can crit? Will be ever cooler if it does (think illumination and divine favor here). Anyways, food for thought…I know it’s way too early to know for sure.
Ellonwyn Says:
July 26, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Its not a channeled spell, and it does recieve 100% coef. from +Healing, so if you have 2000 healing, it will heal for 4000. Not really a big deal, but you’re missing the point. You don’t heal the target, the Target BECOMES a beacon of light, healing everyone around them. Healing creates threat at the rate of .5 per point of healing, so if you heal a warrior with this spell, he just healed for 4000 and generated 2000 threat over 15 seconds. However, if, for some miraculous reason, the entire raid was in range for the that spell, he would heal for 100,000 (25 raid members x 4000 healing to each) which would equate to 50,000 threat. And thats just with a warrior. If it was a Tankadin, the math would look something like this:

(100,000 x .5) x 1.9 (Righteous Fury) = 95,000 threat. With the mana cost on this spell, no its’ not spammable, but there are fights that this spell rocks on - Hex Lord and Na’Jentus come to mind most readily. Also, dropping it on your pally tank in MtH at the start of every trash group gives him even more threat, especially with all the melee standing right behind him…
Gustov

Postby Worldie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:15 pm

That however assumes that the threat from the spell is directed to the beacon of light.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lore » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:18 pm

From the wording it seems like that's what it does, can anyone with beta check? It wouldn't be hard to test, just cast it on someone else, and if the combat log says they're doing the healing, they're getting the threat.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Zonzede » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Also, I read that Righteous Fury will only increase threat form Holy Damage now, and no longer heals.
Zonzede

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:15 pm

Lore wrote:From the wording it seems like that's what it does, can anyone with beta check? It wouldn't be hard to test, just cast it on someone else, and if the combat log says they're doing the healing, they're getting the threat.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got coded to zero threat, because it's hax for the tank, and because it also could limit tossing it the ranged group that's taking some sort of AoE damage.

While it's nice for the tank, it could also be limiting it as well.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Sharlos » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Zonzede wrote:Also, I read that Righteous Fury will only increase threat form Holy Damage now, and no longer heals.

Its possible. That's what it used to say but they changed it to include heals when they added the damage reduction to RF.
Sharlos

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Sharlos wrote:
Zonzede wrote:Also, I read that Righteous Fury will only increase threat form Holy Damage now, and no longer heals.

Its possible. That's what it used to say but they changed it to include heals when they added the damage reduction to RF.

In beta at the moment it says, "Increases the threat generated by your Holy Spells"
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Paksennarion » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:06 am

I would expect it to be a 0-threat spell. Think about it, it's a max-tier talent being used to effectively create "Circle of Tranquility". Tranq talents for Druids lower the threat to 0, IIRC.
Paksennarion

Postby Equitas » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:52 am

Somebody pointed out that with the mana cost the spell is not spammable...

Beacon of Light Rank 5: Manacost 2330

If you activate Divine favour you get reduced manacosts by 50% for 15 seconds.

I.E 1165 mana, so you can easily pop 5 beacons for 6K mana if really needed.

I think wotlk will offer some insane Group dmg situations where couple of palas will have to throw beacons, everybody will have to focus in groups and the Paladin will have to have Divine Guardian on :D

That would be so fucking sweet :D
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby jere » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:59 am

Equitas wrote:Somebody pointed out that with the mana cost the spell is not spammable...

Considering that the spell works over 12 seconds, the heals from more than one target don't seem to stack, and considering it is an area effect placed on a target, I am getting the impression that it isn't meant to be a spammable spell, more of a fire-n-forget type.
jere

Postby Lemondish » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:55 pm

Equitas wrote:Somebody pointed out that with the mana cost the spell is not spammable...

If you activate Divine favour you get reduced manacosts by 50% for 15 seconds.

I.E 1165 mana, so you can easily pop 5 beacons for 6K mana if really needed.

I think wotlk will offer some insane Group dmg situations where couple of palas will have to throw beacons, everybody will have to focus in groups and the Paladin will have to have Divine Guardian on :D

That would be so fucking sweet :D

Absolutely super cool. But I'm starting to think with the way the break down of classes work (and all the new abilities given to each class/spec) we'll see a lot less copies.

What I mean by this is that it'd be a good idea for a raid to include a Retribution Paladin with the new utility from Retribution Aura. On top of that I don't see why they wouldn't want a Protection Paladin. However, if the fight/instance does not require them to bring a ton of tanks, you could technically replace it with another Holy Paladin...

What I'm getting to is that with 10 classes and 25 raid spots, we're at a 2.5 spots per class to keep the balance. Obviously there's some highly specialized classes that don't necessarily need more than 2 of each, so the hybrids fit in with the empty spots.

jere wrote:Considering that the spell works over 12 seconds, the heals from more than one target don't seem to stack, and considering it is an area effect placed on a target, I am getting the impression that it isn't meant to be a spammable spell, more of a fire-n-forget type.

What I think is awesome is its basically the most mobile multi target healing ever.

Just wait until you see Equitas and I rollin through a raid on a beacon train rofl.
Lemondish

Postby Hollyhell » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Isn't it like 15 seconds as well? I would assume it would get more than 100% coeffcient; I know there are spells already that get this.
Hollyhell

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:10 am

Lore wrote:From the wording it seems like that's what it does, can anyone with beta check? It wouldn't be hard to test, just cast it on someone else, and if the combat log says they're doing the healing, they're getting the threat.

I'll try tonight
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Karock » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:25 am

You'd probably have to actually do a threat test and see if you could get someone to pull aggro off of you with it. It could be like lifebloom and read that they are the owners but not actually give them threat.
Karock

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:35 am

Sure.

Paladin stands there, just gets hit by a mob until he reaches 50%. Holy makes him be a beacon of light.

If healing generates Aggro for the Holy, Holy will find out immediately.

If it generates 0 Threat, just wait until healed full, dropping again, spam flash of light. If you need a long time it is probably 190 x Aggro *g*

I try to log my combatlog.
Sarkan-ZdC

Next

Return to WotLK