Remove Advertisements

Spell Warding not necessary in WotLK?

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Spell Warding not necessary in WotLK?

Postby Sepaticaus » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:50 pm

Considering how Blizzard had trumpeted Death Knights to be caster tanks. It'll be kinda pointless to pick up Spell Warding for raids since assuming DKs will tank all caster fights. Spell Warding is going to be only useful when we're doing 5 mans...and since 5 mans aren't as important as raids are.

I can see myself dropping Spell Warding and going with this spec.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0000000000

Honestly now, don't you think that it's time for Blizzard to merge Improved Righteous Fury talent and Spell Warding talent?

Methinks Blizzard should get some advice from this guy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b70OQSQpBY

Oh well.
Sepaticaus

Postby Salamandra » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:51 pm

Spell Warding was never necessary.
Salamandra

Postby Sepaticaus » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Salamandra wrote:Spell Warding was never necessary.

Of course, but if you are going to be a MT, it's always very nice to have extra spell mitigation. Combined with Righteous Fury it gives you 10% spell damage mitigation.

But I am talking about WotLK that it's possible Spell Warding won't even make the cut into many raiding tankadins. Which is a pretty bad design if an important spell mitigation talent is going to be ignored by 99% of players.
Sepaticaus

Postby Soltyr » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Sepaticaus wrote:Which is a pretty bad design if an important spell mitigation talent is going to be ignored by 99% of players.

I see two reasons so that 99% of the players will ignore it:

1) no more points, not enough points
2) heavy spelldmg fight? bring a DK.
Soltyr

Postby GothicPL » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Small guilds may not have a tanking death knight at the same gear level as a warrior or a paladin MT. I'll probably pick it up, since most DKs in my guild may end up being PvP or DPS oriented.

Also, there are fights that alternate between heavy physical and magic damage, e.g. Zul'Jin - phase 5 has quite a bit of fire damage directed towards the tank.

Nothing wrong with encounters that favor a Death Knight, but design that requires a Death Knight is bad.
GothicPL

Postby Salamandra » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Zul'jin phase 5's fire damage is more directed towards everyone than it is the tank, and the physical damage he causes is still much greater than the fire damage. And that gets reduced by only 4%.

And that's on one of the higher magical damage fights.

I've never specced into it, and never saw any reason to at all. In every fight you'll either be taking no magical damage or very little magical damage comparative to the physical damage you take. Even that very little magical damage you take, it only gets reduced by 4%; an amount that no one will even notice.

The only exception to this is probably Flames of Azzinoth, since that's entirely magical damage.

We have plenty of things which we'd like to spec into which we can't due to lack of points. This is even more the case in WotLK. I'd rather put my points into something that's useful.
Salamandra

Postby Lore » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:28 pm

It's an optional talent for sure. If you need the extra spell mitigation, then go for it, but otherwise you can stick those talents somewhere else.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Eaglestrike » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:29 pm

I originally spec'd spell warding, then I realized my DPS were threat capped more often than I was death capped so I put those points into reckoning.
Eaglestrike

Postby trellian » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:59 pm

I think spell warding could be usefull in wotlk.

Don't forget that it scales!

Now 2% of a TBC spell isn't much, but 2% of a WotLK spell is a lot more, so it isn't a bad talent to have.

It all kinda depends on how hard the mobs are hitting you with spells.
trellian

Postby Lore » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:20 pm

Eh that's not really true. Don't forget your HP will increase as well. It's just the nature of RPG's, as level increases, numbers increase.

At best it will be giving the same benefit at 80.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Salamandra » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:22 pm

That doesn't make it more useful, that makes it exactly the same. Your hp and the healer's healing ability will also scale to make that 2% the same proportionally as it was before.

It does depend on how much spell damage you're taking, but it's only 4% regardless and if encounters are anything like pretty much any TBC encounter that spell damage will be pretty much none of the damage you're taking, making those two points you spent useless.
Salamandra

Postby trellian » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:11 am

That might be true if spell dmg would be avoidable or mitigatable by armor/shield.
However it is not. Just the fact that you get more HP and armor does not help the fact that you will see a higher return of the 2 points then in wotlk.

And while not many raid bosses in TBC do spell damage, a considerable amount of heroic dungeons contain bosses which deal quite a bit of SD.
trellian

Postby Arjuna » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:15 am

my usual experience in tbc heroics is that the spells the bosses do more often kills the healer/dps than me though...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby enbee » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:17 am

Haven't had room in my spec to squeeze it in since they added stam to the expertise talent :/
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Salamandra » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:08 am

trellian wrote:That might be true if spell dmg would be avoidable or mitigatable by armor/shield.
However it is not. Just the fact that you get more HP and armor does not help the fact that you will see a higher return of the 2 points then in wotlk.

And while not many raid bosses in TBC do spell damage, a considerable amount of heroic dungeons contain bosses which deal quite a bit of SD.

No, it's still completely true that it scales such that it'll always be the same. Your hp increases to help deal with any spike damage capability it has, and your healer's healing ability increases to deal with the increased healing that's required to heal you back up. It's exactly the same.

I can't think of one heroic boss where the spell damage is even close to the physical damage you take. Only a small portion of the damage is reduced by 4%. Also, on pretty much every heroic boss, I actually want to take more damage, not less.
Salamandra

Next

Return to WotLK