Remove Advertisements

Soloing Old-world bosses...

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Soloing Old-world bosses...

Postby Gimorth » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Many people heard of the changes to crusing blow mechanics and made the assumption that it would then become impossible for a tank to solo old-world bosses like some are able to do today. Now that beta notes are making their way out there, I haven't been able to identify a change in game mechanics that would affect this change.

It seems that crushing blows will no longer be on a boss's combat table. It also appears that strength will give BV at a faster rate. Is there some change that I am missing that makes a paladin who is unhittable today hittable in WotLK?
Gimorth

Postby Argali » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Wouldn't the removal of crushing blows make it easier to tank old world bosses?
Argali

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:46 pm

Argali wrote:Wouldn't the removal of crushing blows make it easier to tank old world bosses?
The whole idea for old world bosses is to not take damage _at all_. passive uncrush so nothing lands.
So yeah, nothing changed.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Gimorth » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Argali wrote:Wouldn't the removal of crushing blows make it easier to tank old world bosses?

Right. That's what I am saying. From what I am reading, it seems like easier to acquire BV and the removal of crushing blows makes it the same to easier to solo melee-only bosses. I just know that the inital reaction to WotLK, however, was that "if you don't get your bindings now, you're not going to get them."
Gimorth

Postby Argali » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Well, somebody probably misunderstood something or you misread something, I guess.
Argali

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:35 pm

I believe the reason this comes up is that some people believe the removal of crushing blows will be accompanied by a reduction in the amount of avoidance for tanks in WotLK--meaning passive uncrush might not be possible to achieve.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Spectrum » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:56 pm

We can always stack block rating! I bet there will still be enough gear to get passive uncrushable if you are doing high-tier content.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Argali » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:01 pm

You could stay at 70 forever! ROFL!
Argali

Postby Constantine » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:55 pm

This is pure speculation, BUT: If they remove crushing blows from the standard attack table, they will need to be replaced with something... right?

What if they replaced all those crushes with Crits?

(Or am I lacking some kind of basic understanding of what's happening here?)
No armory link necessary. I am so awesome that if you clicked my armory link, your computer would explode.
Or perhaps whatever the opposite of that statement would be.
Constantine

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:00 pm

They are not been removed, just only mobs 4 levels higher can crush. Thus bosses can't crush anymore.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jaydin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:06 pm

radioactivejack wrote:This is pure speculation, BUT: If they remove crushing blows from the standard attack table, they will need to be replaced with something... right?

What if they replaced all those crushes with Crits?

(Or am I lacking some kind of basic understanding of what's happening here?)

crushes just show up when a mob is "x" levels higher than you, if x is greater than or equal to 3 (presently) or 4 (come wrath). if a mob can't crush, its simply a normal hit
Jaydin

Postby Elsie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:21 pm

Block value wont even be as important with the changes to Seal of Light healing AP *0.18 + Sp Dmg *0.18.
Elsie

Postby Zeels » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:46 am

It's a bit boring imo without the crushes. Took some skill and effort at least to keep that holy shield up 100%. Now you don't even have to bother.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:37 am

Zeels wrote:It's a bit boring imo without the crushes. Took some skill and effort at least to keep that holy shield up 100%. Now you don't even have to bother.
What skill does it takes to spam a button when it's 1~ second away from the cd's end?
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Arjuna » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:43 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Zeels wrote:It's a bit boring imo without the crushes. Took some skill and effort at least to keep that holy shield up 100%. Now you don't even have to bother.
What skill does it takes to spam a button when it's 1~ second away from the cd's end?

atleast it was an effort to become uncrushable from the start...

Now we can just go into raids the moment we ding 80...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Next

Return to WotLK