Remove Advertisements

Paladin tanking weapons

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Paladin tanking weapons

Postby Modal » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:39 am

Yeah, so remember how in release TBC there were no epic paladin tank weapons until Hyjal? And how they didn't remedy that situation until they added ZA and MgT in the two final content patches?

How much you want to bet that there will be no paladin tank weapons in WotLK either?

I'm imagining a perfectly itemized paladin tank weapon in WotLK is going to be a slow (for greater HotR damage), non-spellpower 1-hander with tank stats such as stamina, strength, armor, defense, expertise. Why won't there be such a thing? Because weapons with tank stats are going to have fast attack speeds, since that's what warriors like. Meanwhile, there will be slow 1-handed maces, swords, and axes, but they will be itemized for rogues and shaman, with crit, agility, AP, hit, armor penetration, and haste.

Who wants to guess when Blizzard will finally realize they've overlooked paladin tanks and put in a weapon that will make us happy? My guess is patch 3.3.

Sorry for the negativity, but if you look at the beta items showing up at MMO Champion and WoWhead, you can already see this trend.
Modal

Postby Taeron » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:43 am

There will also be a good tanking weapon for paladins in Arena Season 7. Demanding 2200 personal rating and a naked photo of your younger sister.

Oh, Blizz. I love to hate you.
Taeron

Postby Elennira » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:45 am

what do you mean no epic tanking weapons until MH?

i stole a perfectly good sword from under the nose of a warlock when gruul dropped it
Elennira

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:45 am

The likelihood of there being an actual "tanking weapon" is slim (although certainly possible), because they've said time and time again that they want to consolidate everything, and a "tanking weapon" would only be used by two classes.

Elennira wrote:what do you mean no epic tanking weapons until MH?

Also, this. There are plenty of tanking weapons for Paladins, just only one (blue) that actually has stats specifically for Paladin tanks.
Last edited by moduspwnens on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Modal » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:46 am

i stole a perfectly good sword from under the nose of a warlock when gruul dropped it

Which had stats that are less than ideal for a paladin tank. Spell crit? Who needs it. The fact that you had to ninja a warlock/mage item just shows how bad the gear gap was.
Modal

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:48 am

I need to read closer ftl.

We're in Beta....less QQ "zomg Blizzard hates us and won't change anything, it's Beta after all" and more submitting feedback imo.
Last edited by Dorvan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:48 am

Modal wrote:

Which had stats that are less than ideal for a paladin tank. Spell crit? Who needs it. The fact that you had to ninja a warlock/mage item just shows how bad the gear gap was.

This is true, but in that case there are NO epic Paladin tanking weapons. You're always gonna be taking a weapon that's better suited for a caster, because none of them have defensive stats on them, and all of them have intellect.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Modal » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:51 am

moduspwnens wrote:The likelihood of there being an actual "tanking weapon" is slim (although certainly possible), because they've said time and time again that they want to consolidate everything, and a "tanking weapon" would only be used by two classes.

Well, there are already tank weapons in the beta. But they've got fast attack speeds, for warrior tanks. This strength/stamina sword for example, seems to have fine tanking stats, but a 1.7 attack speed. Or this green sword, which has a decent amount of stamina and expertise.

Even if they don't stick a ton of armor/defense/dodge or whatever on weapons, there will still be high stamina/strength/expertise weapons that tanks will prefer to stuff like this mace, which has no stamina and only dps-increasing stats (although it's also a little slow by shaman/rogue standards).
Modal

Postby Modal » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:52 am

Dorvan wrote:If you've been paying attention, it's quite apparent we're intended to use melee tanking weapons in WotLK. The complaint about a lack of a tanking weapon for Prot Pallies is valid in TBC, but it's obsolete in WotLK

If you read my post, you'll see that I'm worried about a different kind of weapon. I'm thinking they'll expect us to use warrior tank weapons, but that in fact the ideal paladin tank weapon in WotLK will probably have similar stats but a much slower attack speed than a warrior tank would want.
Modal

Postby kalbear » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:53 am

If you've been paying attention, it's quite apparent we're intended to use melee tanking weapons in WotLK. The complaint about a lack of a tanking weapon for Prot Pallies is valid in TBC, but it's obsolete in WotLK
Right, but they're not the best for paladins either. Warriors want fast 1h weapons with defensive stats and hit/expertise. Paladins will want slow 1h weapons with defensive stats and hit/expertise. If a paladin gets a warrior weapon, it's going to be suboptimal for threat since HotR doesn't scale with weapon speed. If a paladin is given a slow weapon, chances are it'll be itemized for the fury warriors and enhancement shamans and not have the defensive stats.

In other words, it's the same situation as before - either go for a warrior weapon and miss out on threat or go for a threat weapon and miss out on defensive stats.
kalbear

Postby AutomaticZen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:54 am

I kept waiting for the next level of [Crystalforged Sword], and it never came. That weapon was perfect.
Last edited by AutomaticZen on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AutomaticZen

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:54 am

Yep, I fail at reading.

As I said above, the correct response it not to QQ saying "zomg Blizz won't fix it poor us", but instead to actually give feedback as though you expect it to change. That's what a Beta is for after all: testing and collecting feedback.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:55 am

Modal wrote:Well, there are already tank weapons in the beta. But they've got fast attack speeds, for warrior tanks.

kalbear wrote:In other words, it's the same situation as before - either go for a warrior weapon and miss out on threat or go for a threat weapon and miss out on defensive stats.

Well, except now it's only a small nerf, whereas before, it was a massive nerf. There's nothing saying Blizzard hasn't balanced HotR threat around the idea that a fast weapon will be used.
Last edited by moduspwnens on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Modal » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:55 am

moduspwnens wrote:This is true, but in that case there are NO epic Paladin tanking weapons. You're always gonna be taking a weapon that's better suited for a caster, because none of them have defensive stats on them, and all of them have intellect.

And yet, everybody immediately saw that the Amani Punisher and Cudgel of Consecration were ideal paladin tank weapons, and what little competition we had for those (from ele shaman, moonkin, and shadow priests) had several other items to choose from already. They were quite clearly designed with tankadins in mind. All I'm saying is I doubt there will be weapons designed with tankadins in mind in release WotLK.

The fact that there will be some weapons designed to be optimal for other tanks that we will use to get by doesn't show that this is false.
Last edited by Modal on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modal

Postby Modal » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:56 am

Dorvan wrote:Yep, I fail at reading.

As I said above, the correct response it not to QQ saying "zomg Blizz won't fix it poor us", but instead to actually give feedback as though you expect it to change. That's what a Beta is for after all: testing and collecting feedback.

I wish I could post on the beta forums!

I've already made several suggestions in the paladin class forums but good luck getting a post read there...
Modal

Next

Return to WotLK