Remove Advertisements

Guarded by the Light change

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Guarded by the Light change

Postby Teloc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Guarded by the light has changed into a flat 15% redux in mana cost for consecration, holy wrath, and avengers shield per rank.

So its now 2 points for a flat 30% cheaper cast.
Teloc

Postby Nymeros » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 pm

Gah. Now it's a good talent, but there's too much bloat to grab it.

PROT NEEDS A DIET, NOW!
befriend (v.): To use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
Nymeros

Postby Teloc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:47 pm

Yeah, if the wowhead values on mana cost are true, then its a

442 mana saved on Consecration *1032 cost*

355 mana saved on holy wrath * which is instant now with a 30 second cooldown*

523 mana saved on Avenger's Shield *which still is 30 seconds cooldown by only a .5 sec cast.*
Teloc

Postby Lore » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:49 pm

Really depends on how often those skills are still used. If Consecration is still part of the main threat rotation it's probably good, but depending on the scaling of the new abilities that may not be the case.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Petrus » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:52 pm

I'm getting tired of finding what I think might be a good talent tree only to find that OMG I GET ANOTHER GOOD TALENT and I already have too few talent points. WTB talent that gives me five more talent points.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Teloc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:53 pm

Maybe, but if you can afford a cheaper Consecration then it wouldn't hurt to toss it in the rotation, plus it would make ae tanking the lower instances a bit easier on the mana pool.
Teloc

Postby Tahl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:02 pm

So they increased the cost of all those spells by 50%, then gave us the option of reducing it by 30% for 2 talent points, and we're happy with it. :lol:

Honestly I was looking forward to the original mechanics since it gave us something to "watch for" like warriors with Revenge. It didn't fit neatly into a rotation but could come up unpredictably, such that I'd be forced to decide on the fly if I should break my rotation to throw consecration down. Plus when it procced in a big group of mobs you'd get that happy feeling like you do with Reckoning procs. Something to break up the pattern a bit.

Now it's passive and doesn't require any extra thinking. After we finish theorycrafting the optimal rotation for bosses, we'll put it all into a macro and be back to facerolling while reading maintankadin.

I think I'll stick to rank 6 consecrate for mana savings, unless they increase its cost. And with all the new threat moves, I don't know that I'll be tossing the shield constantly during the fight either unless I'm in an infinite-mana situation, in which case it won't matter much if it costs a little less every 30 seconds.

Oh well... these two points can go to improved judgements or something.
Tahl

Postby Airanna » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:18 pm

I was still debating with myself whether to bother with this talent, now looks like the choice has been made for me. Might pick it up while levelling, but as soon as I hit Naxx it'll go out the window.
Airanna

Postby Dorvan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:43 pm

Why do I feel less than enthusiastic about have to spend 2 twos in an already bloated tree just to get the mana efficiency on my skills back up to the level they're at untalented right now?

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Gamingdevil » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:29 am

Dorvan wrote:Why do I feel less than enthusiastic about have to spend 2 twos in an already bloated tree just to get the mana efficiency on my skills back up to the level they're at untalented right now?

This, it was the only talent more or less suited not to take and now they made it "ZOMG must have" as well, just because the mana cost scaled up way too much. Someone direct Blizz to the "How to improve the prot tree" or whatever it's called, pls.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Noradin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:50 am

I liked the old version better - it was usles for avengers shield pulls but thats ok.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:04 am

This change is not live yet as far as I could tell.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby QuantumDelta » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:42 am

The old version is significantly better in better gear than most people are running around in, which may be why they changed it.

Either that or they just nerfed it intentionally, but most of my mates who've got in (admittedly I only really trust one of their opinions as a paladin tank :P) we weren't really using consec unless aoe tanking, so I guess ultimately it wont make that huge a difference until 35% hp@boss...
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Sharlos » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:00 am

So now we have 2 talents that reduce the mana cost of essential tanking abilities?

Eh, I think the talent should be scrapped and/or made baseline.
Sharlos

Postby Vanifae » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:02 am

QuantumDelta wrote:The old version is significantly better in better gear than most people are running around in, which may be why they changed it.

The "old Version" is still the Live version.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Next

Return to WotLK