Remove Advertisements

Wotlk... doubts with gears

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Tev » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:01 pm

Karock wrote:
If we're looking at the old system, you knew that getting spell damage would benefit every spell you have. Every damn one. Now we're going to be using strength, which means that consecrate/ret aura/holy shield are going to fall by the wayside in terms of TPS.

Lols OH NOES NOW RET AURA WON'T SCALE QQ

Sorry dude but that was just pretty funny and it seems to me you're grasping at straws if you're bringing up a spell that doesn't scale now as a "setback" for wotlk.

Seriously though, if they are switching us over to str based threat, then all our abilities that we regularly use for threat need to scale based on str. Ret aura is 1 thing as we can potentially have a holy pally run that, but holy shield is a big threat mechanic for us.

Blizzard said in an interview (think it was the WWI) there will be bosses in the end game raids that would work better with one class of tank over the others.

It also seemed there was a nod that Warriors would be the best tank for single-target boss tanks (most of the tank and spank bosses), Deathknights would work best against bosses that unleashed spell damage and AoEs, Paladins versus bosses that released adds, and feral druids having their own unique place in the line-up.

So its official, bring a pally for trash adds, but the warriors is still the raid MT... I see a lot of tankadins sitting outside the instance waiting for their turn to shine again. I hope that statement only refers to ideal tanking, but still allows any of the tanking classes to fill all needed roles if with a slight increase in difficulty and need for skill/tactics. Otherwise a lot of guild set ups will be;

Warrior MT
Warrior/Druid OT
DK Spell tank, can dps when not tanking (if the dual spec thing gets added)
Pally trash tank, will have to respec/regear (most likely holy) for everything else.

Amran has the right idea though, we'll be powerful at the start, but less so when we complete the forced shift from "paladin" gear to "warrior" gear.
Tev

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:04 pm

Tev:

You've convinced me.

*Runs around screaming*

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! HAAAAAALP!!!

*ahem*

Or maybe we shouldn't get our knickers in a twist over the levelling blues/greens and wait for the D4/T7 gear?
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:08 pm

Oh and FYI "work better with one class" doesn't mean "completely invalidates the other three classes".

As an example: Shade of Akama is trivial with a Paladin Tank or two, but not too much harder without one.

There will be some groups who want to min/max their lineup for every progression encounter, but they represent a small percentage of the groups doing the content.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Exalt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:32 am

Tev wrote:Seriously though, if they are switching us over to str based threat, then all our abilities that we regularly use for threat need to scale based on str.

this.
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Erendis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:41 am

Exalt wrote:
Tev wrote:Seriously though, if they are switching us over to str based threat, then all our abilities that we regularly use for threat need to scale based on str.

this.

Agreed. At the moment it looks like we will need multiple stats to make all our threat abilities work. Are we doing threat with physical or spell damage? At the moment I have no idea which Blizzard will have us do.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:06 am

Erendis wrote:
Exalt wrote:

this.

Agreed. At the moment it looks like we will need multiple stats to make all our threat abilities work. Are we doing threat with physical or spell damage? At the moment I have no idea which Blizzard will have us do.

I think atm all of our abilities except Consecration and Avenger's Shield scale with strength (assuming HSS benefits from its block value), and they should scale more with stamina (since we get spellpower from it now). We still won't have the same threat synergy of warriors, but it won't matter because the other stat we're using is stamina, which we're stacking anyway.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Arjuna » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:58 am

moduspwnens wrote:
Erendis wrote:
Exalt wrote:

this.

I think atm all of our abilities except Consecration and Avenger's Shield scale with strength (assuming HSS benefits from its block value), and they should scale more with stamina (since we get spellpower from it now). We still won't have the same threat synergy of warriors, but it won't matter because the other stat we're using is stamina, which we're stacking anyway.

and for pure MH-style aoe tanking perhaps switch a few bits to extra spellpower for consecration/wrath spamming? Multiple tank gears for different situations...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby DeadlyRabbit » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:07 am

Tev wrote:
So its official, bring a pally for trash adds, but the warriors is still the raid MT... I see a lot of tankadins sitting outside the instance waiting for their turn to shine again. I hope that statement only refers to ideal tanking, but still allows any of the tanking classes to fill all needed roles if with a slight increase in difficulty and need for skill/tactics. Otherwise a lot of guild set ups will be;

Warrior MT
Warrior/Druid OT
DK Spell tank, can dps when not tanking (if the dual spec thing gets added)
Pally trash tank, will have to respec/regear (most likely holy) for everything else.

That is how it is right now, but palys can still MT bosses so nothing changes in the next expansion, not sure what you are thinking, did you expect blizzard to rework warriors to be nothing but a dps and OT class so Palys would be the best single target tank as well as aoe tank?
DeadlyRabbit

Postby Exalt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:35 am

moduspwnens wrote:
Erendis wrote:
Exalt wrote:

this.

I'm fine with our aoe-threat abilities scaling with stamina. However, I just can't shake the feeling that 30% won't come anywhere near to the un-salved threat of a mage/lock going all out, unless they start throwing spellpower on some of our L80 set-pieces... which... uh... I thought they were trying to get away from.

Again, this is one of those things that we won't know until we see the L80 gear, but it's shaping up to be a fairly substantial gap in our threat generation abilities given the gear we can currently see.
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Previous

Return to WotLK