Spec for levelling as tankadin L70+ wotlk

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby snowwight » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:03 pm

If nothing changes, seems like prot will be a pretty horrible leveling spec in comparison to ret. And particularly with the new hshield slam, you should be able to tank 5 mans just fine as ret.
Tankadin since before it was a good idea
snowwight

Postby Hammerjudge » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:15 am

I'm undecided. Ret looks really excellent now, so I might level that way.
If I could come up with a viable hybrid for 5-man tanking and dps, that'd be my preference. Perhaps something like 0/27/34.

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sZx0tIxc0MZEf0t0c0Aoo
Hammerjudge
Maintankadonor

Postby Oniyoh » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:29 am

moduspwnens wrote:I'll be prot, running instances from 70-80. I'll come back to the quests later for all the extra gold and reputation.

Exactly what I want to do. I am not much of one to want to leave my tanking behind, and besides all the new talents we get in WotLK I am pumped to learn the instances as fast as I can.

I'll probably throw things around when it comes out and take reckoning, maybe drop precision and wherever I can find my other two points.
Oniyoh- level 80-Elune

-Your friendly neighborhood paladin-
Oniyoh

Postby Base » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:59 am

snowwight wrote:If nothing changes, seems like prot will be a pretty horrible leveling spec in comparison to ret. And particularly with the new hshield slam, you should be able to tank 5 mans just fine as ret.

I don't know - with shield slap and a nice BV set we should be able whack out some decent dps. Combine that with a high white damage weapon and reckoning and you're on to a winner...
Base

Postby Hammerjudge » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:44 am

Elthar wrote:I don't know - with shield slap and a nice BV set we should be able whack out some decent dps. Combine that with a high white damage weapon and reckoning and you're on to a winner...

Maybe you're right. Some rough figures:

1h wpn = 100 dps
shield slam lerarned @L75 with 200% of BV, say your BV is 600 = 1200, every 6 seconds = 200 dps
avenger's shield, every 30s, let's guess say = 1000 damage = 33 dps
seal/judge combo, guessing say = 100 dps
consecration, low ranked = 50 dps

Just done quickly, that's 480 dps, which isn't terrible.
Hammerjudge
Maintankadonor

Postby Joren » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:54 am

Got a nice team for meself, shadow priest, lock and a resto duidui, all very capable players. I will probably play prot and run instances with them all the way to 80, "soon".
Joren

Postby Bereid » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:51 pm

ARogers wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:Is anyone else gonna be farming BM trash til 73 to avoid the rush? Or did I just let my secret out?

I was thinking more along the lines of farming the mobs ouside of BT for stuff. Also, between you, me, and the loads of people that read this, I'm going to clear out my quest log and do 25x quests ready to turn in in SMV. That way it is almost an automatic 250k xp.

i'm not 100% positive here but didn't blizz do something so you couldn't do this when TBC came out? I think if you already had the quests completed then they didn't give XP so maybe you could do like 25 collection quests and get all but the last one or something =P
Bereid

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:57 pm

Hammerjudge wrote:
Elthar wrote:I don't know - with shield slap and a nice BV set we should be able whack out some decent dps. Combine that with a high white damage weapon and reckoning and you're on to a winner...

Maybe you're right. Some rough figures:

1h wpn = 100 dps
shield slam lerarned @L75 with 200% of BV, say your BV is 600 = 1200, every 6 seconds = 200 dps
avenger's shield, every 30s, let's guess say = 1000 damage = 33 dps
seal/judge combo, guessing say = 100 dps
consecration, low ranked = 50 dps

Just done quickly, that's 480 dps, which isn't terrible.

Ret is going to be king for mana efficiency however, due to the scaling of JoW with AP along with Judgments of the Wise, and when it comes to solo leveling, mana efficiency is what matters most.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:27 pm

ill be leveling as prot , and ill take it slow , do all the quests in all zones , doing instances aswell
Io.Draco

Postby Dragonzbane » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:50 am

I'll tell you what was awesome...
Entering the Portal at 12:15am and seeing very few people in the outlands.
That first night was absolutely grand.

Eventually, people caught up to where you were in quest progression and things started to be a PITA. I eventually ended up heading to Zangermarsh early which wasn't too bad but again people eventually caught up.

Ideally, I will hop off the boat where ever I decide to start off and skip that whole first zone. Head to either the second or third zone in progression and be in solitude for a while.

My only issue is that I may be too interested in the storyline to skip any zones and come back to them later.

Regardless, I hope there are any quests like that stupid Fifi deal.
Dragonzbane

Postby Dragonzbane » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:52 am

Another thing is that I will do more research on Reputation gains and factions.

I messed up HH and CE by not doing enough instances early on and making the grind much harder.
Dragonzbane

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:59 am

Mods are slacking! Move to WotLK forum!
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Hammerjudge » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:30 am

Dorvan wrote:Ret is going to be king for mana efficiency however, due to the scaling of JoW with AP along with Judgments of the Wise, and when it comes to solo leveling, mana efficiency is what matters most.

Actually it might be as simple as that. Spec full maintankadin, but wear attack power gear for levelling, otherwise playing the same way. I wonder about the dps it'd do and the downtime overall.

You'd do more white dps and gain more mana from the seal/judge. Might work well.
Hammerjudge
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:45 am

Going off almost 2 year old memory, BUT

Right before tBC came out, Blizzard made it so any quest already marked 'Complete' in your quest log would not yeild experience.
honorshammer

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:46 am

Honorshammer wrote:Going off almost 2 year old memory, BUT

Right before tBC came out, Blizzard made it so any quest already marked 'Complete' in your quest log would not yeild experience.

Orly?
I rule.
moduspwnens

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK