Remove Advertisements

Wrath of The Lich King Gear Needs

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Wrath of The Lich King Gear Needs

Postby Ivliss » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:32 pm

I understand if this might be a bit early, but what types of changes in our gear do we need to look for with the Wrath of the Lich King. Any changes beyond spell damage, stamina and mitgation?
Ivliss/ 70 Prot Pally/ Baelgun
Ivliss

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:54 pm

It's a bit early for that. We don't know for sure yet.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Skwigelf » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:09 pm

With the Stam->Spell Power conversion talent it almost seems like the current SSO warrior pants and chest might be better pally tanking gear.

Of course with the upcoming changes they will probably re-itemize some of our gear stats. So who knows at this point.
Skwigelf

Postby gmf1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:12 pm

New blacksmithing green set (6 pieces)

Armour 6507
Strength 291 - 145 BV (If its true that 2 strength will give us 1 BV)
Stam 270 - 81 SD (With the new talent that gives us 30% of stam in SD)
Defence Rating 219

Not too bad for 6 pieces of green gear :)
Last edited by gmf1 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmf1
Maintankadonor

Postby Lumenactio » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:10 pm

2 strength to 1 block value.
Lumenactio

Postby Seloei » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:45 am

it's way too early to say anything about wotlk. For instance, currently the holy tree is so OP that it will get nerfed atleast once.

We won't know whats going to happen before wotlk hits and the first major patch hits. After that, you can start guessing.

Also... there will be no difference on what pieces of gear you have now, since even a lvl75 blue has the same itemlevel as currently SWP drops do.
Seloei

Postby Morendin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:49 am

Seloei wrote:it's way too early to say anything about wotlk. For instance, currently the holy tree is so OP that it will get nerfed atleast once.

Wait whaaaat??

How is the holy tree OP? when I took a look at it, the first thought I got was more 'well, there goes the holy paladin raid spot'.

PS
I'm assuming you're not talking about the screwed up talent tree on some sites that's showing 10/20min CD reduction on 20m cooldown LoH, chaincasting LoH would indeed be OP.
Morendin

Postby Loendoran » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 am

Morendin wrote:
Seloei wrote:it's way too early to say anything about wotlk. For instance, currently the holy tree is so OP that it will get nerfed atleast once.

Wait whaaaat??

How is the holy tree OP? when I took a look at it, the first thought I got was more 'well, there goes the holy paladin raid spot'.

PS
I'm assuming you're not talking about the screwed up talent tree on some sites that's showing 10/20min CD reduction on 20m cooldown LoH, chaincasting LoH would indeed be OP.

Especially considering that LoH no longer drains all of your mana...
Loendoran

Postby Seloei » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:34 am

was referring to the MMO champ talent trees that were datamined.

40 yard holy shock which reduces holy light cast by 2.5s.
Hot, as big as a aoe heal as druids have that is not cast at the paladin but at target.

With the currrent layout and same itemization, holy palas would be OP again.

But, as i said. It's way too early to trust any of the leaks before the first major patch has been applied. Things will get changed a lot before its "stable"

edit: Not to mention it is possible for them to go deep enough into prot to get the raidwide -30% damage reduceing bubble and the 3% healing, +1830 armor aura.
Last edited by Seloei on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seloei

Postby Nathanniel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:34 am

I'm starting to think that strength is definitly the new threat stat. There's a green tanking set already posted around where strength is featured in all pieces.

Furthermore:

Tanking Shield
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... em_048.jpg

Tanking cloak
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... em_041.jpg

Tanking hands
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... em_040.jpg

Tanking ring
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... em_017.jpg

Strength, strength and more strength!

I think it's quite safe to assume strength is there for a reason. Furthermore one of our tier 1 talents in protection is Divine Strength... I remember that in TBC tanking pieces had mitigation stats and stamina, but the only tanking pieces with strength were mostly warrior's sets...

With these new pieces I think it's safe to assume strength will be our primary threat stat.

There is just a couple of pieces that have me confused:

Tanking/PVP ring?
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... em_052.jpg

But I guess it's meant to be some kind of hybrid ring...

Mace 1
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... em_046.jpg

It's a main hand mace. And it's very fast. It has a lot of stamina. But it's special ability is ignoring opponent's armor... So is this for PVP or tanking? Because DPS, stamina and speed-wise it looks very similiar to tier 6 tanking weapons.

I guess this is to make it easier on tanks to be able to DPS and tank at the same time using nearly the same stuff. They had mentioned something about improving tank DPS. Another good example is the changes at spell power mechanics and how spell damage stuff can be used by both healers or dps casters.
Nathanniel

Postby Soltyr » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:53 am

Seloei wrote:For instance, currently the holy tree is so OP that it will get nerfed atleast once.

I'd say more a mana burner than OP.

Casting BoL twice does cost 4660 mana and twice no-crit HL does cost 3760 mana, for a total of 8420 mana for just 4 cast. I don't think it's that cheap even in WotlK w/o a proper scalable mana regen ability.
Oh.. the funny thing: they are planing to make holy paladin the speedy-healer -> more mana burned :P
Last edited by Soltyr on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soltyr

Postby Seloei » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:59 am

all spell costs are through the roof, not just that so they will probably have 20k mana or so once fully "raidbuffed".

It's way too early to say if it's going to stay the same or not. For instance, resto shamans got no new spells but one new talent. They quite probably will get more. Theres nothing new for enhancement etc...

Speculation games will not give you anything useful until it's in your grasp and wasn't nerfed.
Seloei

Postby Soltyr » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:15 am

Seloei wrote:all spell costs are through the roof, not just that so they will probably have 20k mana or so once fully "raidbuffed".

It's way too early to say if it's going to stay the same or not. For instance, resto shamans got no new spells but one new talent. They quite probably will get more.

Resto got a new baseline wep enchant + 3 new talent: Cleanse Spirit, Spiritl Link and Ancestral Awakening (proc, so free cost).

But the point is not the "new" spell, but the mana. It's true saying "all spell costs are through the roof" but holy paladin remains with its BoW and the mana/5 on gear as regen (SA is nothing if you are the only healer).
Talking about shaman they have: Water Shield, Mana Spring, Mana Tide, and a Water Shield Orb on HW/LHW crited + mana/5gear.
Talking about Priest and Druid just one word: spirit.

ps: Enha shaman got more than expected :P
Soltyr

Postby Verb » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:39 pm

That stam-> spellpower talent seems oddly rediculous, My tankadin's at something like 1421 stam with a fort, so three points in that talent gives me 426 more spell power, which I suppose makes up for the loss of salv?
Verb

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Verb wrote:That stam-> spellpower talent seems oddly rediculous, My tankadin's at something like 1421 stam with a fort, so three points in that talent gives me 426 more spell power, which I suppose makes up for the loss of salv?

The idea is that eventually we'll have no spellpower on our gear and will be getting it all from stamina, but in the interim (leveling, and possibly Naxx) where we're using TBC tanking gear with WotLK talents, Tankadins will likely have retardedly high threat :P

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to WotLK