Remove Advertisements

"Paladins won't be great tanks"

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Tiandelin » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:21 am

Guillex wrote:(3) Most Warrior threat generating abilities come from weapon-based attacks, whereas ours come from our SD modified judgments/consecration/etc.

Seems like that's going to be changing, though, with the two attacks we'll be picking up. Granted, they'll still be offering bosses more parry opportunities.

In any case, as it has been noted elsewhere, it's unlikely that shield block rating will be a typical stat for tanking gear since death knights can't block. Thus, warriors are going to be stuck with a low block chance, though perhaps mitigated by class-specific tier sets. Whatever the case, with decent block value (which will be needed for Shield of Righteousness), paladins should take more consistent melee damage than warriors since we'll block everything.

I wouldn't be too surprised if we ended up taking about equal damage, with warriors being slightly spikier but able to reduce more damage against predictable large hits thanks to their new double-BV shield block.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby guillex » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:38 am

Tiandelin wrote:
Guillex wrote:(3) Most Warrior threat generating abilities come from weapon-based attacks, whereas ours come from our SD modified judgments/consecration/etc.

Seems like that's going to be changing, though, with the two attacks we'll be picking up. Granted, they'll still be offering bosses more parry opportunities.

I agree it's going to be changing. But, at the moment, warriors spam weapon based abilities that can parry-haste bosses, whereas all of our threat abilities are based on yellow damage.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:05 am

Guillex wrote:
Tiandelin wrote:

I agree it's going to be changing. But, at the moment, warriors spam weapon based abilities that can parry-haste bosses, whereas all of our threat abilities are based on yellow damage.

You can virtually count on an extra attack from a warrior landing every 1.5 seconds, as Shield Slam, Devastate, and Revenge are all melee attacks that can be parried. The only time a GCD is not used that could be parried would be to keep up Thunder Clap, Demo Shout, and Commanding Shout, as far as I know.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby juggi » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:06 am

Ask our guilds prot warrior how much that passive 4% helped him on Naj'entus last night. He either didn't have rage to shield block, or got parry gibbed and ate 2 crushing blows on incoming, caught healers asleep ( I was judging the mob) and dropped like a cheap hooker. Wishing I'd have just tanked him.
juggi

Postby kvark » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:24 am

All this is not really that relevant in my opinion, it turns out that normally it's not the class that is the deciding element to if you are a good tank or not - it's the player that controls it. The choice of class is merely the preferred selection of tools, and you've seen people in here tank end-game bosses from way before a paladin tank's buff to reach par with the tools of a warrior or feral. Still, with sub-par tools, we've often found ourselves to be the preferred tank.

That's not gonna change.
kvark

Previous

Return to WotLK