Remove Advertisements

New WotLK tanking style

All things related to the expansion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Dorvan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:11 am

Well, I think Imp judgment is pretty much out the window at this point. The main reason it was useful at all is that we had all that unused GCD room, that's clearly no longer the case. I'm also assuming that our shield slam/swipe moves will generate more single target threat than consecrate for the moment.

On a non-exorcisable mob I'm seeing the following:

0.0 Holy Shield
1.5 Judge/re-seal
3.0 Shield of the Righteous
4.5 Hammer of the Righteous
6.0 Consecrate
8.0 Holy Shield
9.5 SotR
11.0 HotR
11.5 Judge
12.5 Reseal
14.0 Cons
15.5 SotR
17.0 HS
18.5 HotR
20.0 Free GCD
21.5 Judge/SotR
23.0 Reseal

It's definitely not really a fixed rotation anymore, kind of like shadow priests are now. The fudge-factor in Holy Shield refreshes should really help (as well as whether we really need 100% uptime on HS).

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Gideon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:15 am

Consecration in TBC
Consecration in WotLK

Mana cost goes up *sharply* in WotLK. There are a lot of unknowns but we do know that there are no new ranks of spiritual attunement and the plate we're sharing with warriors will not have int on it (not that this ever bothered us).

I think consecrate will be a luxury rather than a basic part of our higher threat cycle as it is now.
Gideon

Postby Arnock » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:20 am

so, what will you be doing without sanctity aura worldie?

no more 40/21
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Fizzgig » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:24 am

Gideon wrote:Consecration in TBC
Consecration in WotLK

Mana cost goes up *sharply* in WotLK. There are a lot of unknowns but we do know that there are no new ranks of spiritual attunement and the plate we're sharing with warriors will not have int on it (not that this ever bothered us).

I think consecrate will be a luxury rather than a basic part of our higher threat cycle as it is now.

Well half of the time you'll have Guarded by the Light I'm assuming with the high dodge/parry values we already have.

Also like Lore said earlier, it looks like we've got a lot more threat options. When we're aoe tanking we can use our Consecrate/Wrath and when we're single targeting we can use our new Shield/Hammer skills. I know warriors got a couple AoE tanking abilities so it's probably their way of giving all classes options to take care of both more effectively. The qq'ing trash is hard without a paladin tank is a bit old.
Fizzgig

Postby Mordinm » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:41 am

The way we tank honestly doesn't seem to be all that different. The big things that get added are single target threat moves (aside from the Holy Wrath Change.) Once we see some more solid testing of the single target threat moves a proper order to use them won't be hard to figure out, options tend to just give you more ways to do it wrong. You look at what's cooldown is up and you use your highest threat option. After all is said and done you're going to still be using consecrate to keep everything on you and single target moves on what your dps is focusing.

I see mana management becoming more key as it looks like mana output will be scaling up faster then our mana pools. Having to cut lower threat/mana abilities out of your rotation, perhaps even in progression content, is a real possibility.
Mordinm

Postby lesurk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:56 am

What do you guys think about SoV in Wrath? It seems like it will proc every swing now, and unified hit mechanics should mean fewer resist problems.

Now:
Fills the Paladin with holy power, granting each melee attack a chance to cause 150 Holy damage over 15 sec. This effect can stack up to 5 times. Only one Seal can be active on the Paladin at any one time. Lasts 30 sec.

Wrath:
Fills the Paladin with holy power, granting each melee attack additional Holy damage over 18 sec. This effect can stack up to 5 times. Only one Seal can be active on the Paladin at any one time. Lasts 30 sec.
lesurk

Postby Dorvan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:07 am

Definitely a positive change. We'll have to see details on the scaling, but with SotR/HotR in our arsenal now I see us likely using SoV all the time on bosses, relying on SotR and HotR for our initial threat while SoV is still ramping up.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:10 am

A very interesting chance, if SoV/C are always applied then we got our new tank seal.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jonlo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:08 pm

Also keep in mind that Holy Shield is 10 Seconds long, 8 sec CD now.
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Dorvan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Jonlo wrote:Also keep in mind that Holy Shield is 10 Seconds long, 8 sec CD now.

Yep, the posted rotations take that into account. It looks like a lot of the time HS will get refreshed at around 9 seconds....the extra flexibility is certainly quite nice with all the abilities in our rotation now.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:23 pm

You're also planning around refreshing HS constantly, which might not be as important anymore if they remove crushing blows. It might end up being better, at least from a threat standpoint, to let HS drop off while you get HoR and Shield of Righteousness in.

We need an abbreviation for Shield of Righteousness, we've already got an SoR. ShR? ShoR?
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:26 pm

ShoR, IMO. Much better to remember since you can actually pronounce.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Shield Slap?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:27 pm

"for sor, i picked that hor and hit it before shor could get in!"
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:28 pm

Worldie wrote:Shield Slap?
Also, refer to my idea of "holy slap" for more single target threat.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to WotLK