Remove Advertisements

Questions on stats/gear on sunwell

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Questions on stats/gear on sunwell

Postby Gseckzz » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:55 pm

I have been checking out some of the prot pallys in this forums and it made me think...

Is mongoose a better enchant than +40 spl damage?
At what point is mongoose better?

Is the illidan shield better than the sunwell shield?
For me the illidan shield proc rate is too low to be better than pure stats.

Im at the 49/12 spec and have been wondering hows 40/21, how huge is the tps upgrade?

Also im trying to get more dodge, 21% i know is low... 30% block is too much too... Is it gear based or should i start gemming dodge or agil?
Gseckzz

Postby DJSticky » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:18 pm

I used +40 spell damage until Muru, honestly I could still use +40 and not even notice the difference but I was all into Min/maxing my avoidance.

I prefer the SBB over the Bulwark but one has not dropped for us yet, I would most likely use the Bulwark on Brut still, not sure on that one though.

The threat difference from 40/21 is huge, but no need to switch to it if your threat is fine vs your DPS with a standard 41+ spec. Before you have a good amount of gear from SWP and doubly so if you don't have every piece of gear pre SWP AD will kick in for you on trash. I'm thinking the Gauntlet to twins in specific.

Avoidance just comes with gear and which pieces you choose to wear. If you are just starting SWP I would not gem for it because you will be trying to meat the EH requirements of the encounters if you are MTing. I do stack avoidance sky high on Muru with 2x 10 dodge gems in my T6 shoulders but I have another set of shoulders I use more often. For MTing the other encounters I want a bit more EH. Again avoidance just comes with gear, even in full stam/armor (EH) gear I still sit around 31 dodge buffed and the only thing I have gemmed non +15 stam is an Agi/Stam gem in my twins shoulders and a Def/Stam gem in my boots for my meta.

The best advice in gearing I can give is just be ready to up your effective health goals if you are MTing. radience really nukes your avoidance so stam and armor are king. Once you have the EH it's back to the usual, more avoidance more threat whatever you feel that you need. If you have been tanking for a while and gone atleast T5 through Illidan on farm as a tank you know how to get a feel for each encounter and figure out what your best setup is.
DJSticky

Postby Lucit » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:58 am

DJSticky wrote:I do stack avoidance sky high on Muru with 2x 10 dodge gems in my T6 shoulders

Wha? 20 defense + 3 dodge > 20 dodge
Lucit

Postby DJSticky » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:26 am

Lucit wrote:
DJSticky wrote:I do stack avoidance sky high on Muru with 2x 10 dodge gems in my T6 shoulders

Wha? 20 defense + 3 dodge > 20 dodge

Yes I know, by like .15 or something like that. **edit** .171 is the exact number I think**

When I socketed the shoulders I had the spinels and we were low on Lionseyes, we just got our gem vendor this Monday.
DJSticky

Postby Lieris » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:44 am

Regarding Mongoose I've found you can get away with it with a 0/40/21 spec. That said the uptime is lousy because you're probably going to be using oils (+WOA) instead of windfury and this along with no strike abilities means you're not going to get a lot of procs just from auto attacking. In my experience you're looking at a bit under 1 PPM.

It's as good as it gets though as a tanking enchant so what can you do, there are no other alternatives if you're okay on threat.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:13 am

My personal experience shows that Judgement can proc mongoose, but might just be a case.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Cleanse » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:45 am

Up until K'j you can do whatever you want if you only do gimmick fights. On Kj you actually need some solid gear and ability. The adds hit really hard, need to be picked up asap etc.

Going to try out some dodge gems this week and see how it goes. Hopefully the avoidance helps.
Cleanse

Postby HiImRagnos » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:27 pm

Id honestly get a new helm and ring if you want less block. The faceplate off illidan would be a nice upgrade or even the t6 helm. With those upgrades you wouldnt have to gem for avoidance and can focus on hp.
I hate double stamina trinkets.
HiImRagnos

Postby Gseckzz » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

I have been trying to get a new helm.. the illidan helm and the t6 helm droped last week, but i didnt have the dkp because i blew it all on the sunwell shield :cry:
Gseckzz

Postby Eender » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:25 pm

I've cleared every event in Sunwell as prot and my personal opinion on weapon enchant is 40 spell damage. The static benefit of the enchant highly outweighs the proc from mongoose and it's sporadic at best buff. As far as gemming/gearing goes the gear you get pretty much has the avoidance u want on it. I still gem for EH for most of my gear. Some things require more avoidance than others but for the most part you can never go wrong with EH.

Samsonite! Man, I was way off...
Eender

Return to Sunwell Plateau