Remove Advertisements

PvP trinket and conflag at the Eredar Twins

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

PvP trinket and conflag at the Eredar Twins

Postby Mithos » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:05 pm

Ok so, had a night learning them now in reverse order (Sarcolash first). Warrior starts off tanking as MT and me OT (can sometimes swap due to confound) but we have both been the target of conflag when all is well and good.

Raidleader said that everyone including tanks should have the pvp trinket on and I was pretty sure I've never seen any palatank here report using it, although I haven't been keeping up to date with all the posts as of late. Aside from fucking up my crush immunity setup by equipping the PvP trinket to remove conflag (popped wings and then got immediately targeted by it a few times...), any idea why this conflag is hitting the warrior who is clearly first on threat on Sarcolash?

My understanding of the conflag is that it hits people who are high on agg on Alythress rather than Sarco but I've seen conflicting things around different places.
Mithos

Postby Lucit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:28 pm

We have both tanks use a PvP trinket - just trinket your first (and hopefully only) conflag. Note that the PvP trinket doesn't remove confounding blow - if you get confound->conflag, you either need to bubble or tell everyone to run the fuck away.

As for conflag hitting the tank... I've never seen conflag hit Sacrolash's current target, are you sure that's what's happening? Conflag hits #2-6(ish) on Sacrolash's aggro table, has nothing to do with threat on Alythess.
Lucit

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:00 pm

From my sample size of 1, you should take divine shield off your bar and just forget about wearing a trinket!
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lieris » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:51 pm

We had her cast conflag on our top aggro tank whilst the other one was confounded today. I think it's just an anomaly that shouldn't otherwise happen so you can't really make allowances for it. That or Omen was being flakey. *shrugs*

Looking at WWS our OT gets conflagration only once on average and for that you have bubble. The PVP trinket is only going to let you escape one conflag so if you need that trinket slot to stay uncrushable I would forgo it. If you get a second conflagration then that's just bad luck, the DPS can just hold back a bit, the enrage timer is not difficult if people stay alive. Don't gimp yourself for an event when are there are good odds on it not happening and is by no means a wipe anyway.

I DPS here but that's my impression anyway.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Lucit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:04 pm

Lieris wrote:We had her cast conflag on our top aggro tank whilst the other one was confounded today. I think it's just an anomaly that shouldn't otherwise happen so you can't really make allowances for it. That or Omen was being flakey. *shrugs*

I would guess that what you saw there was the following:

- conflag cast starts on OT
- MT gets confounded
- aggro switches to OT
- OT (new MT) gets conflag

Still manageable - just means your tank needs to run away while tanking. It's bad luck, but not necessarily a wipe.

Lieris wrote:Looking at WWS our OT gets conflagration only once on average and for that you have bubble. The PVP trinket is only going to let you escape one conflag so if you need that trinket slot to stay uncrushable I would forgo it. If you get a second conflagration then that's just bad luck, the DPS can just hold back a bit, the enrage timer is not difficult if people stay alive. Don't gimp yourself for an event when are there are good odds on it not happening and is by no means a wipe anyway.

I DPS here but that's my impression anyway.

I like having two escape methods - PvP trinket for conflag, bubble if I get confound immediately followed by conflag (rare, but very bad). Also nice to be able to just bubble a second conflag if it occurs.
Lucit

Postby Mithos » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Thanks for the response, I was thinking that maybe I was above the MT on threat but he retained aggro (so 101-109%), that would make me the immuen to conflag tank under the "2-6th" assumption. Will pay more attention.

Also if i get felmyst shield next reset I am crush immuen with scorpid sting, so thats not too bad. If not, well, I'll have to risk not using the pvp trinket.
Mithos

Postby Lieris » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Lucit wrote:I like having two escape methods - PvP trinket for conflag, bubble if I get confound immediately followed by conflag (rare, but very bad). Also nice to be able to just bubble a second conflag if it occurs.

That's very true, there's no real right or wrong answer here.

Whether you use the PVP trinket in addition to bubble to escape any eventuality or you use your normal trinkets paladin tanks have a nice little edge on this fight.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Sechs » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:19 pm

If warrior can work around only having one conflag remover i don't see why we should need 2.
Sechs

Postby Lucit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Sechs wrote:If warrior can work around only having one conflag remover i don't see why we should need 2.

Terrible logic. Why intentionally make things more difficult?
Lucit

Postby Elexis » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:41 am

Conflag targets people that are high on threat on sacrolash and therefore healers don't need pvp trinket when killing them in reverse order. While rare, conflag does sometimes target the MT; which 99% of the times means a wipe. Confounding blow + conflag is also something that does happen even though it is rare. This pretty much always means a wipe if you don't have bubble ready.

I really recommend using pvp trinket since its very common you get at least one conflag as OT. I normally start by using AW early so without trinket I have no way of breaking a potential conflag while having forberance. I save the bubble for a potential 2nd conflag or in case I get confounding blow + conflag.
Elexis

Postby Sechs » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:00 am

Lucit wrote:
Sechs wrote:If warrior can work around only having one conflag remover i don't see why we should need 2.

Terrible logic. Why intentionally make things more difficult?

Exactly when you don't need more then one conflag break why make things more difficult?

Beside if you get 2 conflags you fallen way behind on agro and you will most likely not make it anyway.
Instead of gearing one extra trinket that you maybe but not likely will use, Why not gear threat trinket or avoidance if you are not uncrushable? that you are 100% sure to get good use of.

Dunno if we are lucky or something but its very rare that the tanks get more then 1 conflag.
Sechs

Postby Lucit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:28 am

Sechs wrote:Exactly when you don't need more then one conflag break why make things more difficult?

Beside if you get 2 conflags you fallen way behind on agro and you will most likely not make it anyway.
Instead of gearing one extra trinket that you maybe but not likely will use, Why not gear threat trinket or avoidance if you are not uncrushable? that you are 100% sure to get good use of.

Dunno if we are lucky or something but its very rare that the tanks get more then 1 conflag.

Conflag isn't the only thing bubble is useful for. It's saved more than a couple near wipes from confound->conflag.

Besides, if you do get conflagged twice - if you have trinket+bubble available, you *won't* be that far behind on threat. :)
Lucit

Postby Elsie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:45 am

I almost always use divine shield for an unlucky stack of shadow debuffs during a confounding blow. We do the normal strategy and resetting is rougher than normal.
Elsie

Postby Splug » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:22 pm

Elexis wrote:I really recommend using pvp trinket since its very common you get at least one conflag as OT. I normally start by using AW early so without trinket I have no way of breaking a potential conflag while having forberance. I save the bubble for a potential 2nd conflag or in case I get confounding blow + conflag.
I think Elexis has the right idea here: given that tank threat is a concern in Sacrolash-first kill orders, it sounds like burning Avenging Wrath early is a reasonable call. That would leave you vulnerable for the first minute if you're not running a trinket. Also, I heard from one of our paladins that divine shield doesn't remove conflag, it just prevents it from landing - is that correct?

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:32 pm

no, it removes conflag.
In fact, you can still be the target of a conflag with DS up, it just hits everyone around you as normal.
Elsie

Next

Return to Sunwell Plateau