I got put in my place

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Kyrael » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:53 pm

I think anyone who had lvl 70 gear waiting for when they dinged has gone and done something stupid just to try it out. I know I did.

I didn't go for a heroic, though... Just a few minutes after hitting 70 I put on my shiny new gemmed and enchanter Felsteel set and my PLG and went over to the Ruins of Karabor to pull a terrace full of supplicants.

I survived the fight, but used everything I had... pots, both bubbles, bandage, LoH, the works...

Good times.
Kyrael

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:27 am

Salt wrote:"My healing gear was better than my tanking gear for a long time."

Heh. I still remember the first 2-3 weeks we spent in Kara, I was MTing as the only plate wearer and every single piece of healing plate dropped. I was using the shield from Chess to tank with until I hit Exalted with Sha'tar.

Oh and I had them d/e Wrynn Dynasty on the server-first Curator kill. Grats on my blue pants being nerfed a few weeks later.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby VikrumthePally » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:26 am

Just thought I'd throw this out there...

There is a guild that is just in the getting off the ground stages. Maybe 15 people all 70. A couple in mostly kara/badge gear but nothing further. Most have never even been in Kara including myself, my fiance (the 69 shad priest), and my rl best friend (the 70 resto shammy).

Well they were short 3 people last night and said we just plan to do Attumen to give everyone a look at Kara and if you bring you and your 2 friends we'll let you guys roll on whatever drops since it's not an official raid.

We were like sure that sounds like fun. So I get in there and I notice only one other possible tank but he's about short 2k hps than me and in all greens. So I send a tell to the RL saying who's MT'ing and they say you are. So i'm like oh great lol.

Long story short we smoke everything getting to Midnight and Attumen. Once there they lay out the plan. I was to tank Midnight until Attumen showed up in which the warrior would pull him off, then everyone would burn down the horse, then once he gets on Midnight i'd tank it the rest of the way.

Well Attumen laughed at our plan because when the warrior aggro'd him he one shotted the warrior. I see him go down and immediately pull him and get him on me and I proceed to tank Midnight and Attumen at the same time until we wipe with Midnight around 35%. The healers went OOM trying to keep the warrior up once Attumen was on him and couldn't outlast the fight.

We go back in and we say ok just let the pally tank them both. To wrap this up it was much easier and I was easily able to aoe tank both of them never losing aggro once (except when Attumen would randomly run and hit someone).

All done in the same gear I've had since I dinged 70. Yes I know these guys are weak sauce compared to the rest of the place but still I enjoyed it. Restored a little bit of what that heroic took from me that I was speaking of in the OP. :)

Paladin tanking is so FTW.
VikrumthePally

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:38 am

VikrumthePally wrote:I was easily able to aoe tank both of them never losing aggro once (except when Attumen would randomly run and hit someone).
This is probably one of your most important lessons to carry on general tanking: Bosses have special abilities, many of them easily counterable. In this case, attumen won't charge people in melee range. If everyone clusters in, there's no charge ;)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby VikrumthePally » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:44 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
VikrumthePally wrote:I was easily able to aoe tank both of them never losing aggro once (except when Attumen would randomly run and hit someone).
This is probably one of your most important lessons to carry on general tanking: Bosses have special abilities, many of them easily counterable. In this case, attumen won't charge people in melee range. If everyone clusters in, there's no charge ;)

Yeah I suggested that for everyone to stack on top of me once I saw what he was doing. So that he never leaves my melee range. Everyone was doing that early on but just stopped for some reason lol. I need to get on Vent with them so badly.
VikrumthePally

Postby solina » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:07 am

VikrumthePally wrote:We go back in and we say ok just let the pally tank them both. To wrap this up it was much easier and I was easily able to aoe tank both of them never losing aggro once (except when Attumen would randomly run and hit someone).

All done in the same gear I've had since I dinged 70. Yes I know these guys are weak sauce compared to the rest of the place but still I enjoyed it. Restored a little bit of what that heroic took from me that I was speaking of in the OP. :)

You're in for such a treat when you AoE tank the Moroes fight. It's a blast for you and the rest of the raid, and turns a painful fight into a pleasurable one.

I wouldn't recommend that in your current gear though. :!:
solina

Postby VikrumthePally » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:08 am

solina wrote:
VikrumthePally wrote:We go back in and we say ok just let the pally tank them both. To wrap this up it was much easier and I was easily able to aoe tank both of them never losing aggro once (except when Attumen would randomly run and hit someone).

You're in for such a treat when you AoE tank the Moroes fight. It's a blast for you and the rest of the raid, and turns a painful fight into a pleasurable one.

I wouldn't recommend that in your current gear though. :!:

Rofl for sure not. My normal group and I are just getting into instances past BM. Did our first last night. So I hope to get a few upgrades where I am hurting.
VikrumthePally

Postby Levantine » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:41 am

Wait..... am I weird in the fact that I think Moroes is hella fun?

Maybe it's just becaus I don't tank it. Healing that fight as a Priest is awesome.
Levantine

Postby agamemnoch » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:57 am

Moroes is fun when people listen. Hell, doing it with 2 pally tanks is even MORE fun, especially if you have at least 1 priest, as I almost always get either the MS warrior or the ret pally, if not both, in the group.

Tanking moroes and the prot warrior is easy and the preists he hangs with are easy to kill.
Armory Link Above
agamemnoch

Postby Janduin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:05 am

Just wait until you have to tank both Attumen and Midnight or you go OOM in about 2 seconds...and then you'll get to when you go OOM in 2s anyway and have to chug mana pots in order to not lose them, and then when you chug mana pots and still go OOM :D Always funny when a fight gets "harder" with better gear.
Janduin

Postby Tyaera » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:13 am

the trash in the Hellfire instances, with the exception of most mobs in H SH, hits way too hard for my liking.

Try UB or SP, they're a little more forgiving.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby solina » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:52 am

Levantine wrote:Wait..... am I weird in the fact that I think Moroes is hella fun?

Maybe it's just becaus I don't tank it. Healing that fight as a Priest is awesome.

I find that fight to be pure pain without a Pally tank, which is the way I experienced it for about 9 months. Holy Pally add resists trap, cleanses shackle from MS warrior, who eats healer then rest of raid. Rinse, repeat. Or some combination of the same.

Even up until a couple weeks ago I (believed I) didn't have the gear to AoE tank it, so we went traditional with 2-3 CC's.. who would invariably break, and eat somebody, or run into the consecrate so they couldn't get CC'd and then immediately get overtaken by healing aggro..

But walking into the fight with the intention of tanking it all? Pure fun.
solina

Postby solina » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:53 am

Tyaera wrote:the trash in the Hellfire instances, with the exception of most mobs in H SH, hits way too hard for my liking.

Try UB or SP, they're a little more forgiving.

And what H SH lacks in pure punch it makes up for in volume.

Sad that there is a definite tier of "easy heroics" - "moderate heroics" - "challenging heroics" - "you must be T6 to enter heroics", but they all give the same pre-Kara level of gear.
solina

Postby Arcand » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:20 am

solina wrote:Sad that there is a definite tier of "easy heroics" - "moderate heroics" - "challenging heroics" - "you must be T6 to enter heroics", but they all give the same pre-Kara level of gear.

Maybe it made more sense at BC release, when people in dungeon blues were disenchanting Karazhan purples? :) I never got a single heroic tanking drop (except my - snicker - Sun Eater) so I don't know, but maybe the item quality ramped up differently then.

Edit: ...and maybe the reward/challenge ratio made more sense then.
Arcand

Postby VikrumthePally » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:52 am

My last update here as to not beat a dead horse anymore.

Tanked my first heroic yesterday. In a PuG none the less. It was sethekk halls and we had zero CC. We tried using some make shift CC on that 5 pull before ikiss. But I just tanked it all instead.
VikrumthePally

PreviousNext

Return to General