So tonight is my first Kara run.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

So tonight is my first Kara run.

Postby Oniyoh » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:19 am

I hopped server's to Elune a few days ago and the GL/MT wants me on OT for their kara run (which they have downed time and time again.) I am not well geared, I have 481 defense (which I am fixing before the run tonight. About 89 mitigation, and I'll have around 10k hitpoints. I checked with him serveral times and said it was fine. Ok I am excited, it's an honor to even be considered for Kara with gear like mine.

But then there is even better news: The druid doesn't want to MT anymore, he wants me to gear up and take over MT. I am drooling! So I have been rushing the past few days trying to make myself as best as possible, and with the server down for matience I am still a little nervous that I might screw up or do something to tick off my new guildies.

So my questions:
You no longer need the key to enter Kara do you? (Like SH or Arca, you have someone unlock the door and you walk in?)

As a tankadin, what gear am I looking for? I know about the Iron Gauntlets, Pocketwatch, and Sheild from Nightbane. What else am I looking for?

Let's hope tonight is a good start for my raid tanking career, OT or not. :)
Oniyoh- level 80-Elune

-Your friendly neighborhood paladin-
Oniyoh

Postby majorwoo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:26 am

First of all, good luck :)

I recently respec'd my pally from holy and started tanking and I've gotten very lucky with getting almost all of my kara drops. You sound like you already know about 490 defense/ 102.4 uncrushability. (I MT'd kara while still crushable ~95%). It can hurt a lot on prince and I wouldn't recommend nightbane attempts until you gear up some more but it's doable if your healers are prepared and you don't get crushed by prince back to back in phase 2.

There are some gear threads here in the other section that are very helpful, you can read them. I know one of the most useful things I've learned here was that I didn't need 102.4 to tank heroics, so get out there and gridn yourself some badges - I know I'll be getting my new chest or legs from sunwell this week, I have to decide which!

Oh, and bring your consumables to help make up for low gear. Get some stam food, mana oil, potions, etc - if your going to be tanking and you want to stay there be prepared! (Bring water in case there is no mage, i swear all pally tanks die early of kidney failure)

*edit*
Right, you don't need the key if someone opens the door for you.
Now go get it anyway! Don't be the guy saying uh, can someone open the door?

*edit 2*
Don't forget to pickup healing gear if noone else is going to use it. There are many times where strapping on healing gear is the best thing you can do for a group.
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby Targonis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:38 am

A Good Tip:

go to www.wowhead.com and create a gear filter for all plate drops and drop in Kara and check each out, and make your wish-list.

Also search Badge of Justice, click on the "Currency For" list and create a filter for plate, and create another wishlist.

Put the items in priority of what you want / want to spend badges on, and make sure your higher items on your badge list are your lower drop priority items so you don't get a badge item, and then a day later get a drop thats better/more of what you wanted with your future gear build.

Smart gearing saves you tons of time.
Targonis

Postby Kinrain » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 am

Lets see if I can get this right.

Attumen: Vambracers of courage
Moroes: Belt & Pocketwatch
Maiden: Barbed Choker & Iron Gauntlets
Opera: Eternium Greathelm
Curator: T4 Gloves token & Wrynn Dynasty greaves
Aran: Shermanar Ring
Chess: Battlescar Boots
Illhoof: Gilded Thorium Cloak
Nightbane: Mantle of Abrahmis
Netherspite: Sheild of Impenatrable Darkness/Panza'Thar Breastplate
Prince: T4 Helm token

Hope that helps
Kinrain

Postby majorwoo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:10 am

Targonis wrote:A Good Tip:

go to www.wowhead.com and create a gear filter for all plate drops and drop in Kara and check each out, and make your wish-list.

Also search Badge of Justice, click on the "Currency For" list and create a filter for plate, and create another wishlist.

Put the items in priority of what you want / want to spend badges on, and make sure your higher items on your badge list are your lower drop priority items so you don't get a badge item, and then a day later get a drop thats better/more of what you wanted with your future gear build.

Very good advice. I think the hardest part is that though, once you've got some gear and are looking to replace pieces with badge gear - which first.
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby Targonis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:35 am

majorwoo wrote:
Targonis wrote:A Good Tip:

Very good advice. I think the hardest part is that though, once you've got some gear and are looking to replace pieces with badge gear - which first.

I would run heroics all week and then my kara run, and never spent badges before Kara. I would have a piece of gear in mind, and a backup, if I got a Kara piece I would buy a backup with the badges I had earned over the previous week. Some weeks I had enough badges between heroics and kara to buy 2 pieces, plus the items I got from kara that week.

So my timeline was:

Run Heroics
Run Kara
Check Total Badges for the week
Check off kara wishlist items I got from this week
Check my gear makeup against my badge wishlist
Spend badges on the best item available I haven't already replaced.

You'll epic out so fast with nice upgrades your head will spin, then you start replacing your kara loot with badge gear to get even better once all your slots are upgrades from blues to better epics.
Targonis

Postby Spectrum » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:16 am

It's good to have a goal of what pieces you want for each slot. On each new tier of gear I tend to go through and make a list of good pieces I could get for each slot. I can then go through and figure out which ones aren't worth getting because another is better, which ones are easy to grab, etc.

Check the Pre-raid tanking list and failsafe uncrushability guide in the gear forum to get some ideas on blues you could grab. Though if you're going to be running Kara weekly you'll be epicced out in no time.

Good luck, and happy tanking.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:27 am

Kinrain wrote:Lets see if I can get this right.

Attumen: Vambracers of courage
Moroes: Belt & Pocketwatch
Maiden: Barbed Choker & Iron Gauntlets
Opera: Eternium Greathelm
Curator: T4 Gloves token & Wrynn Dynasty greaves
Aran: Shermanar Ring
Chess: Battlescar Boots
Illhoof: Gilded Thorium Cloak
Nightbane: Mantle of Abrahmis
Netherspite: Sheild of Impenatrable Darkness/Panza'Thar Breastplate
Prince: T4 Helm token

Hope that helps

Edit for you: Nightbane drops the shield and breastplate, Netherspite drops the mantle.

Onward. You can also grind heroics and get 75 badges and get the Stoic Guardian chestpiece. Never underestimate the power of badge gear and even some rep gear.

Good luck as MT, and I hope you have fun with the beams and Netherspite...

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:28 pm

Boots of Elusion from trash, also.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:59 pm

majorwoo wrote:Right, you don't need the key if someone opens the door for you.

Too true! Thanks for reminding me of another goal I need to get working on, LOL. At least the first part is soloable.
Kelaan

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Kelaan wrote:
majorwoo wrote:Right, you don't need the key if someone opens the door for you.

Too true! Thanks for reminding me of another goal I need to get working on, LOL. At least the first part is soloable.

And the other parts lead to many possible gear upgrades
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Arcand » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:23 pm

Sabindeus beat me to it, but it bears harping on.

Shadow Labyrinth contains the Platinum Shield of the Valorous, Adamantine Figurine, Greatsword of Horrid Dreams and some piece of the Bold set, I forget which one.

Steamvault offers the Devilshark Cape, Breastplate of the Righteous and some passable tank rings (and I feel like I'm forgetting something important in there).

...and Arcatraz is kind of a dud as far as tank gear goes, since Skyriss is bugged and never, ever, ever drops the Elementium Band of the Sentry. There might be a Bold piece off him, I don't remember, but basically my experience was that Arcatraz isn't worth the trouble.

Black Morass gives KoT rep, which should be all the motivation you need, plus Legplates of the Righteous (pathetic compared to Timewarden, but not too bad) and Burnoose of Shifting Ages. Andormu's Tear is also a very nice dose of avoidance when you're first trying to hit the 490/102.4 mark.

Good luck! Bring food and flasks and scrolls and potions and oil; up to a point those can make up for weak gear and your mates will appreciate the effort you're making.
Arcand

Postby dmok » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:28 pm

Arcand wrote:...and Arcatraz is kind of a dud as far as tank gear goes, since Skyriss is bugged and never, ever, ever drops the Elementium Band of the Sentry. There might be a Bold piece off him, I don't remember, but basically my experience was that Arcatraz isn't worth the trouble.

Just getting the key for Arc gets you a nice tanking belt, which is all the incentive you need to get into Arc, really.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Since when is skyriss bugged?
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:04 pm

dmok wrote:
Arcand wrote:...and Arcatraz is kind of a dud as far as tank gear goes, since Skyriss is bugged and never, ever, ever drops the Elementium Band of the Sentry. There might be a Bold piece off him, I don't remember, but basically my experience was that Arcatraz isn't worth the trouble.

Just getting the key for Arc gets you a nice tanking belt, which is all the incentive you need to get into Arc, really.

^--- this
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Next

Return to General