Remove Advertisements

European servers

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

European servers

Postby Palafix » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:02 pm

So, here's the deal.
I live in the U.S., and have had a U.S. version of WoW which I sold months ago.

Right now, I'm serious about learning french. I'm far from fluent, but can understand, read, write and speak competently. I know that the fastest way to become fluent in the language would be to completely and constantly immerse myself in the language. Seeing as I have only one real life friend who speaks french, I don't get much exposure to it short of internet radio, which itself can be extremely difficult to understand given the relatively high level of vocabulary and extremely fast speaking.
So I figured that, maybe playing casually on a french WoW server might give me the opportunity to practice it with other people that I can get to know.

So right now, I'm just wondering about the logistics:
I realize that I need to buy a new European version of the game, which I can probably download from the WoW-europe site.
My question is: Can I get the English client and connect to french servers? Or do I need to get a french client? And is there any difference between a french and an english account?
Palafix

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:26 pm

I think the entire account structure and CDkeys are separate between EU/US/Asia localizations.
Also WoW-US does not allow CC payments from billing addresses outside the accepted regions so I expect that WoW-EU will not accept a US-addressed CC.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Anacharial » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:37 pm

You can connect to french servers through EU WoW client (sadly france is part of europe) you will have to contend with bad latency though as you are on a different continent, perhaps..

You will need to buy EU gamecards to keep the account active if it's an EU account.
Once a Sinner always a Sinner..
Anacharial

Postby Norrath » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:38 pm

PsiVen wrote:I think the entire account structure and CDkeys are separate between EU/US/Asia localizations.
Also WoW-US does not allow CC payments from billing addresses outside the accepted regions so I expect that WoW-EU will not accept a US-addressed CC.

I have both a US account and an EU account, and I pay for both with the same visa card.

I have maybe 300 ms when playing on the US server, so that part shouldn't be a problem.
Norrath

Postby Dunkan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:17 pm

Does not matter where you live and what credit card you use (unless you are from a country with high fraud rates perhaps) Blizz will be happy to take your money.

You just need the correct version of game client.

Gameplay can be variable, however but certainly playable.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Koopa » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:30 pm

You can use the enUS version of the client on the EU servers, you just have to edit the realmlist.wtf file. Furthermore, you need an European account, but that should be easy to acquire from online stores.

Oh, and if you're using the enUS client, you have to update it as enUS too. You cannot patch it with a British or French patch.
Code: Select all
/* temporary signature
* Koopa of Voltage
* EU-Dragonblight
*/
Koopa

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:34 pm

Hm, odd that it would say that it will reject european CCs but actually doesn't care. Oh well.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Sarima » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:24 am

The French they speak on French-speaking servers (or just on-line generally) will not be your average everyday-use French though; I guess which is the case in pretty much all languages used for chatting online. Though French is particularly bad from what I've seen.
Worldie wrote:[...]omg, WotLK will seriously hurt my bran.
Sarima

Postby jere » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:15 am

The real question is how do you say "r u tnk" in French?
jere

Postby cdan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:32 am

cdan

Postby Norrath » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:32 am

The only French I need to know is "Je ne parle pas français--parlez-vous anglais?" :p
Norrath

Postby Lore » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:05 am

The only french I know comes from old disco songs.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby fiorina » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:13 am

Lore wrote:The only french I know comes from old disco songs.

come on :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceSxEjwXHcM

Regarding playing on French servers, you'd better start with getting French client. It's not a requirement, but definitely a good way to start learning...

Some time ago it happened to me when I used local client, there was a patch specific to that language only, thus my EnUS or EnEU clients were unusable. Hope Blizzard is not doing this anymore.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Shai » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:58 am

Even if you end up getting an enGB client, you might want to look into the ELP thingie. Not sure how exactly it works since not tried it myself.
Shai

Postby Palafix » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:40 pm

Anacharial wrote:You can connect to french servers through EU WoW client (sadly france is part of europe) you will have to contend with bad latency though as you are on a different continent, perhaps..

You will need to buy EU gamecards to keep the account active if it's an EU account.

I can't use U.S. gamecards to pay for a Euro account? That sucks.

I mean, couldn't they just make a North American french server? Just one or two would be fine.
Palafix

Next

Return to General