Remove Advertisements

Tankadins, I require your support in a real life endeavor!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Frickit » Tue May 20, 2008 6:58 am

Good luck getting to lallallapalloozalala. I hate rap but I don't think its bad. If you have the personality that gets off on rap instead of metal than good for you. I get off on metal. Face-melting metal. That being said...ICP is not music. Thats a ridiculous spectacle with the most irritating fans on earth. All rap>ICP
Frickit

Postby Morpheren » Tue May 20, 2008 7:38 am

Frickit wrote:Good luck getting to lallallapalloozalala. I hate rap but I don't think its bad. If you have the personality that gets off on rap instead of metal than good for you. I get off on metal. Face-melting metal. That being said...ICP is not music. Thats a ridiculous spectacle with the most irritating fans on earth. All rap>ICP

to each his own.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby Hoops » Tue May 20, 2008 8:16 am

rap fails, sorry
Hoops

Postby Dragonzbane » Tue May 20, 2008 10:54 am

Dorvan wrote:P.S. PM me now for info on good mortgage rates, enlargement pills, and credit relief.

Penis Mightier?

You're sittin on a Gold Mine, Dorvan.
Dragonzbane

Postby Sabindeus » Tue May 20, 2008 10:58 am

Aedan wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:man if I said that I'd hope someone would kick me in the face with a metal banded boot.

Got that to the chest once. Bruised a rib and had a nice little mark for six months. I'd imagine the face wouldn't be much better.

Lesson to 5'6" hardcore kids who find it funny to flail kick the 5'10" scrawny (at the time), obviously-new-to-pits guy in the chest with a metal boot. The 6'10", 300lb. dude standing next to him WILL kick your ass. And no, your WWII era german army jacket won't save you.

As can be seen, we all have our musical prejudices. Unfortunately, rap is one of mine. You'll get no votes from me. (Aside from the venue for such asking being inappropriate.)

oO

now I want context...
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Refute » Tue May 20, 2008 11:27 am

Interesting how everyone is throwing around what is and what isn't music. Regarding genres, I can appreciate really any genre, as long as it has some uniqueness and talent in it.

While I'm no huge rap fan myself, you can easily find a large percentage of pop, rock, metal etc. that is "not music," or poor music at best. Too many popular songs are no more than playing 4 chords over and over again with some distortion and flang cranked in. Add on top of that some crappy lyrics of "I love my boyfriend, I love boyfriend" and you have just as poor of "music" as any crappy rap song.

Granted, many rappers only focus on the lyrics and don't possess a strong understanding of melody, "rapping in a key," variation, etc. But equally, many on the other side err just as greatly but in different way.

Personally, I want to hear solid lyrics over some unique arrangements. Just as though I wouldn't want to listen to some monotone rapper I equally dont want to listen to someone scream out horrible lyrics over a pathetic 3 or 4 chord progression, over and over and over again.

Talent in music has nothing to do the genre, it has to do with the individual. :wink:
Refute

Postby Aedan » Tue May 20, 2008 11:31 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Aedan wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:man if I said that I'd hope someone would kick me in the face with a metal banded boot.

Got that to the chest once. Bruised a rib and had a nice little mark for six months. I'd imagine the face wouldn't be much better.

Lesson to 5'6" hardcore kids who find it funny to flail kick the 5'10" scrawny (at the time), obviously-new-to-pits guy in the chest with a metal boot. The 6'10", 300lb. dude standing next to him WILL kick your ass. And no, your WWII era german army jacket won't save you.

As can be seen, we all have our musical prejudices. Unfortunately, rap is one of mine. You'll get no votes from me. (Aside from the venue for such asking being inappropriate.)

oO

now I want context...

Trivium / Dimmu / Cryptopsy / Hate Eternal (not sure if it was them) show in '02, NYC. Hard Rock Cafe. Went to go see Dimmu, as I hadn't heard much of the others. The only two concerts I'd been to previously were the Metallica S&M show at MSG and a Dream Theater concert (ooooh, scary). So I figured I'd head into the pit for Cryptopsy for the fun of it. Was actually a blast, although the elated dude who'd obviously just lost an eyebrow piercing was disconcerting. Had some female friends along who thought it would be fun to come on in as well, and I wound up playing 'wall' to them when the pit formed. At the time I think I weighed about 150 lbs., but while intense, the pit was one of those awesome ones where everyone knew each other, and they were just fuckin around for fun. Big dude was a stranger that was just hanging in the same area we were and was chattin with us about the scene and such. It was in the middle of said chatting that hardcore kid with his boots decided to start his flail dance/spinning in the middle of the pit. One such kick hit me square in the ribs, and left a mark under my bottom right rib that lasted from March (the show) till about July. As I was catching my breath, big dude, who saw the whole thing, basically knocked this dude to the ground - mostly pushing, at least one punch thrown after the kid tried to fight back - yelled at him, and we all laughed (I tried, but laughing hurt) as he made his way out, holding his head (from where it hit the ground) and trying not to cry.

Definitely the most injured I've gotten from a pit. But it doesn't quite compare to getting side-checked 15' in the air from a standing-start-Slayer-pit. (Still the scariest thing I've ever seen. I don't know how that many people could stay absolutely still and suddenly MOVE all at the same time. Poor Soulfly fans had no idea what was coming...)

Refute wrote:Personally, I want to hear solid lyrics over some unique arrangements. Just as though I wouldn't want to listen to some monotone rapper I equally dont want to listen to someone scream out horrible lyrics over a pathetic 3 or 4 chord progression, over and over and over again.

Talent in music has nothing to do the genre, it has to do with the individual. :wink:

And yeah, this.
Zodijackyl - Caelestrasz
Aedan

Postby Infernosaint » Tue May 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Aedan wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Aedan wrote:

oO

now I want context...

Trivium / Dimmu / Cryptopsy / Hate Eternal (not sure if it was them) show in '02, NYC. Hard Rock Cafe. Went to go see Dimmu, as I hadn't heard much of the others. The only two concerts I'd been to previously were the Metallica S&M show at MSG and a Dream Theater concert (ooooh, scary). So I figured I'd head into the pit for Cryptopsy for the fun of it. Was actually a blast, although the elated dude who'd obviously just lost an eyebrow piercing was disconcerting. Had some female friends along who thought it would be fun to come on in as well, and I wound up playing 'wall' to them when the pit formed. At the time I think I weighed about 150 lbs., but while intense, the pit was one of those awesome ones where everyone knew each other, and they were just fuckin around for fun. Big dude was a stranger that was just hanging in the same area we were and was chattin with us about the scene and such. It was in the middle of said chatting that hardcore kid with his boots decided to start his flail dance/spinning in the middle of the pit. One such kick hit me square in the ribs, and left a mark under my bottom right rib that lasted from March (the show) till about July. As I was catching my breath, big dude, who saw the whole thing, basically knocked this dude to the ground - mostly pushing, at least one punch thrown after the kid tried to fight back - yelled at him, and we all laughed (I tried, but laughing hurt) as he made his way out, holding his head (from where it hit the ground) and trying not to cry.

Definitely the most injured I've gotten from a pit. But it doesn't quite compare to getting side-checked 15' in the air from a standing-start-Slayer-pit. (Still the scariest thing I've ever seen. I don't know how that many people could stay absolutely still and suddenly MOVE all at the same time. Poor Soulfly fans had no idea what was coming...)

Refute wrote:Personally, I want to hear solid lyrics over some unique arrangements. Just as though I wouldn't want to listen to some monotone rapper I equally dont want to listen to someone scream out horrible lyrics over a pathetic 3 or 4 chord progression, over and over and over again.

And yeah, this.

Sounds painfull. for you both.

But... Dream Theater??! Me likes! :P I went to see them in sweden last year :D
If you don't fall over when looking at my zomgawesome stats, i'm in prot or RP gear.
Infernosaint

Postby Aedan » Tue May 20, 2008 4:44 pm

Dream Theater was kinda fun, but daaaamn long. I went to the NYC show they recorded the Live Metropolis DVD at. I actually had no idea they were doing that when I went.

And the pain faded within a week, but the bruise was like a funny badge of initiation.
Zodijackyl - Caelestrasz
Aedan

Previous

Return to General