Remove Advertisements

Account Sales

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby thorn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Sparti wrote:If you want to never come back to wow, here's how you do it; Download Wowglider. Run wowglider. Run it a lot. Run it for at least a week, in a high traffic, prominent area, like Scald in blade's edge mountains, or anywhere in Stranglethorn vale, or elemental plateau, or the blood elf camps in netherstorm. Something like that.

If you don't get banned in the first week, quit playing for a while. By the time you come back, your account will have been autobanned.

evil.

effective, but evil... ;)
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby Lightstrider » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:09 pm

thorn wrote:
Sparti wrote:If you want to never come back to wow, here's how you do it; Download Wowglider. Run wowglider. Run it a lot. Run it for at least a week, in a high traffic, prominent area, like Scald in blade's edge mountains, or anywhere in Stranglethorn vale, or elemental plateau, or the blood elf camps in netherstorm. Something like that.

If you don't get banned in the first week, quit playing for a while. By the time you come back, your account will have been autobanned.

evil.

effective, but evil... ;)

Personally I don't get much fun outta that. I myself would download those programs that speed up your programs and make you run really fast. I'd get a name change on your character to something with alot of ascii chars in it. like ÖÜúæ or something along those lines. And just have fun in arenas and BG's just warping all over the place. Spec ret go to areans run in for Crusader Strikes and move out so fast they can't hit you :D
Lightstrider

Postby Aalryn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:09 pm

I would definitely suggest not selling your account. I remember selling my old ffxi account with some 400 played days on it. It seemed like a good idea at the time to keep me from playing when I needed to focus on other things.

Since then I have regretted it. My situation had changed, but there was no way to go back. This is the reason that even though I have stopped playing wow for almost two months now I refuse to sell my character and the 15,000 gold that is collecting dust

It is just never worth it.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Wyleai » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:11 am

Odius wrote:And you can still petition a GM to get them back. I deleted Odius back when AQ40 came out and was still able to retrieve him when tBC came out. You just need to figure out a way to scale back your playtime to something more manageable.

They may be cracking down on this.

Guild leader and spouse in my alliance guild on A-52 got their accounts -hacked- with toons deleted and Blizzard refused to restore them. Or so they claimed - maybe something else was afoot. Guild politics got nasty after that when they left their own guild and started a new one with their new toons, and I just went 'afk' rather than get involved in it all.

BC was a major expansion and Blizzard had a serious commercial interest in bringing back old addicts. At present, that's not so much the case. Their concerns are instead more exploit / gold / account seller focused - so they're probably taking a different stance on these things.
Wyleai

Postby Wyleai » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:18 am

Sparti wrote:Honestly, you will never get what you think you deserve for your account, you will probably have someone try to rip you off, and the fact that the account still exists at all is going to keep you from ever staying away.

If you want to never come back to wow, here's how you do it; Download Wowglider. Run wowglider.

Virus / keylogger issues might abound in that route.

Also, the gold / account sellers themselves are major sources of account hacking, keylogging and so on. If they don't put something on your machine, they'll probably put it on the machine of whatever person was fool enough to buy that account.

Just find a sibling / nephew / neice / etc and hand it to them if you really want to be rid of it. That way you'll also feel you 'owe something' to the person who gets it.
Wyleai

Postby thorn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:46 am

no, that's what he was saying... to use that program and utterly soil the reputation of that account, making it a stench in the nose of the GM's, that way they will >never< restore it despite your pleas. this was his way of combatting the idea to call in and restore your deleted account.
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby Jarenien » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:56 am

What I suggest you do, is tone back your playtime. I know you can't do that on your own, but what I suggest you do is set up parental controls limiting the days and the times that you can play WoW. Get a good friend or a co-worker or family member to set it up for you, so that only they know the password to the parental controls and therefore you will be unable to play even if you wanted to and would have no way of changing those parental controls.
Jarenien

Postby Aleriya » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Personally, I don't see anything ethically wrong with selling an account. It's much better than deletion imo. If nothing else, sell and donate the money to charity before you delete :)

If you decide to quit but keep the account, I would suggest changing the password to some kind of unmemorable string of letters and writing it down on a piece of paper. Put the paper in your safe deposit box, or give it to a friend.
Aleriya

Postby thorn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:20 pm

i personally can't stand playing with people who have bought their accounts. i have multiple people like that in my guild.

a) they suck so bad at their job. how pompous to think you can just buy a paladin, spam the '1' key, and think you can main heal without knowing such concepts like reactive vs proactive healing, which holy lights to downrank to, when to pop divine illumination, when to pop a mana pot even. stfu&l2p. and study your new class.

b) every single time my friends gets a new toon, they need to be run through stuff because the are always decked in pvp epics and are only friendly with the sha'tar (and scryers) for cri'sakes.

c) they get arrogant. they think that because they bought a toon (that someone else worked for) with x healing, or x attack power, that they are just elite. and here they haven't put in the effort for a single thing of their own since before burning crusade. it would almost be discouraging, if rule 'a' didn't apply.

also, if you don't change your name before selling your account, you really expose your old guildies to being burned.
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby Shamora » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:36 pm

thorn wrote:i personally can't stand playing with people who have bought their accounts. i have multiple people like that in my guild.

a) they suck so bad at their job. how pompous to think you can just buy a paladin, spam the '1' key, and think you can main heal without knowing such concepts like reactive vs proactive healing, which holy lights to downrank to, when to pop divine illumination, when to pop a mana pot even. stfu&l2p. and study your new class.

b) every single time my friends gets a new toon, they need to be run through stuff because the are always decked in pvp epics and are only friendly with the sha'tar (and scryers) for cri'sakes.

c) they get arrogant. they think that because they bought a toon (that someone else worked for) with x healing, or x attack power, that they are just elite. and here they haven't put in the effort for a single thing of their own since before burning crusade. it would almost be discouraging, if rule 'a' didn't apply.

also, if you don't change your name before selling your account, you really expose your old guildies to being burned.

QFT

I have no problem with people selling their accounts, but I do have a problem with people buying them for pretty much all the reasons listed above. Also I could never sell my account. I put WAY too much hard work and research to get to where I am now to let someone else run around on it.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby etherbadger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:53 pm

If you are 100% serious about quitting WoW because it is destroying your RL, DELETING your characters and account are the only options.

Make sure that before you do this, delete/sell/shard every item you have and give the gold away. I only "quit and deleted" about a year ago. Two months later I got it all back with a simple e-mail.

Blizzard is all too happy to get your 15$/month again. However, I've heard they won't restore items that were sold and then that gold given away/moved off your account. Having to gear up again from a shirt and guild tabard really takes the fun away.
etherbadger

Postby Sparti » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:00 pm

Yeah, I'll confirm this. You actually hear about this a LOT lately with people who got their accounts hacked. Apparently it takes hours of pouring over logs and tracking transactions to get your characters restored, so they're trying to limit it only to cases where it's justified. People who legitimately lost their characters generally never get their stuff back, and if they do it was just their primary gear set. If that's what happens to people who lose their accounts ona ccident, i can't imagine what happens if you do it on purpose.

Drink Time, Wimps! -- A blog.
Sparti

Location: Probably contributing to Sprint's wonderful track record of horrible customer service.

Postby Lightstrider » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:36 pm

double post for the suck
Last edited by Lightstrider on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightstrider

Postby Lightstrider » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:37 pm

thorn wrote:i personally can't stand playing with people who have bought their accounts. i have multiple people like that in my guild.

Well in their defense alot of people who leveled from 1 to 70 don't know how to play their class either. It's hard to find people that leveled and grouped enough to now how to interact in a group. You see people all the time that level 1 to 70 as either ret or feral and expect to put on quest reward healing gear respec and be good at it. You see more and more people that are wearing full season 1 gear and expect that to be good for raids. Rogues that wear full season 1 with about 50 hit rating thinking they'll be good enough to raid. Nobody really knows what their doing.

Hell Kungen admited to not knowing about uncrush. He posted on the euro wow forums on uncrush numbers and such.
Lightstrider

Postby Sparti » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:43 pm

So basically Kungen is Tom Cruise's character from Days of Thunder?

Drink Time, Wimps! -- A blog.
Sparti

Location: Probably contributing to Sprint's wonderful track record of horrible customer service.

PreviousNext

Return to General