Account Sales

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Account Sales

Postby Arthran » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:24 am

So i know scary title and all (Lore dont hurt me!), i mainly wanted to know what you guys thought about it. To sum it up plainly, Wow has ruined my life and im looking for an exit. i took up wow and got totally and utterly addicted just after i left home, and as such it became the thing i did the most when not at work. Since TBC i've formed and pushed a raiding guild from nothing, to kael killers and were now working thought BT and working on Archi.

And as much as i enjoy and love my charector, i've come to realise how much of a life i dont have, how many important RL things are being ignored so i can get progress on a boss and how much im neglecting my significant other.

SO my big question is, Would you guys recomend selling or deleting my account? You can see my char here logged out in threat gear, ofc i have several items to swap in for more survival. I would ofc force people to either change names or server as i feel my guild would deserve that.

What do you guys think? anybody interested in taking this fine sexy Protadin off my hands? Or should i attempt to curb myself down to 2 nights a week raiding?

Halp!
Arthran

Re: Account Sales

Postby Hankthetank » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:36 am

Arthran wrote:What do you guys think? anybody interested in taking this fine sexy Protadin off my hands? Or should i attempt to curb myself down to 2 nights a week raiding?

When I end up quitting WoW, I will simply cancel my account, delete it from my hard drive, and put the CD's in my storage of old no-longer-played games (which goes back into games from the early 90's)

Yeah, I could probably get over $1k for my account (3 level 70's, 2 BT geared characters, a Thunderfury) but I just could never bring myself to sell it. That's not enough cash to, in my opinion, sell out my integrity.

Of course, everyone has different opinions. :)
Hankthetank

Its a game

Postby djellum » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:02 am

The only purpose of this game is to make some of your free time fun. Its not worth losing out on real living for. If you can cut back to reasonable levels and still have fun great. If not, bail and never look back.

Personally, I never get rid of my hobby stuff. You almost always regret it since eventually you come back to it. My suggestion is to just put your account on inactive for 6 months to a year and work on other things. if after that you think you can play a bit and have fun you have your toons still. If its just not going to work, sell your account and buy yourself something nice. If you do decide to sell it, use the money for something you have always wanted, or something you have always wanted to do. Dont waste it on bills. having something new and fun to show for it makes it a lot better.

djellum

Postby Invisusira » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:42 am

If you are 100% serious about quitting WoW because it is destroying your RL, DELETING your characters and account are the only options.

If you "quit," you will come back.

If you sell your account, you will probably at some point feel the temptation to give Blizz a ring and tell them it got hacked.

Normally I would not advocate deleting something that you have put so much time and effort into, etc etc, but I do understand how WoW can go beyond "a fun hobby" and become totally self-destructive for some people. If this is your case, and it is an extreme case, that's my suggestion.
Invisusira

Postby Arthran » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:14 am

My Girlfriend just quit as well. Were the kind of people who wouldnt ring blizz and ask for the account back, if we came back to the game in wotlk we'd re-roll together.

She's attempting to sell her account (who wants a 4/5 T5 destro lock?) and if i can sell mine then together we could take a holiday. I remember quitting D2 online, all the items and effort just rotted and then the account was deleted, i would much much rather somebody else gets good use out of the hard work i've put in. I still have the screenshots, kill video's, friends and memories.

So anybody wanting to move to european servers? ;-)
Arthran

Postby Odius » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:15 pm

Invisusira wrote:If you are 100% serious about quitting WoW because it is destroying your RL, DELETING your characters and account are the only options.

And you can still petition a GM to get them back. I deleted Odius back when AQ40 came out and was still able to retrieve him when tBC came out. You just need to figure out a way to scale back your playtime to something more manageable.
Odius
Maintankadonor

Postby Dunkan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:55 pm

Stop playing, cancel your account, or limit your playtime.

If at a later date you want to play (Wrath of the Licking, maybe?), set play times and stick to them. Best way of doing this is to get a wife that does not play and a couple of rug rats ;-)

I have been gaming for over 30 years and WoW is just one of many. It can be hard to limit your playing and WoW is especially hard.

These days a lot of thought goes into how to make the game environment addictive via sound and visuals although the game industry uses different terms. Try playing with the sound off for a start.

G'luck.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:04 pm

you cant quit wow only take breaks
Lightbeard

Re: Account Sales

Postby Refute » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:10 pm

Arthran wrote:So i know scary title and all (Lore dont hurt me!), i mainly wanted to know what you guys thought about it. To sum it up plainly, Wow has ruined my life and im looking for an exit. i took up wow and got totally and utterly addicted just after i left home, and as such it became the thing i did the most when not at work. Since TBC i've formed and pushed a raiding guild from nothing, to kael killers and were now working thought BT and working on Archi.

And as much as i enjoy and love my charector, i've come to realise how much of a life i dont have, how many important RL things are being ignored so i can get progress on a boss and how much im neglecting my significant other.

SO my big question is, Would you guys recomend selling or deleting my account? You can see my char here logged out in threat gear, ofc i have several items to swap in for more survival. I would ofc force people to either change names or server as i feel my guild would deserve that.

What do you guys think? anybody interested in taking this fine sexy Protadin off my hands? Or should i attempt to curb myself down to 2 nights a week raiding?

Halp!

I personally am against selling, but if you want to...

What I suggest is that you take a layered approach. Deleting your character alone will do nothing, because as you probably know, you can simply petition to get it back.

If you are really serious about fighting the temptation, I suggest you delete every note worthy character you have, and then get a friend to randomly type in crap for new contact info, phone number, email, and then finally, some random password that can't be remembered.

That way, the only thing you will know for sure is the name on the account.

Most people who are truly addicted to wow to the point where their RL suffers quit for a month or three, then get this sense that they can "control" themselves, which can't be further from a truth. Just like an alchoholic can't have just "one drink," so too can most people who are truly, truly addicted to MMOs cannot play for just an hour or two a night.

Good luck either way, wow means nothing if your RL is in ruins, so best of luck to you.
Refute

Postby Whait » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:22 pm

yes WoW has ruined my life but i have accepted it becasue i look at as a hobby that i do more then i work, and anything more then work is a good thing? right? but my wife has accepted that i play video games and well im an american living in germany, dont speak a lick of german and have seen damn near everything to see in europe so really i dont have much else to do except take care of my lil lady and become The Sword and Shield of Azeroth when she goes to bed :) but if you can quit Gratz and i hope you can stay that way, but in all seriousness blizz has made it really really easy to come back from extended "vacations" of wow down time. sooo umm yep...throwing your computer out the window would help too lol i dunno take everything in life for face value and find away to deal with all problems 1 mob at a time
Whait

Postby halabar » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:31 pm

If ya can get decent cash, sell.

Just make sure you remove your personal info from the payment system first. switch to game cards, then sell.

Someone in your guild might even want it.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby thorn » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:58 pm

djellum wrote:Personally, I never get rid of my hobby stuff. You almost always regret it since eventually you come back to it.

i am in djellum's boat:
    * i still have my entire collection of music.
    * i have four years worth of irc chat logs.
    * i have all my old camping crap.
    * i have all my old code.
    * i still have all my j.r.r. tolkien books and biographies.
    * i have all the pictures of me and my buddies being delinquents.
    * i have all my saved game files.
    * i have all my duke nukem 3d custom levels (which btw are still badass, i'll have you know).
    * i still have all my barbie dolls....... :shock:
heh, no, j/k. ;)

but seriously, all that stuff is important to me because they are a record of a time in my short life that i enjoyed. i might not be able to go back to those times again, but at least i have those time capsules. this is why i would never delete or sell hurin, even when i move on to another game or to another part of my life. blizzard will shut down the wow servers before i get rid of hurin.

i once had a video game that was sucking up all my time, back during win98/ms-dos days. so i copied the entire directory to a floppy including all my saved games and everything. then i put this floppy in a small ziplock and threw it on top of the cupboard where only dust collects. then i purged it from my computer.

sure, there were times when i wanted to go climb back up and get it, but that would have involved getting a stepladder and climbing up high to get to it. my own procrastination and laziness was enough to discourage me from going through all that hassle. and even when i started to anyways, i talked myself out of it half way through. this kind of approach always works for me: using my lack of initiative to my advantage. ;) (only time that didn't work was when i tried to quit smoking... for that, i had to take drastic measures, much like refute's suggestion above.)

if i were you, i would do something similar to what i did with the floppy disk. maybe sign the account over to a friend (with a strong will) and have them change the info, like refute said, but hold on to it for you and not give you the login info until you have a new hobby or something.

speaking of that, when you do get rid of wow, if you do, you will need to fill that void with some other hobby or time-consumer. whether you make it your significant other or a new endeavor completely, it doesn't matter. but you can't just sit on your hands and think about wow and drool as you read maintankadin all day.

you are going to need to find a new hobby. and it will have to be hardcore and will have to have a large sense of community, otherwise it won't hold your attention after something like world of warcraft. just make sure it doesn't consume you the way wow did... though it probably will, otherwise it won't be strong enough to keep you from thinking about wow. so in the end, it may become another wow. and if that's the case, heck, you may as well stick to wow, get your significant other to roll a healer, and then get a stopwatch timer to remind you when to switch your laundry and pay your bills in real life. ;)
thorn
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:33 pm

If someone wants to really stop WoW cause of it destroying his real life, selling it is the wisest thing to do.

If you delete, you will ask for restore sooner or later.

If you sell it, you should be clever enough to not play with laws and not "phone blizzard". And you also get some nice money for it.

Personally, even if in the future i'll stop playing, i'll never delete my chars nor sell my account. It's a "part of myself", i can't delete it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Heli » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:47 pm

I sold all my accounts from EQ. I dunno I'm for selling and if WoW becomes a big issue I'll sell while the game is big.

I never had the desire to call and screw someone over though and call CS and get my accounts back.
Heli

Postby Sparti » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Invisusira wrote:If you are 100% serious about quitting WoW because it is destroying your RL, DELETING your characters and account are the only options.

If you "quit," you will come back.

If you sell your account, you will probably at some point feel the temptation to give Blizz a ring and tell them it got hacked.

Normally I would not advocate deleting something that you have put so much time and effort into, etc etc, but I do understand how WoW can go beyond "a fun hobby" and become totally self-destructive for some people. If this is your case, and it is an extreme case, that's my suggestion.

This is basically what happened to me.

Honestly, you will never get what you think you deserve for your account, you will probably have someone try to rip you off, and the fact that the account still exists at all is going to keep you from ever staying away.

If you want to never come back to wow, here's how you do it; Download Wowglider. Run wowglider. Run it a lot. Run it for at least a week, in a high traffic, prominent area, like Scald in blade's edge mountains, or anywhere in Stranglethorn vale, or elemental plateau, or the blood elf camps in netherstorm. Something like that.

If you don't get banned in the first week, quit playing for a while. By the time you come back, your account will have been autobanned.

Drink Time, Wimps! -- A blog.
Sparti

Location: Probably contributing to Sprint's wonderful track record of horrible customer service.

Next

Return to General