Remove Advertisements

Advice on seeking a guild

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Advice on seeking a guild

Postby Talwen » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:06 am

Hello all, and thanks for the wonderful tips and advice I've found throughout this site. I'm leveling an aspiring tankadin, doing lots of instances with PuGs, and starting to feel like I need a guild. The question is, what's the best way to go about finding one? I've been approached by a number of guilds when just standing around in Stormwind, but I think most of them are just looking for warm bodies; I want to do my best to get a guild that's a good fit for me and that I can stay with in the long term.

There are a few guilds on my server (Cenarion Circle, Alliance-side) that I'm interested in based on word-of-mouth or the realm forums-- is it too presumptuous to just message a member in game and ask for more info? I'm a bit shy, so I've been trying to work up the courage to do this.

On a related note, I would be very interested in hearing suggestions on what to look for in a guild and reasonable questions to ask before joining. For me, the most important thing is to find a guild that is mature, literate, and friendly, but I'm sure there are other things that I haven't yet thought of.

Thanks very much for any advice you all can offer!

Edit: Sorry, forgot to sign this initially, added it below :)

--Talwen, level 37 Draenei paladin, Cenarion Circle
Last edited by Talwen on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talwen

Postby Frickit » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:15 am

Find out like you said, by word of mouth which guilds are progressing.
Then look into the ones you are interested in by going to their website.
Usually you are going to have to apply online. You can apply to more than one guild. In your situation you might want to find a guild who is just beginning Kara so you can learn the encounters with them and grow with them.

If I were you Id get your preraid raiding gear set by going through the stickies here and I believe you no longer have to be keyed for Karazhan so you should be all set to jump in there. Prove your worth in Kara and heroics and start your raiding schedule.

Make sure you find a raiding guild that fits your schedule. Also look into ones that can use a Pally tank or just need more tanks in general. I like being one of only two tankadins.
Frickit

Postby Ciandin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:43 am

Since your only level 37, I wouldn't worry too much about the raid game just yet. I would take your time and enjoy leveling!

Anyway, one possible way to find a guild with members around your level is to choose a dungeon, and check who is in it a few times. At level 37, type /who Scarlet Monestary and a list of all the players in that dungeon will pop up. Change the drop down menu to sort by "Guild" instead of "Location". If you see a group of 5 from the same guild, ask them a little about the guild and if it seems right for you.

Good Luck
Ciandin

Postby Frickit » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Ciandin wrote:Since your only level 37, I wouldn't worry too much about the raid game just yet. I would take your time and enjoy leveling!

Anyway, one possible way to find a guild with members around your level is to choose a dungeon, and check who is in it a few times. At level 37, type /who Scarlet Monestary and a list of all the players in that dungeon will pop up. Change the drop down menu to sort by "Guild" instead of "Location". If you see a group of 5 from the same guild, ask them a little about the guild and if it seems right for you.

Good Luck

oh yea at 37 you might benefit from a growing guild but if you really wanna get to 70 and end up a raider you might find yourself wanting to leave that guild and that can be awkward. If you wanna be part of something from the ground up thats a long process. I recommend getting the knowledge you need from this site, power leveling up to 70 and start enjoying the progression content before the expansion comes out.

70 + kara ready gear + look for a good guild.

or just take your time leveling up and meet some friends along the way.
Frickit

Postby jevchance » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:35 pm

I went through the same thing.

You can check your server's wowwiki page and get a lot of big guild names, along with links to their websites.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Server:Cenarion_Circle_US

Read EVERYTHING.

When you get a narrow list, lookup the guild master's name on wowarmory (search for the guild name, go to the guild information page and the guild master will be listed). Send an in-game tell to the guild master and strike up a conversation.

Find out what their current progression is, what their progression plan is, policies, etc., and most imporantly if they are recruiting. :)

Good luck.
jevchance

Postby Talwen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks for the good advice, everyone! As you suggested, I've done some research online, and now that I've leveled a bit I think I'll start approaching a couple of guilds. I must say, reading on Maintankadin has given me a much better idea of what to look for. :)
Talwen

Return to General