Remove Advertisements

Is it normal for a tankadin to top the Damage meter?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Is it normal for a tankadin to top the Damage meter?

Postby ulrichter » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:08 pm

- k this is not a a bragging post (post your success etal)

- Rather a guild check?

Just finished a raid (10 man/Za) and I was top of damage done. To hold threat I was max consecrating and judging when possible. Approx 400 spell damage over the duration.
ulrichter

Postby Invisusira » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:09 pm

In shattered halls, maybe.

In those situations, it's just sad.
Invisusira

Postby Reiyuka » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:10 pm

For the first half of Karazhan too, if you're overgeared. I use my Sporeggar shield and 2 pcs t5.

Usually they don't catch up until after Curator.
Reiyuka

Postby ulrichter » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:17 pm

May have been a case of too many DPS'ers in PVP spec (good on trash bad on bosses). Atleast two.

You'd think officers would enforce a no 'insignia of the horde' rules.

May have to send tells next time to raid leader.
ulrichter

Postby Tahl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:57 pm

When my guild first started Kara I was 2nd on dps with 20% of the total raid damage done. Now I'm only above two. They have definitely improved a lot (and my stamina stacking isn't helping my numbers any).

Reset your damage meters for a boss fight and look at just that fight. Running the meters over the whole night including trash artificially inflates the value of aoe. On a single boss (where dps counts the most) you should be at the bottom if everyone is carrying their weight.
Tahl

Postby Regan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Unless your group outgears him significantly (most likely case nowadays), Curator is the only fight I can think where the tank used to be top dps (counting damage done to boss), since you are the only one attacking him during 100% of the fight.

But you can still be amongst the top dps in Karazhan with a low aoe group if you're reckless enough with your pulling (and I certainly am)
Regan

Postby Cearn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:11 pm

DPS doesn't mean a thong, as lonmg as you do more damage than half your dps does. yes it took me 3+ tries to write this. ye sim drunk.
po.
Cearn

Postby Kitria » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:18 pm

I do it all the time in pug 5-mans. Came in 3rd in a recent kara run. All it really means is that you outgear your dps and/or they suck at their job.
Kitria

Postby Hollyhell » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Kitria wrote:I do it all the time in pug 5-mans. Came in 3rd in a recent kara run. All it really means is that you outgear your dps and/or they suck at their job.

Off-topic: Serra Angel go.
Hollyhell

Postby Regan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:29 pm

Usually in pugs I find the leaders kicking all the dps below me after Moroes or so, which given the abundance of aoe packs before him and my tendence to break any CC in trash to help my struggling mana bar, is somewhat unfair. But amusing.

There are still really a lot of people out there that don't understand how we work. In said pugs I sometimes have a hard time convincing people that I can effectively hold aggro of all those mobs. One of my favorite quotes from the last Karazhan pug I did was "she is a pally, she can hold aggro of even THREE mobs at the same time" (emphasis mine).

But I digress. Awesome board that I just discovered by the way. Already got some nice tips to improve my gearing and playstyle just perusing it.
Regan

Postby Shelendil » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:40 pm

It's been my experience that they should be able to out-damage you unless you out-gear them by a tier or more. The only class that might have trouble are feral druids in cat form as they have no multi-target damage at all. That consecrate means go ahead and blade flurry, whirlwind, multishot, tab dot, chain lightning, etc. They need a different mindset than their normal rotation sometimes.
Shelendil

Postby Dane » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:08 pm

Regan wrote:There are still really a lot of people out there that don't understand how we work. In said pugs I sometimes have a hard time convincing people that I can effectively hold aggro of all those mobs.

QFT.

They also don't seem to get that we WANT to get hit a lot...it gives us mana, in a roundabout way.

I explain it when it seems I need to...sometimes there's a beautiful dawning comprehension.

Not usually though.

And yes, in 5-man pugs, I usually come in between 1 and 2 on the damage meters.
Dane

Re: Is it normal for a tankadin to top the Damage meter?

Postby Bryne » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:32 pm

ulrichter wrote:Just finished a raid (10 man/Za) and I was top of damage done. To hold threat I was max consecrating and judging when possible. Approx 400 spell damage over the duration.

Extremely sad.
Bryne

Postby Pizbit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:11 am

I have to agree, in ZA that's just sad.
Shattered halls I'm #2 or #3 depending on the AoE I bring, rarely in the top 5 in kara etc after opera.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

ZA

Postby ulrichter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:28 am

Well in the guilds defense, we only had boss 1 down and 3 attempts on boss 2, so naturally there is a lot of aoe work running the guantlet to reach the second boss.

Our successful tactics for the gauntlet is for me to attract most elites and birds on the way up. Get the group to single target DPS the elites to keep them managable. But essentially i am stood at the top like a mob magnet while main party go on the tempest. Once he's dead we clear down whats left on me.
ulrichter

Next

Return to General