Remove Advertisements

Blizzcast 2

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Blizzcast 2

Postby Myotis » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:02 pm

I thought that was a good read.

Taken from the Blizzcast 2

Bornakk: Doing good. So, we have a couple of questions for you today. The first is, regarding Retribution Paladins, we've made some recent changes to the class that were very nice and they're wondering if we're going to update the Seal or the Judgement of Command with the new model that we were following.

Tom Chilton: Absolutely. What we're trying to do, a big push that we have in the expansion, is to get different specs and different classes to use similar types of gear. What we don't want to have to do is drop different kinds of gear for every single different kind of spec in the game. Unfortunately, that has the side effect of making people feel as though a lot of loot that isn't for them drops. It's great when the item that is for your class, for your spec drops but you've got to figure that there's a whole lot of other classes and specs out there just thinking ‘another item that's not for me?'

So, what we're trying to do is make sure that the items are shared more among the different classes and specs. So, we're really looking towards moving Retribution Paladins farther towards using the same kind of itemization that warriors use and we've made a couple of changes recently in patch 2.3 that kind of go part of the way there. And really, that was just to shore up some of the immediate problems that we were having with it.

Really, we want to go further with that and make sure that across the board, all the different Seals, Judgements, and all the different paladin abilities in general kind of follow that same scheme. But that's something we'll likely be seeing the full effect of in the expansion.

It seems unlikely they would remove our need for spell damage or spell hit ( 2.4 badges gear... ). Will the Deathknights use the same gear as we do? Will we get shifted to warrrior gear? Maybe they are going to fix all these confusing abilities working with spell hit and/or hit.

Seal of crusader is useless to retribution paladin now, I would expect it to change according to what was said in there...
Myotis

Postby Lore » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:07 pm

It almost seems like they might be looking at moving us off of spell damage in the expansion >.>

It kinda makes sense I guess, make warrior/death knight/paladin tanks all use the same gear. Obviously death knights wouldn't want gear with block rating/value on it but not all tanking gear has that anyway.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:07 pm

Right now, I'm thinking +damage for Deathknights is a plausible option, but that would still leave 2 different kinds of plate tanking gear needed, as that stuff wouldn't be useful for Warriors. The idea of a single kind of plate tanking gear is intriguing, though I wonder how they'd pull it off, as it would almost certain require mechanics changes for warriors, tankadins, or both. As with most future changes, I'm not going to worry about it much until there's something concrete to give feedback on.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Myotis » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:13 pm

Bornakk: Okay, awesome.

Next question. Do you have plans to add a tab that will have one or two pre-set talent builds that you can switch to when you respec?

Tom Chilton: We definitely want to make the respec process more graceful, especially considering how much respeccing people are doing. Right now, when you respec, it unlearns all the spells that you have that are talent-specific. It takes them off your action bars, et cetera, and, then when you spec into a new spec, it doesn't fill those in for you. Something we'd like to do is have the game remember or be able to save settings with different talent specs so that you can more easily switch between them. That goes along with potentially, in the future, doing some things to ease the burden of respeccing back and forth. If you're doing kind of high-end Arenas, high-end raiding, that kind of thing. Because we do want to encourage players to be able to enjoy a variety of different elements of the game. So, we definitely want to make that whole process more graceful in general.

Bornakk: The next question is: do we plan to have tanking specs get more integrated into PvP? For example, like a new Taunt mechanic?

Tom Chilton: Well, yes and no. To a degree, we definitely want to improve the viability of the tanking specs in PvP. But I only mean that with respects to casual PvP, like battlegrounds. We don't actually have realistic plans to try to make the tanking specs be Arena-competitive, viable specs, necessarily. We feel like it's okay if there are certain specs that really aren't competitive end-game specs. At the same time, we do want to make sure that when you roll into a battleground, that you feel reasonably useful. We don't want you to have to respec every time you go to a battleground or whatever. To some degree, we have that, in that prot warriors, for example, are pretty popular for running the flag in Warsong Gulch. They also can be pretty useful for defending different points of interest, either in Arathi Basin or even in, potentially, Eye of the Storm.

So, we have it to some degree, but we do want to moderate those differences more than we have right now and make them a little bit more viable for PvP than they are but I don't think that the expectation should be that you'll be able to be a high-end, Arena- competitive player.

And certainly, with the Taunt mechanic itself, we don't want to add that as another kind of crowd control over what we have right now. We really feel that if players were able to taunt each other, it would really be just another sort of aggravating, annoying sort of control mechanic that we don't necessarily want to go down that road.

I wish we'd get some kind of help with questing. ( aka +spell damage off of +healing gear for healers.)

http://us.blizzard.com/blizzcast/archive/episode2.xml
Myotis

Postby honorshammer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:18 pm

We feel like it's okay if there are certain specs that really aren't competitive end-game specs

That scares the daylights out of me.

"It's fine if Protection isnt a competitive end game spec at 80"
honorshammer

Postby Dorvan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:21 pm

Honorshammer wrote:
We feel like it's okay if there are certain specs that really aren't competitive end-game specs

He was talking about PvP there. In context, he was saying "not every spec is going to be great for both PvP *and* PvE". Unless Blizzard suddenly decides to make Prot Pallies absolutely devastating in arenas I wouldn't be too worried :P

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:27 pm

Dorvan wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:

He was talking about PvP there. In context, he was saying "not every spec is going to be great for both PvP *and* PvE". Unless Blizzard suddenly decides to make Prot Pallies absolutely devastating in arenas I wouldn't be too worried :P

I missed that. I couldn't give a basilisks behind if Prot is good in PVP. I want to be competitive with Warriors, Druids and soon Death Knights for Tanking spots.
honorshammer

Postby Phoolish » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Lore wrote:It almost seems like they might be looking at moving us off of spell damage in the expansion >.>

I still have a lot to learn about Pally vs. Warrior itemization, but it seems like the major difference we have is in Strength. Warriors want it and we don't.

Maybe a new passive ability that would convert itemized Strength into Spell Damage for us would do the trick.
Phoolish

Postby Lore » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:50 pm

Warriors don't really want strength either :P Expertise is their threat stat. I could easily see DK's wanting strength though.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Warrender » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Honorshammer wrote:

The competitive end-game he was talking about was Arena.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:50 pm

There are still going to be far too many tanks in the expansion. All the better to have a ret set or a holy set ready for use. :?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Lore » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:55 pm

They have mentioned in the past that they want DK's to be like feral druids - tank sometimes, DPS sometimes, but not really primarily either. I don't think any prot paladins (or prot warriors for that matter) will have to worry about losing their raid spot to a DK.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Zhalseran » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:41 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about what they are saying regarding gear. I mean they expanded a lot in the Burning Crusade to accommodate the budding specs that never really got any recognition, us among them. They continue to do so. But now it seems like their goal is to make it even more narrow than it was before. When they say they want people to be able to use the same gear, I can't help but think how aweful it would be if I was stuck using ret gear. I mean gear that tries to do everything has always been known for failing at everything. It could work if they did it right, but it would take a lot of work to make it not suck.

I have always been kind of annoyed at the way they have changed ret. I don't begrudge ret anything, and I'm quite glad that it is improving. At the same time though, I don't think making them glorified arms warriors was the way to go. It kind of ruins the Paladin mystique imo. A more creative approach would have been much better in maintaining the image of a holy warrior, a caster in plate.
Zhalseran

Postby Sharlos » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:08 pm

They don't want us to use ret gear.

They want ret, arms, and fury to use the same gear. (Which is easily acheivable)

They want mages/locks to use the same gear

Feral dps and rogues using the same gear

And enhance and hunters to use the same gear.

I don't think it is outside the realm of posibility that prot paladins and prot wariors will share the same gear. Could be made very easy by giving us a block value>spell damage talent. Otherwise they'd have to overhaul our mechanics entirely. And overhauling prot pallies will have a significant effect on holy.
Sharlos

Postby Lieris » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Really, we want to go further with that and make sure that across the board, all the different Seals, Judgements, and all the different paladin abilities in general kind of follow that same scheme. But that's something we'll likely be seeing the full effect of in the expansion.

I think ret is dead to me. We've been waiting so long for them to fix what is not a major change but they keep putting it off. Even the itemisation changes were rushed merely converting the spell damage to strength (not a good way to spend item points given there was already a lot there), set bonuses unchanged (4pc T6 is literally a 0% damage increase for me) and amusingly spell damage socket bonuses left in! They then give enhancement shamans* the PVE and PVP abilities that we've been needing. AP->SD conversion, combat mana regeneration via Shamanistic Rage, a healing debuff etc. whilst we're still fighting against a broken judgement refresh system, unreliable damage in PVP and no way to regenerate mana. Our group buff is still laughably bad too, DPS warriors contribute much more than we do).

We keep hoping the next patch will be the one where our problems will be fixed but deep down we've always known it's not going to happen and our best bet is the expansion. It's still quite gutting to see it confirmed.

*enhancement shamans needed these changes and I am very happy for ours, it's just a bit upsetting seeing the other melee hybrid getting everything we needed too whilst we get ignored.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General