Remove Advertisements

Talent idea or am I way off.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Talent idea or am I way off.

Postby Soulbreaker » Tue May 29, 2007 6:58 am

First off, hello all nice to be here in your great forum.

Currently my Belf Tankadin is only 56 and running BRD for exp and gear till 58 then to Outland.

While tanking in BRD (everywhere really) I run OOM like no bodys business, in turn holding everything up. So I said no CC and started AoE tanking 4-5 mobs at a time to ge the extra heals so SA would transfer more of the healers mana to my pool.

Still not good enough but better.

My usual mode of operation is AS, Judge Right, Cons, HS then Cons and HS to keep aggro while everyone goes mad AoE, works fine but I OOM in no time.

So I had a thought. Would it help things if Wepon Expertise was removed and replaced with,

3/3 Holy Ground. Grants 2/4/6% of ALL damage caused by YOUR Consecration spell to be returned to the Paladin as Mana.

Then they could put the 2 left over talent points into holy or ret to give them a boost (or remove them altogher).

Would this kind of thing be OP in end game? Is it worth posting on the offical flame board at Blizzard?

Thoughts please.
Soulbreaker

Re: Talent idea or am I way off.

Postby kurros » Tue May 29, 2007 7:07 am

Soulbreaker wrote:

My usual mode of operation is AS, Judge Right, Cons, HS then Cons and HS to keep aggro while everyone goes mad AoE, works fine but I OOM in no time.

That is part of your problem. Judge wisdom after avenger's shield.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby eia » Tue May 29, 2007 7:11 am

kurros wrote:That is part of your problem. Judge wisdom after avenger's shield.

I don't agree with this suggestion. You lose a lot of early threat on it, and the mana returned only really pays off in longer fights imo.
I usually judge wisdom as third judgement or so, if at all, depending on the fight and on what dps I've got with me.
"It takes two to cuddle."
eia

Postby Lore » Tue May 29, 2007 7:33 am

Also don't knock Weapon Expertise - some recent research (pending further verification) is showing that it's actually even more effective than Precision for tanking purposes.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Garov » Tue May 29, 2007 7:41 am

ae'ing instead of cc helps alot. I'd also suggest judging wisdom first or maybe second, then bringing up your seal of righteousness. If you're ae'ing you're not worrying about agg on one mob, you're worrying about many. With wisdom on your target it'll help slow your mana drain down. Holy shield and consecrate like crazy. You might be surprised to find when you run oom the mobs are still very pissed at you.

Your spec might be affecting this too. I take the 10% more mana in holy even though many think it might be a waste. 1h spec and reckoning will also hold you for nice threat. Also, reckoning combined with your Seal of Wisdom will help you with your mana when you AE. Ultimately you need to spec to your playstyle. There are the "uber" cookie cutter specs, but if it's not working for your playstyle something needs to adapt. The only other thing I can think of is your Spiritual Attunement will get a bump to 10% in your 60's, and that will help a bunch.
Garov

Postby kurros » Tue May 29, 2007 8:35 am

eia wrote:
kurros wrote:That is part of your problem. Judge wisdom after avenger's shield.

I don't agree with this suggestion. You lose a lot of early threat on it, and the mana returned only really pays off in longer fights imo.
I usually judge wisdom as third judgement or so, if at all, depending on the fight and on what dps I've got with me.

/shrug

I used to tank on a warrior, so I am used to having low initial threat. If someone pulls the mob off me in the first 5 seconds I have lots of options, stun, righteous defense, BoP. I find those are rarely needed though, as avenger shield and usually at least 1 block from holy shield plus auto-attack with seal of righteousness is usually plenty to hold agro.

My groups would rather wait 3 seconds each pull for me to get solid agro rather than wait 20 seconds after each pull so I can drink. Plus the judged wisdom benefits all the dps casters I group with. Also, if you group with a hunter misdirection can totally trivialize the initial agro.
Anyway, lets just agree to disagree. Go away, or I'll just start reporting you to the mods for being a troll. In exchange, I'll stop pointing out your stupid in public.
kurros

Postby Gehrond » Tue May 29, 2007 8:56 am

kurros wrote:/shrug

I used to tank on a warrior, so I am used to having low initial threat. If someone pulls the mob off me in the first 5 seconds I have lots of options, stun, righteous defense, BoP. I find those are rarely needed though, as avenger shield and usually at least 1 block from holy shield plus auto-attack with seal of righteousness is usually plenty to hold agro.

My groups would rather wait 3 seconds each pull for me to get solid agro rather than wait 20 seconds after each pull so I can drink. Plus the judged wisdom benefits all the dps casters I group with. Also, if you group with a hunter misdirection can totally trivialize the initial agro.

I'm not so sure waiting 20 seconds post combat is worth risking aggro. Besides, some of the fastest instance runs are done with a prot pally going no-CC and full AoE from DPS and drinking after every pull. Don't forget using CC adds lots of time to every pull (even if you are doing mostly single target DPS).
Gehrond

Postby kurros » Tue May 29, 2007 9:20 am

Gehrond wrote:I'm not so sure waiting 20 seconds post combat is worth risking aggro. Besides, some of the fastest instance runs are done with a prot pally going no-CC and full AoE from DPS and drinking after every pull. Don't forget using CC adds lots of time to every pull (even if you are doing mostly single target DPS).

I don't use cc either. The risk is always there, judging righteousness from the start doesn't totally eliminate it, there can always be resists and avenger shield can miss. You can virtually eliminate the risks by using RD and stuns. Also, for some big pulls you will run out of mana during the pull if you don't judge wisdom, that to me is a much bigger risk.
kurros

Postby Gehrond » Tue May 29, 2007 10:35 am

kurros wrote:I don't use cc either. The risk is always there, judging righteousness from the start doesn't totally eliminate it, there can always be resists and avenger shield can miss. You can virtually eliminate the risks by using RD and stuns. Also, for some big pulls you will run out of mana during the pull if you don't judge wisdom, that to me is a much bigger risk.

Well, if you need to judge wisdom, you need to do it... That's a factor of gear, and I really don't want to comment on that pre-60.

Consider that if you aren't running CC, the last mob or two should have a metric ton of aggro on you from consecrate and/or holy shield spam. I found that when I do start going OOM it's too late for someone to rip aggro. If anything I'll seal/judge/seal wisdom towards the end of the pull so I have mana in case someone says "oh shit". :P
Gehrond

Return to General