Remove Advertisements

Evaluating a paladin

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Evaluating a paladin

Postby anariana » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:04 pm

After taking a few months break from WoW I re-joined my raid group as retri , pretty much as the same time as another port paladin applied. The tankadin seems to be have troubles on SSC thrash though (haven't tanked any bosses), and I'm trying to look into it to see if I can offer some advice. The problems seems to be tps, and possibly some surviveability issues,. His gear is not really built for crushing immunity as far as I can see but still pretty good (Lots of pre-kara epics and such). After he got the spelldamage sword from Gruul I think he lands on 300 spelldamage or so. Thus I assume the tps problem must be realted to some misstake he does.

I've been trying to look through WWS logs, but it's hard getting enough information. I can see that he probably has Righteous Fury active all the time (activated it 8 times during the raid), beyond that I can't tell very much since he didn't tank any boss and wasn't tanking thrash all the time either (at least that what assume since Holy Shield made up 3% of his damage during thrash, but I can't really know)

Is there any good way (addon) with which I could analyse his casts and damage takent osee if there's anything he might be doing wrong?

Also, I recall Lore posting a video dealing with the Murloc adds on Tidewalker. Is it still hosted somewhere?
anariana

Postby Dinedan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:19 pm

If you post his name and server we can at least eval his gear.
Dinedan

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:25 pm

I don't think any of the adds in SSC can crush, so that's not really a concern. If he's tanking murlocs, he probably should try to get a little more spell damage, and should use consumables along that vein as well. Are you sure his holy shield damage is only 3%, something with that isn't right.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Re: Evaluating a paladin

Postby Arcand » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:25 pm

anariana wrote:Is there any good way (addon) with which I could analyse his casts and damage takent osee if there's anything he might be doing wrong?

What was the average size of his Consecration ticks? That'll tell us if he's downranking. How about the average damage from his Holy Shield procs, same reason?

What was his ratio of Holy Shield casts to Consecration casts to Judgement casts? That can tell us something about his cooldown management and whether he's running flat-out on threat or holding back for some reason.

Do you have a log of the consumables he used? His use of potions and healthstones versus his number of deaths will tell you something.

And as already mentioned, give us name/server and we'll give his build and gear a go-over. (We're usually fairly gentle.)
Arcand

Postby anariana » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:22 pm

Froststar of Argent Dawn (EU)
WWS gives that his consecration had a 113 "average damage for dot tick", which I'm not sure if that is for each enemy. I had 100 with max ranked consecration as a compairsion.
His Holy Shield was 3% of his damage (avenger's shield was 5%) but he buffed himself with HS 50 time during trash. And it says it hit 51 times, for an average on 200 dmg.
anariana

Postby honorshammer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:01 pm

My last time in SSC, looking at only Trash Mobs.

My Consecration ticks for an avg of 111 with a max of 151.

My Holy Shield hits for an average of 247.

Here's the entire WWS. This was our first go at Hydross (dead in 9 attempts). I was the Frost MT so I'm not sure what kind of comparision you can draw.

http://wowwebstats.com/c3x6pxz5lktc1?a=0
honorshammer

Postby Erutaron » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:44 pm

anariana wrote:Froststar of Argent Dawn (EU)
WWS gives that his consecration had a 113 "average damage for dot tick", which I'm not sure if that is for each enemy. I had 100 with max ranked consecration as a compairsion.
His Holy Shield was 3% of his damage (avenger's shield was 5%) but he buffed himself with HS 50 time during trash. And it says it hit 51 times, for an average on 200 dmg.

Buffed 50 times = 400 Charges yet he only used 51 charges?

This seems kinda off to me, even when single target tanking a 5man, I use HS more then 50 times and I know I have more then 51 charges consumed.
Erutaron

Postby Arcand » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Erutaron wrote:Buffed 50 times = 400 Charges yet he only used 51 charges?

Even if you had a 0% block with HS down, and were getting attacked only once every 2 seconds, 50 casts should average 500 seconds x 1 attack/2 seconds x 0.35 blocks per attack = 87.5 blocks.

So yeah, that number's suspiciously low. Your combat log radius is set to max, right?

Maybe the guy spends a lot of time running after mobs with which he's lost aggro...?
Arcand

Postby Ajax » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:12 pm

armory ani't showing a true tanking set so hard to comment
If death comes to us all, then let it come to the DPS first ;)
Ajax

Postby lusisia » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:29 pm

Ajax wrote:armory ani't showing a true tanking set so hard to comment

Maybe that's the problem? What's the EU armory link?
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby anariana » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:16 pm

Ajax wrote:armory ani't showing a true tanking set so hard to comment

What I see at the moment is his tanking set. While it isn't anything I would wear tanking bosses, it should work on trash, no? Decent hp, good spelldamage and crit immune?
anariana

Postby Ajax » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:14 am

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talen ... =Froststar

its been updated since i last looked he had a 2 hander and lots of pvp items on then, trash in ssc hits hard he up to single tanking mobs but his gear is imho a bit weak for more than 1 at a time and would stress your healers as for aggro well his spell damage seams high enough but his block rating is very low if your not blocking your not getting the reflective dam from holy shield get him to swap libram for 5% more block.
He would also do more threat with points in 1 handed spec and precision talents like imp hammer of justice and stoicism are not raiding prot talents imo

To sum up some kara epics would make him easyer to keep alive while he don't need crushing immune for trash the more advoidance you have the easyer you are to keep alive, a few runs though TK heroics and normal modes to get a better shield (he half way to rep almost) and couple talent point changes to sort out his threat and he would be good to go
If death comes to us all, then let it come to the DPS first ;)
Ajax

Return to General