Remove Advertisements

Hey Ya'll!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Hey Ya'll!

Postby Nemcova » Wed May 23, 2007 11:43 pm

Hey fellow Tankadins!

Im glad i found this place, to say the least, its inspiring to see this many paladins with the same passion for tanking and versitility.

First off, i can do a little intro i guess :P

Been playing since release, started horde (undead shadow priest) and then switched to alliance with friends and went with a paladin. Ive been prot line since the reckbomb was never nerfed... and now a tankadin.

now, i have kind of run into a problem. SInce ive played healing classes in most games ive played, ive developed a knack for it. and In my current guild.. we recently lost many core members so they had asked me to respec to holy. and i was top 3 in effective healing for every single raid i was at, and now the predicament.

I have basically given the ultimatum "stay holy, or you wont come to raids anymore"

what do i got to do to get them to realize that: a) i can still be a good support healer as prot spec and b) paladin tanks are actually legit now and i wanna be given a chance!

My class lead likes the idea of tankadins, but he is soo unwilling to give it a try, i dont know what to do, and now they are willing to keep me out of raids despite my skill, just cuz of my spec!

i dont know what to do, i play this game to enjoy it, and i enjoy being prot...

anyone know what i can do to convince em?
70 Paladin of Shattered Hand.

Image.xml?r=Shattered+Hand&n=Nemcova
Nemcova

Postby Dorvan » Wed May 23, 2007 11:53 pm

Do they want you to stay Holy as a temporary thing, or on a permanent basis? When push comes to shove, the game's about having fun and you should do what you enjoy. As a prot pally you will contribute to the success of your raid, and if your guild is unwilling to see that perhaps it's timeto start looking elsewhere.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Nemcova » Thu May 24, 2007 12:07 am

well.. basically it was put to me that if i go back to prot, that holy paladins would take priority in raids over me, even tho my skill level far surpasses most of em.

So.. yea, they want me to stay holy from here on out, people who didnt know me in the guild would actually call me "the confused paladin" or "the scrubadin" every time they saw me on. But then when i spec'd holy and they started seeing the heal charts. they started to respect me.. i guess they dont wanna lose out on a consistent top 3 healer like i am.

but still...

i dont know what to say, i mean, my heal gear is good, even with only 4 pts into holy (4pts of divine int) i still have 1400+ healing, and im experienced at healing as a prot spec with little or no holy. and being prot spec, i do have an alchemy stone, and im not cheap with using mana pots

I enjoy this guild cuz i have friends in it, but sometimes i get frustrated with their tunnel vision

Nemcova

Postby Dorvan » Thu May 24, 2007 12:27 am

Well, ultimately no one here can tell you what the right choice is. If you think you can enjoy healing well enough and want to stick with some folks in your guild, stay Holy and live with it. If you want to venture into Prot, see what other guilds are recruiting and then tell your guild exactly where you're at. Personally, it sounds like they're trying to bully you and a good guild values good players over specific specs would be reluctant to let someone go just because they wanted to try something new.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Nemcova » Thu May 24, 2007 12:40 am

its not really something new.

Ive been prot since i rolled a paladin. FIrst went reckbomb.. raided as reckbomb .. was class lead as reckbomb (not with my current guild)

and then i got hacke.d. i quit.. and then came back a month after TBC came out.. and leveled as tankadin spec, i have only been holy spec since TBC came out for a total of 3 weeks. so. technically, im going back to tankadin spec. cuz thats how i leveled. its what i intended..

I think the thing that bugs me the most is, we have some very "mediocre" healers.. (im being modest in the words i choose,) in our raids.. and me as prot spec.. is better than what they can be on their best day as a holy spec.

yet they dont ever get talked to about being better... or trying to improve their gameplay. or maybe speccing DEEPER into holy to help them out even more.. i dont know

but the second i consider going back to prot, i get all these stop signs and basically get slapped with an ultimatum from the powers that be..

soo.. im getting frustrated and discouraged.

Nemcova

Postby Candria » Thu May 24, 2007 12:51 am

I can totally feel for you. I had been in a similar situation for a long time. Too long. I was a protection paladin from way back and use to OT in ZG and planned to continue in Kara. It wasn't that my guild didn't think I could tank, cause I occasionally specced protection if we were short a tank and fill in just fine; that got old real quick 50g respec bleh.

The problem was that we always seemed to be short on healers so I would get the guilt trip "we have enough tank but not enough healers." So I would suck it up and spec holy so we could raid and on top of that they would even have me OT occasionally, suprisingly I have OT'd all of Kara up to Chess event with a full holy spec a few times(not that amazing but kinda). Everyone in the guild know I have a thing for tanking and I managed to prove to them that I was viable by tanking 5 mans/heroics/Kara.

So here I am now with some kick ass healing gear and quite a few tanking epics i've managed to pick up through many Kara runs. I'm now full protection and mostly OT/MT for our Kara runs.

Its taken a long time to get where I am now. Looking back I know I haven't taken the fastest route to being one of my guilds "tanks", but in the process I've managed to get some solid healing gear if that is needed, upgrade a lot of my tank gear with epics, and I've earned the respect of my guildies in my tanking abilities.

I could have just Gquit when they asked me to heal but I like my guild and the people that are in it. So I chose to take the long road and it has paid off for me.

So my question to you would be how important is your guild to you? If you have a good guild that you like and they aren't totally opposed to the idea I'd say stick it out and wait for your opportunity(a tank quits/extra healers). Otherwise you may be better off finding a guild that is more open to a paladin tank.

As far as convincing them, the only way I can see is to actually let them give you chance. Talk to your GM/officers and explain to them the advantages and disadvantages of a pally tank, compare your stats with the tanks you currently have, post in your guild forum and try to get a discussion going about it.

Good Luck
Candria

Postby Nemcova » Thu May 24, 2007 1:15 am

Candria wrote:
As far as convincing them, the only way I can see is to actually let them give you chance. Talk to your GM/officers and explain to them the advantages and disadvantages of a pally tank, compare your stats with the tanks you currently have, post in your guild forum and try to get a discussion going about it.

Good Luck

My class lead is always the one throwing all these stats at me. he is a big time number cruncher and he knows what gear would be good to get uncrushable and what not..

but when it actually comes down to getting in there and tanking. he doesnt wanna give it a shot. its not even that. I dont mind healing, as long as i can stay my prot spec. cuz i would have the versatility to tank some encounters if need be. then switch to healing gear when needed.

I play this hybrid class because i do enjoy the versatility. So.. i wanna be able to tank kara/5mans/heroics as my prot spec.. but then.. i dont wanna feel like im being pushed out of raids cuz of that spec.. and i surely cant afford 50g respecs every tiem i have to do something different.

so i guess another question that kind of arises from this is: How viable is a prot paladin in a raid? in the respects of.. when they arent tanking.

because.. i know i wont be allowed to MT any 25mans.. im sure i can get a chance to tank an add on mag and whatnot. but i am willing to stand back and switch to my healing gear and heal when i need to. so..

how well do prot paladins heal when they are asked to support heal in 25mans?

im convinced with my experience healing as a non holy paladin.. that i know how to manage my mana well enough to last even in the longest of fights. im confident, but everyone else seems to be doubtful..

justified doubt? i dont know.. even my good friends in the guild are doubting it.. so im really anxious to get my chance to show em what we as tankadins are capable of.

Nemcova

Postby nicolax » Thu May 24, 2007 1:42 am

hm good to see i am not the only one having trouble with my guild.
Well my problem is this :

- i have tanked all 5 man, almost all heroics (including sh,arca,mecha... pre-2.1), curator... in kara and from the feedback i get from my guildies i'm a very good tank because i know how to hold aggro, taunt, use di or lay on hands... when it's needed.
i also have like 105+% from miss-dodge-parry-block so i'm beyond uncrittable-uncrushable with holy shield up
- we agreed with my guild leader that i would tank kara and heal 25 man.

the problem is that when we are short on tanks for 25 man, he won't even let me give it a try, it's a no. so of course i'm frustrated, and even if my other guildies are supporting me and trying to convince him, i can hardly complain since we agreed on that earlier.

More guys are recruited to the guild, and suddenly, officers and guild leader want me to heal in karazhan. i said yes, but if you let me offtank or tank things in 25 man. since the leader want to break our previous agreement and i can make the effort to heal in kara, i hoped he would agree for 25 man. i got a no which makes me angry, because i really dislike people that can only see tanking from an armor view (druid) or hp view (warrior).

i tried healing (got gear from all the instances+kara i tanked, like 1300+ healing) and i don't like it, so i guess i'll just re-spec prot, continue to do my stuff (quest/heroics..) and don't raid at all. if i can find a guild with a better leader, that can understand that paladins are not only healbot then i'll apply to it.

one more thing : those kind of leader are so stubborn and don't understand anything that they prefer letting warriors in 25 man, with less hp, way more crushable (and they do get crushes often), and undergeared tank.. sometimes they are not even specced protection. that's just silly+sad.
nicolax

Return to General