Post your Frustrations.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post your Frustrations.

Postby Kal » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:05 pm

Not being trained in any relevant field never stopped any American from chiming in!

In the sense of massive government investment in infrastructure in response to a recession, yes, "We are all Keynesians now". I think the question is now how Keynesian we are. The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money is on my reading list, so until I read it and reflect for some time, I'll abstain from certainty. I do have the gut feeling though, that proportional government intervention in times of financial crisis is not communism, but rather the government doing it's job.

A couple of relevant videos: The Great Depression: Crash Course US History #33 and The New Deal: Crash Course US History #34
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Sagara » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:24 pm

I've always been of the impression that a good government has to have a hand in economics, and more than merely a legislator. Our current economic model has proven time and again to be strongly trust-based. As such, classic macroeconomics would be perfect... On Vulcan. We're flightly little beings, and as such, we're just insanely easy to send spiraling out of control one way or another.

That's the main reason I believe good governance implies working as a security valve for the cycle of growth/recession: going into debt to re-charge a struggling economy by giving the average invester the opportunity to actually *invest* with a lower bottom line, and rebuild their finances during the growth that typically follows, which double-dibs as a deterrent to less-productive investments.

It's *actually* not that different from a good leader - ready with the motivational speech when things seem bad, and reminding people about the important things when they're getting complacent.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Gab » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Time Zones, Cultural differences and language barriers...

I've been managing a project where my company is acting as a logistics solution for procurement from US and Europe based suppliers for one of our customers who now have facilities in Bangalore...

Our Ops manager in the UK who is facilitating the procurement there is reluctantly helpful but keeps referring to the Indians as "Mems", whatever that means, and saying that when the UK had their Raj they'd just go beat them around the turbans when they acted up... Not at all helpful and more than a little bigoted.

I get his frustration, Indians (understandably, as they are on the OPPOSITE side of the world, so I mean no offense), from my experiences are a whole different breed then any group of people I have ever had to work with. I've dealt with the same customer's facilities in Germany, here in the US and in the UK in addition to other customers and suppliers around the world and have never had a fraction of the problems I'm running into dealing with Bangalore... It's just absurd. Everything, big or small, is a struggle. This,coupled with my "counterpart" in the UK's extreme prejudice toward India and the people, and the 4:00 AM conference calls have me at my wits end.

Meh if it were easy... anyone could do it, I suppose.
Gab

Postby Amirya » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:53 am

Work. Big changes, consolidating operations and moving them and all sorts of other shit. But, they're going to start beta testing this shit with AZ, AK, and CA. Awesome.

Well, when is that?

01/2013 - 12/2013
We don't know, we'll let you know when we know more.
01/2014
We don't know, we'll let you know when we know more.
02/2014
We don't know...
Wait, you have 1 week to apply for the new jobs opening up, and we strongly recommend you do apply for all, as we will be evaluating everyone to retain the best talent...read: Apply or risk your future.
Okay, we'll give an extra THREE DAYS to apply. BUT THAT'S IT.
Okay, so we're having a meeting today to tell you that we'll be having meetings tomorrow to tell you what single job we will permit you to have, take it or leave it. But we'll give you two days to decide! (Wed)
Sorry guys, we know we said we'd tell you today, but we only told CA. Maybe tomorrow! (Th)

The irritation is that we are supposed to confirm our acceptance by Monday. I do not work Fridays, and I am not wasting my time driving in to work just to find out that our idiotic corporate lunatics maybe/sortof/kinda decided. Or not.

I told my boss last night that if he really wants to call me to tell me what I'm allowed, he can, but I don't generally answer my phone on weekends. And most likely, I'll wait until Monday, and then tell them that they promised me two days to decide, so I'll decide by Wednesday.

My mother agrees this is a clusterfuck of a mess, and pretty demoralizing, because a lot of people are reading this as, "this is your one shot to be part of the future," aka Your job is in jeopardy.

Edit: AHAHAHAHAHA...I got the one I wanted, in a later training date, but that's ok. This moves me to a building closer to my house, but the best part is, my roommate is in the same department, same training date, so same building. I just keep the seniority over him.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Newsom » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:25 am

I cut through my thumb really deep. Spent all morning in the hospital and I'll be fine, but now it hurts like crazy and I can't work and I can't play because I can't use the thumb.

It's a weird combination of being in pain and being really bored. I just want today to end.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:59 am

may I inquire how?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Era » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:30 am

Probably while carving little wooden figurines in the shed where he runs and hides when his dad gets mad after one of his pranks.

Yay references that 3% of this board will get! :D
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:36 am

this is something you guys do in the Scandinavian countries, eh?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Era » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:47 am

Yeah, is what Health & Safety made us do to vent frustration instead of pillaging the English. :(
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Newsom » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:12 am

I was cutting up chicken for lunch with a very, very sharp knife. >.<

To top it off, when I got home I ordered a pizza since I was in too much pain to cook (that's what I was attempting to do when I cut my thumb in hte first place) and now my tummy hurts like crazy since I shouldn't be having pizza dough when gluten intolerant. This day is in the top 3 of worst days of my life.

@Era thanks for the laugh, needed that :p
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Newsom » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:15 am

The worst part is there's no one to blame but myself :D
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Hearthstone just crapped out on me as I was about to deliver the killing blow in an Arena match. I played my first card, then it all froze and wouldn't let me do anything else. I got a message popup shortly after saying I'd disconnected. The game didn't DC, though - it just booted me straight out to the arena page, and counted it as a loss. :(
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:25 am

Era wrote:Probably while carving little wooden figurines in the shed where he runs and hides when his dad gets mad after one of his pranks.

Yay references that 3% of this board will get! :D

EEeeeeemiiiiiill!
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Era » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Nooska wrote:EEeeeeemiiiiiill!

http://youtu.be/ap10T00_sOE
Era

Postby Nooska » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 am

It is slightly scary to think that little Ida is 48 today...
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

PreviousNext

Return to General