Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post your Frustrations.

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:44 am

o_o;;;

security cameras?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Sagara » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:09 am

cost waaaaaaay too much, man!

Sidetracking into a bit of sarcasm:
We've got 300 or so computers (which were bought for less than € 200).
The only spot that has a dedicated security system is the iron gate (using a card reader), and then, nothing all the way to the server room that has (get this) a lock and a motion detector (your run-of-the-mill, commercial alarm thingie).

Saying the bosses are kind of scrooges would guarantee me understatement of the year 2014 award, even this early.
I keep telling myself I should run away, but at least they're vapid enough not to notice the maintankadining overmuch.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Nooska » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:37 am

If they do notice its proabbly something they can live with ;-)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Worldie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 am

Sagara wrote:cost waaaaaaay too much, man!

know this feeling. I wanted to buy some security for my shop, but ended up deciding to hope my "very strong lock" will work as they demanded almost 1k euro for just a single camera system.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:20 am

Worldie wrote:

know this feeling. I wanted to buy some security for my shop, but ended up deciding to hope my "very strong lock" will work as they demanded almost 1k euro for just a single camera system.

Actually, this is gignormous sarcasm. To put things in perspective, we just invested in 75, 300€, Dells, as many telephones and screens, a new server blade and our headcount has just broken the 300-mark. To give an idea, we're dealing with roughly 20 000 calls a day.

So when I hear about "too expensive", I raise an eyebrow to match David Tennant's

Sagara

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Worldie wrote:

Buy a webcam and some software that records footage from the webcam to a hard-drive?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Nooska » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:52 am

make sure its an externally housed harddrive (thats not near the room its protecting)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Worldie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:07 am

im afraid the shop only happens to be 1 room :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:47 am

Not that much of a problem nowadays.

Worst-case idea:
Keep data on a local unit, and have someone halfway decent write a script that creates a new file and sends the old one to, say, an external drive. Have him make you an exe so that when you get back home and plug the drive, you just start the .exe to have the file stocked somewhere on your home computer and then delete it from the drive.

A bit of daily management, but it's not that hard. We had something similar with our entire customer database at my previous job (using NASes and automated backups, but concept's the same).

Sagara

Postby Andurin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:53 am

Sagara wrote:Not that much of a problem nowadays.

Worst-case idea:
Keep data on a local unit, and have someone halfway decent write a script that creates a new file and sends the old one to, say, an external drive. Have him make you an exe so that when you get back home and plug the drive, you just start the .exe to have the file stocked somewhere on your home computer and then delete it from the drive.

A bit of daily management, but it's not that hard. We had something similar with our entire customer database at my previous job (using NASes and automated backups, but concept's the same).

My inner software developer just died a little inside after reading this... But yeah, that "could" work :p If you got a decent internet connection (without data limits) you could also make something that just sends the file through the internet with a private network ish idea (like Hamachi for example). That would be more foolproof I think :p
Andurin

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:15 am

Andurin wrote:decent internet connection

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:12 am

Worldie wrote:
Andurin wrote:decent internet connection

Yeah... I though about an online upload, but I expected something like that to happen...

Sagara

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:22 am

To explain you what sort of connection us people that don't live in super major towns have in Italy, just know that to download WoW it takes me about 20 hours (if I'm lucky)

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Warrior co-tank gets blown up by the adds on Garrosh phase 1. I can probably survive them better but I lack the handy stun and heroic leap out of the ball of death that he has. So much ranged DPS time is spent dosing them down to die to the ball that Phase 1 takes forever. 2:40 minutes last night only once got to the second phase with the majority of the raid alive.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Darielle » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Warrior co-tank gets blown up by the adds on Garrosh phase 1. I can probably survive them better but I lack the handy stun and heroic leap out of the ball of death that he has. So much ranged DPS time is spent dosing them down to die to the ball that Phase 1 takes forever. 2:40 minutes last night only once got to the second phase with the majority of the raid alive.

Warrior stun, you Freedom, ???, profit?
Darielle

PreviousNext

Return to General