Remove Advertisements

Post your Frustrations.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post your Frustrations.

Postby halabar » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:48 am

Browsers... FF, Chrome, Safari, they all have different issues.. I'll use them all based on what I'm doing.

Facebook... I have a public page, mainly because my wife tags me with stuff with all her friends (half the discussion is in Thai, so I can't read it anyway) but I don't post anything myself, other than sharing my photography which I want to be publicly viewable.

Twitter... I keep separate accounts for different things, with some of my WoW Twitter accounts being hard to track back to me.

Linkedin... I do it because of work, but don't share anything that would ever be an issue.

Moral of social media: Don''t share anything that could be used against you, and don't share anything that could make you a target.

Unfortunately, in the case Shoju mentioned, people can be stupid on Facebook, not the girl, but the stupid idiots harrassing her. You should not have to hide on social media.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:52 am

Skye1013 wrote:Er... I didn't realize IE was a ever "chosen" if others were available... did IE somehow get that much better... or has FF fallen immensely?

IE versions 10+ are really solid browsers.

Since I am a Mac guy I primarily use Safari, still haven't found a better browser that integrates with OS features. When I use Windows I use Firefox since most of my Windows uses is via Virtual Machines and Chrome doesn't have a way to delete data on exit while Firefox does. Plus I trust Google less with my personal information than other companies. I don't use IE in Windows 7+ because I ran into issues with bookmark sync between it and iCloud.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:39 am

I've been too used to the security faults in IE to even trust the newer versions.

Firefox it is for me, always.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Chrome is out. I have a negative trustrating towards google. I use the searchmachine, but thats it.
The biggest frustration there is wanting to have a youtube account, but I have to open up with a complete google profile.

I know Chrome sourcecode is available (or did I misunderstand something), but I will inherently not trust a company that has the goal of knowing what I want before I do - thats too much knowledge of me for a company, too easiy to manipulate. (Also that they have to remind themselves "don't be evil", means that they acknowledge the clear potential - I'll just stay clear)

And if any of that sounds paranoid, well yeah it is - and I do have stuff to hide (Being active politically in reagrds to shaping policy, yeah I know a lot that should not be made publically available, after all, we need the full story to determine how to proceed, or what to think, and that kind of trust requires being paranoid about your secret/confidential information - no national security stuff here though, just the sausage being made, including internal discussions and disagreements that are usually solved before the sausage gets presented).
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:59 pm

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen ... dwi-crash/

"Couch’s attorneys argued his parents were responsible for the teen’s actions that night because of the way he had been raised. Defense attorneys put a psychologist on the stand who testified Couch was a product of wealth and got whatever he wanted. The psychologist also testified the teen was allowed to drink at a very young age and began driving at 13 years old. Defense attorneys argued Couch needed treatment, not jail and suggested a facility that costs almost half a million dollars a year."
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Newsom » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:33 pm

You think IE is better than Chrome when it comes to privacy? Microsoft sure has you fooled. :P

There's always Opera if you want a secure browser with actual features. Not open source but still.

I really don't see what's wrong with Chromium though. Also, Chrome/Chromium does have a really good Incognito mode where almost nothing is saved and everything is cleared on exit.
Newsom NewsSpoonFrangoNewsy
Newsom

Postby Teranoid » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Because everyone is so paranoid about "LOL GOOGLE CHROME ENJOY YOUR BOTNET"

I did chuckle at the belief that using a Microsoft product is any less potentially infringing on your privacy than Google.
Teranoid

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:12 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen-sentenced-to-probation-for-deadly-dwi-crash/

"Couch’s attorneys argued his parents were responsible for the teen’s actions that night because of the way he had been raised. Defense attorneys put a psychologist on the stand who testified Couch was a product of wealth and got whatever he wanted. The psychologist also testified the teen was allowed to drink at a very young age and began driving at 13 years old. Defense attorneys argued Couch needed treatment, not jail and suggested a facility that costs almost half a million dollars a year."

I can't disagree with this. Okay, maybe the treatment is too expensive, but I will never protest the idea of providing rehabilitation rather than punishment, when it's possible.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Kalimaa » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:30 am

I just have to vent my frustration here.

But having to disable my antivirus each time I have to use the official public login here in Denmark (banks, taxes, goverment, insurances etc.) because of the highly suspicious way the system is designed is a royal pain...
Kalimaa

Postby Nooska » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:13 am

I don't have any illusions regarding MS and privacy, but since I can't be bothered to run a *nix system for a long list of reasons, I fail to see how using IE is any more open to MS than windows in general (proprietary software, closed coed - if they want my damned info, they will have it; same with anything so called secure running any sort of closed code OS that isn't made by the company/individual using it).
Oh and open source software ha sthe same flaws for 99% of the population, because they aren't able to understand what it does anyway.

TL;DR - privacy in regards to Microsoft when running windows is a nonissue.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Fetzie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:27 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen-sentenced-to-probation-for-deadly-dwi-crash/

I can't disagree with this. Okay, maybe the treatment is too expensive, but I will never protest the idea of providing rehabilitation rather than punishment, when it's possible.

They could always ask the parents to cover part of the cost of the psychological treatment, because he was still a teenager.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:36 am

KysenMurrin wrote:

The guy is getting away with murder, actual literal murder, four of them, with a slap on the wrist, simply because he's white and rich. I don't see this concession being made for a black or latino kid whose family happen to be poor.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:41 am

Sad but true.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:50 am

Oh, I know -- doesn't mean I can't get frustrated by it.

The shrink guy actually said the kid was a victim of Affluenza, of being a rich white sheltered and spoiled kid. That shrink needs a halberd through the scrotum.
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:57 am

The biggest problem with Chrome is that it's a terrible memory hog. On my current MacPro (7 years old) running Chrome with 4+ tabs (or really even one) and WoW will basically freeze the system, while Firefox is slow but it works. Basicially it's the way Chrome creates separate rendering sessions for each tab, those quickly bring an older system to it's knees... (Part of the blame also lies with Adobe Flash/Shockwave that's built into Chrome and Safari. certain sites with lots of ads chew tons of memory).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General