Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post your Frustrations.

Postby culhag » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:17 pm

1% wipe on Garrosh 25-H :(
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:43 am

This is a convoluted sort of tale, but I can't really post it anywhere else to vent.

My wife is a social worker. She works for a foster care agency about an hour away. It works out, because for the most part, none of the children she works with, know our children, which was becoming a problem as my teenage son got older, and she was working in this community.

Well, she has one home that is local, and they have an 18 year old high school senior daughter. Apparently, she did something to make someone mad, and they have organized a group of people to spam her on facebook. Well, now there is drama, because my son friend requested her (nothing more) during all of this. Obviously, the girl knows my last name, and noticed his last name, and made the connection after looking over his profile (since it works as if you are friends when you request someone). Here are the problems with this situation.

1.) this girl has a public facebook account. hell, I was able to pull her up on mine, and see every single thing she has ever posted. This made me question a few things about the parenting skills of the parents involved, based on the content.
2.) this girl is mutual friends with a large portion of my teenage cousins, who are also my son's age. They have 60+ friends in common, 20 of those being cousins, 10 or so being guys he goes to school with, and then various other people. So, figuring he probably knew her, he sent her a friend request.

Well, since this girl did something to make someone mad, and a group of guys are spamming the ever loving shit out of her, obviously, the family thinks that my son is in on it, and wont listen to logic. Yet, they have taken no corrective measures to protect the privacy of their kid. Sure, sure, she's 18, and can do as she pleases, but really, if you are going to be stupid with technology, you sort of have it coming, and based on the content of the facebook account, she is stupid with technology.

But of course, it's drama. It's drama for my wife both with the foster parent, and with her employer. I told my wife, if she needs help in trying to get her employer to understand (most of whom, are also stupid with technology), that this isn't that surprising, and that my son did nothing wrong, I'm more than happy to drive the 60 minutes to her work, and bitchslap them all with logic.

Jesus people. Don't be stupid.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:49 am

And that's why I've never used my real name in facebook, heck, i don't even have a state, town, workplace nor where I studied listed.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:19 am

I have my personal Facebook as locked down as I possibly can have it, and let few people that I don't know IRL in. I have an Mter or two as a friend, but those are few and far between.

You can find me on there, and you can find my profile pics, and my cover photos, and a few select albums that I have set to public based on people that I know would be interested in seeing them (my son's incubator for example)

But, I've been purging my list. I know it's not the "most secure" thing, but I try and keep my business locked up pretty good. I've even gone back and redacted my name from a good many things in other places, to try and minimalize my digital footprint as much as possible.
Shoju

Postby Amirya » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:49 am

You're more open than I am, Shoju. I turned my facebook back on, but it's so locked down, no one can find me on there, even when I do give them my information (one friend, it took her about 5 days to get me added, even with me unlocking security on it). My friend number? 8.

I simply do not exist. :D

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Am I the only person here with his facebook profile PUBLIC (so, anyone can view it, even complete strangers)?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:23 pm

I trashtalk my work place a lot, in order to vent, hence why I try to avoid doxing myself... although I bet that if people from MT wanted, they could still find my real name even if I have never given it out. I've left enough clues as it is between here and twitter.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Amirya wrote:You're more open than I am, Shoju. I turned my facebook back on, but it's so locked down, no one can find me on there, even when I do give them my information (one friend, it took her about 5 days to get me added, even with me unlocking security on it). My friend number? 8.

I simply do not exist. :D

The only thing you'll find is my name, and some pics of me. I have it set up (or at least it should be, unless they removed it), that you can't even send me a friend request without my e-mail address. Which basically, was a "You don't ask me to be your friend. I tell you, I'm your friend" type of thing.

EDIT: And yes Worldie, you probably are. I know too much about the downsides of social media to leave much public. Though, my twitter is public. But if people really want to me my thoughts on the Browns, and random musings, and crap I tweet while forced to watch my wife's shows, I uh... well... have at it. My twitter is boring I rarely keep followers who aren't browns fans more than a week.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:59 pm

My Facebook mainly serves as a way to sync game save data between multiple mobile devices.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:40 am

Shoju wrote:EDIT: And yes Worldie, you probably are. I know too much about the downsides of social media to leave much public. Though, my twitter is public. But if people really want to me my thoughts on the Browns, and random musings, and crap I tweet while forced to watch my wife's shows, I uh... well... have at it. My twitter is boring I rarely keep followers who aren't browns fans more than a week.

Theres no downsides of social networks if you don't post compromising stuff on them (which I don't).
Yeah I guess people can see my real name, where I work and my phone number... so? Easier for them to contact me.

Facebook is cool to be amused by other people posting private informations and then complain about "no privacy and their secrets being known by everyone".
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:59 am

Worldie wrote:Theres no downsides of social networks if you don't post compromising stuff on them (which I don't).Yeah I guess people can see my real name, where I work and my phone number... so? Easier for them to contact me.

The bolded part is naïve, though I do like the thought process.

It's along the lines of "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" - complete trust in the system.

As a politician I've bene very invested in privacy questions, and the issue isn't whether the actual system, right now, misuses information (be that general surveillance of specific information gathering like social media), its what the potential for misuse is.
As an example, I (generally) trust the government agencies that are put in place to protect me (and other citizens), but I do not trust each and every one of the persons working there - it only takes 1, and in this day and age of digital identities, a lot of damage can be done to you and your image, specifically because (too) many people do not make informed opinions, and just trust what they see or hear, even when it can obviously be manipulated.

A good example is that most people (in the western world at least) generally trust the police to do their jobs to the best of their abilities (not talking individuals here), but that isn't a reaosn to abolish the justice systmes, becaus ethe police can get it wrong, and the justice system is (theoretically) the check that determines whether they got it right or wrong.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:29 am

Nooska wrote:
Worldie wrote:Theres no downsides of social networks if you don't post compromising stuff on them (which I don't).Yeah I guess people can see my real name, where I work and my phone number... so? Easier for them to contact me.

The bolded part is naïve, though I do like the thought process.

I concur... it isn't always about what you do or don't post... if your settings are public, then anything that anyone posts on your wall is also public.

That being said, I don't have the strictest controls on my fb... I limit what I post/share, but I'll change the settings of an individual picture/post based on whether I care if random stranger X reads it or not.

I do apparently need to adopt a banner that says "I'm gay" because my posts/shares/profile info apparently isn't enough... and I hate feeling like I'm always back in the closet whenever I get moved to a new place...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:32 am

I have seen some pretty awesome pride 'flag' cover pictures, maybe adopt one of those that could be considered tasteful (or not depending on whether you want to be tasteful of course :-P)
Main Characters:

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:34 am

Oh, also..
Frustration, I can't figure out whether I want to use IE or FF, right now I'm randomly using FF for things (other than FB, which is purely FF since IE has problems - probably me that did something) and I think I'm about 50/50 on usage, but IE is sitll my default browser.

(Don't start in security etc, I make informed choices as to what how and so on, and use protection*)

*that just sounds... wrong...
Main Characters:

Nooska

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:39 am

Er... I didn't realize IE was a ever "chosen" if others were available... did IE somehow get that much better... or has FF fallen immensely?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General