Remove Advertisements

Post your Frustrations.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post your Frustrations.

Postby Era » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:27 am

..phone convo previous page...

Friend just introduced me to the LG Nexus 4, Google phone! Looks good, has about the same specs, and is cheaper!
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby bldavis » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:46 am

Era wrote:Frustration 2: Part of me wants an iPhone just because there's soooo many fancy covers, and oh mah gawd is like transmogrification for phones!

Norwegian currency (seven moose and a polar bear) converted to American currency (three burgers and a gun) for your leisure:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ty for making me spit a mouthful of cereal all over my monitor and keyboard this morning

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:50 am

Era wrote:Frustration 2: Part of me wants an iPhone just because there's soooo many fancy covers, and oh mah gawd is like transmogrification for phones! But the iPhone 5's specs are just shameful... Simply shameful. The business student in me can't justify buying a lesser phone just for the shiny covers. :(

Mobile CPUs aren't truly comparable since 1) CPU design is a huge factor over clock speed and core count, early dual core Snapdragons vs higher clock quad core Tegra 3 is a big example of this, and 2) not much software really taxes multiple cores like on a desktop.

That being said there's always the leapfrog effect of buying a flagship phone 6 months after a competitor's was released and how fast the industry is moving.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Era » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:44 pm

Flex wrote:
Era wrote:Frustration 2: Part of me wants an iPhone just because there's soooo many fancy covers, and oh mah gawd is like transmogrification for phones! But the iPhone 5's specs are just shameful... Simply shameful. The business student in me can't justify buying a lesser phone just for the shiny covers. :(

Mobile CPUs aren't truly comparable since 1) CPU design is a huge factor over clock speed and core count, early dual core Snapdragons vs higher clock quad core Tegra 3 is a big example of this, and 2) not much software really taxes multiple cores like on a desktop.

That being said there's always the leapfrog effect of buying a flagship phone 6 months after a competitor's was released and how fast the industry is moving.

Fair enough, in the cases of HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4, they did release much more recently than the iPhone. The LG Nexus 4 was released around the same time though, and that's still twice the RAM and more powerful CPU. That being said, I won't pretend to know anything about mobile phone hardware or structural design. And yeah, I do see your point about phones != desktops.

I dunno. I could sort of justify buying iPhone 5 just over "I probably don't need the power anyway", but it just feels a bit like I'm not getting my money's worth.

bldavis wrote:
Era wrote:Norwegian currency (seven moose and a polar bear) converted to American currency (three burgers and a gun) for your leisure:

ty for making me spit a mouthful of cereal all over my monitor and keyboard this morning

You're welcome! ^^
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Worldie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:00 pm

bldavis wrote:
Era wrote:Frustration 2: Part of me wants an iPhone just because there's soooo many fancy covers, and oh mah gawd is like transmogrification for phones!

Norwegian currency (seven moose and a polar bear) converted to American currency (three burgers and a gun) for your leisure:

I almost choked when reading it :D

My girlfriend is now looking at me as if I was a weirdo of some sort.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:08 pm

Era wrote:I dunno. I could sort of justify buying iPhone 5 just over "I probably don't need the power anyway", but it just feels a bit like I'm not getting my money's worth.

A common complaint of Android, even today in 2GB RAM and Octo core processors, is that it often feels laggy compared to iOS devices.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:39 pm

allergies that decided oh hey, we have been nice all spring..TIME TO KICK IN FUCKER! and it has been in the last 6 hours or so...went from having a great day to oh god my head...why cant i stop sneezing..oh sinuses...fuck more sneezing...

so i am taking some benadryl and going to bed, fuck this shit!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Era » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:22 am

Flex wrote:A common complaint of Android, even today in 2GB RAM and Octo core processors, is that it often feels laggy compared to iOS devices.

I've heard this as well. Hm. Well, iirc my sister has the iPhone 5, and I think my dad has the HTC One. If I'm lucky, maybe one of my cousins has a Galaxy or Nexus. Joining them all on a family vacation kind of thing soon, so I'll make sure to get a feel for the different phones. I appreciate the various input btw, thanks guys. :)
Era

Postby Nooska » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:07 am

iPhones don't need as much ram to be effective as an android, purely because iOS is designed specificlaly for that limited range of hardware, sot it is optimized for that.
(I've seen very varying results of android on similarly "powerful" phones)

Also, what you are getting with the iDevices, is several years worth of updates, where your phone will get all the abilities it can handle hardwarewise, and just not get the ones it can't.

Personal analogy - we had HTC Desires 1 year ago - today we have iPhones (4s), and I've had no regrets - it's been easier to get things done and faster in a way that I've not seen on any of the equivalent generation of android phones.
I am by no means an apple fanboi - but with iPhones they have, in my opinion, really hit the sweetspot for phone users. (Phone hackers, I don't know, but I also have to say, that for me, a phone is for calling primarily, and being smart, the base apps like maps, browser and stuff like that also has to be fast and responsive - not looking at connection speed as thats primaily a carrier issue).

As for what phone, unless you are in an area where 4G connection is very extensive (and outside of wi-fi most of the time), an iPhone 4s could probably be worth it at possibly a lower pricerange - or even an iPhone 4 (they are the big selling iPhone for a lot of danish companies), if you don't care about Siri.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Era » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:29 am

Nice to get some pro-iPhone perspectives. :) Question though, is it as incompatible with Google as I've heard? Things like Google maps, calendar, mail, etc.? Are you locked into the Apple services?
Era

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:32 am

i got google maps on my iphone, i use it as my gps

google drive and gmail are also available for it.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Era » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:48 am

Nice, thanks.
Era

Postby Nooska » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:59 am

The base maps app is apples own, though I honestly can't tell any real difference between the map on my iPhone, and the one on my iPad (first gen) which is blocked from the iOS update that got the apple map (so it still has google map).

The google webpage is very easy on the phone (seems optimized for it - more or less) and can tap directly into your location if you want to access one of the quick finds (like "places to eat").
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby JoeBravo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:59 am

we need recruits....
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby halabar » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Era wrote:Nice, thanks.

And besides, it's a phone. All the other Google fanboi rants against them really don't hold water for 95% of the population. The biggest issue with the Android OS is the memory issue, that relates to that sluggishness, you could double the memory and the apps would still chew it up. The things that the Google boys rant against iOS for is exactly what allows iOS to be responsive. (I really don't need to multitask on a phone...)
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General