Remove Advertisements

Post your Frustrations.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post your Frustrations.

Postby Klaudandus » Tue May 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Flex wrote:Shortcomings for management fine, shortcomings as actual computers? Not really.

Just overpriced as hell. If they would let me, I'd bootcamp the office macbook; I aint trashing the hardware (although its obvious I think the price tag is excessive) but damn if I don't hate the osx ui, and the shortcomings of the management side of their software.

At least I give apple props for having pretty standard support for plenty of their products. I like that the iphone 4 still gets its updates and such.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Tue May 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Flex wrote:Shortcomings for management fine, shortcomings as actual computers? Not really.

Just overpriced as hell. If they would let me, I'd bootcamp the office macbook, I aint trashing the hardware (although its obvious I think the price tag is excessive) but damn if I don't hate the osx ui.

Well because Apple charges a healthy margin instead of a razor thin margin and try to make up for it in volume. Latest conjecture has Apple making more profit on their Mac sales than the top 5 Windows PC makers combined.

And what's wrong with the UI? Most issues I see revolve around people trying to use it like Windows instead of using it like OS X, which is understandable as Windows 7 annoys the fuck out of me since I mainly use Macs.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue May 14, 2013 2:55 pm

well, for example... progress bars, percentages and estimated times. I need those. I cannot be tied down to a single classroom while I wait for the macbook to dignify itself to finish installing all the updated apps to the ipad.

I need to have a ballpark figure on how much time a specific time is gonna take, according to the computer, rather than gauge it empirically from a case to case basis as I work on each and every single ipad cart in the district.

Like I said, one school alone has 37 carts (925 ipads), the other middle schools have 35, 17 and 15 respectively. then there's the elementary schools with 2 carts each...

Then god forbid the HD locks up on the macbook during the update to 10.7.5 or the process will be setback by a whole day, while restoring the macbook -- and the restored macbook doesnt accept the apple configurator backups from before the crash...

Right now it is taking about 4 hrs to finish a whole cart and have it up to date with everything, if all goes well... But having etas would help us all out a lot as a dept, allowing us to better stagger ourselves and our work rather than babysit 25 ipads for between 2 and 4 hrs, not knowing when it will be done.
---
Klaudandus

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue May 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Windows Update's pretty bad like that right now. Doesn't really indicate more than how many files have been installed, and not much distinction between large and small ones.

Windows Vista's disk defragmentation was the worst - it gave no progress indicators at all, just text saying it was in progress.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Tue May 14, 2013 3:12 pm

But the general shittiness of computer ETAs makes "in progress" similarly accurate as trying to give precise estimates on semi-complex tasks. Windows installers tend to be the most fun in my usage experience since they are all so varied. Had an installer that flew by the first 80ish percent then died the last portion because it installed a big file then went to a bunch of small files and based progress on overall expanded size. HP printer driver installers giving me double progress bars, one for overall stage status and then the bottom giving me a progress bar for every individual file installed or downloaded, so a bunch of small files being installed results in an amazing flashing progress bar.

Back when OS X still showed one at boot it was a fake one. A timer would time the time it took to go from bootloader to when the UI service was loaded, save it to a text file and the next boot would use that value to create the status bar.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Tue May 14, 2013 3:18 pm

I don't think Windows systems would be any better. The MacBook HD locking and causing you to need to restore then redo all the iPads.. sure... Windows would NEVER do that... :roll:

While on the topic of Apple...

Where the hell is my new MacPro? Not buying new Mac hardware until it's released, and am getting closer to buying a PC..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Chunes » Tue May 14, 2013 3:31 pm

I think my largest gripe about apple is just the whole "Apple knows best" mentality when it comes to their user experience. I'm with klaud in that I do not enjoy the apple OS environment, but that's largely a product of taste and how accustomed I am to the windows organization.

I ran a 17" powerbook all through college and I loved it, but admittedly I was sort of short on windows-based options because at the time, XP was getting pretty long in tooth and all the pc-based laptop makers had not really caught on to the modern design philosophy of laptops that is now taken for granted (i.e. backlit keys, quality chasis, ridiculous resolution on the screen, widescreen aspect ratio, etc.)

When vista dropped, I jumped on the bandwagon and had a fucking terrible time of it, but I was plagued more by non-existant windows certified drivers for my GPU and an unstable 32b environment than anything. Vista was a failure but at least it still had the features that windows has battle tested in the enterprise environment in terms of user account control, network resource management and the like. I have not had an easy time getting my wife's powerbook to do the same stuff that takes ~5 min to configure on windows machines, but I admit, much of that is likely due to lack of understanding of the OSX environment. To that point though, isn't is supposed to be really easy to use a mac? There's a disconnect somewhere when you start to transition from casual user to power user, but I digress.

When 7 came out, it was like the best of the XP days, the aesthetic of the vista days all polished to a very high level of stability and quality.

Also, being able to put together a win7 machine from the bare parts is something you can't really do with an apple because they own all the hardware manufacturing etc. It makes for a very, very stable environment because you don't have to cater to aging hardware standards like the PC makers do and you can architect your software with a single hardware paradigm in mind, but you lose that flexibility of being able to choose the parts you want for the task at hand. That's not a trade off I'm really ever willing to make just for a stable user experience.
Chunes

Postby Klaudandus » Tue May 14, 2013 3:37 pm

I dont have a qualm with apple as a single user machine, but its horrible, from my experience,as a mass deployed machine.

also, it seems my central AC unit died... it's 80 degrees inside the house and it doesnt seem to be cooling anything at all.

Make it 81
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue May 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Well... fark... Nalak hates tank specs
---
Klaudandus

Postby bldavis » Tue May 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Shoju wrote:MoP has finally put the dagger in Lurkers-Terenas.
Looks like they will be moving / absorbed into another guild they have been friendly with since Vanilla.

Just lost too much momentum with the losses at the end of Cataclysm.
:shock: '

omg...am i the NA more causal form of worldie? :?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nooska » Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 am

^causal or casual?

--

On apples - I like them for the iPad and the iPhone - both because they are so easy that my (at the time) 6 year old took all of 30 seconds to learn to use it. I think even my mother could be persuaded to use a smart phone if it was an iPhone (instead she just bought a new nokia, because she don't need no smart in her phone, its just for ringing - coming from the same woman who thought cell phones were completely superflous back when I got my first - the sam eperson that now expects a reply to a text withing a minute or 2, and complains when we go shopping (½ hour to an hour tops) without our phones).
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed May 15, 2013 3:25 am

Toddlers are good with pretty much any touchscreen device. It's the most intuitive interface there is.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shoju » Wed May 15, 2013 6:27 am

halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:MoP has finally put the dagger in Lurkers-Terenas.
Looks like they will be moving / absorbed into another guild they have been friendly with since Vanilla.

Just lost too much momentum with the losses at the end of Cataclysm.

D3 killed Lurkers long before MoP did.

D3 didn't leave them short of enough people to raid. D3 came out, and we still raided.
They still raided after you left.
They still raided after I left.
They still raided after the GM went off the reservation because his presidential candidate lost the election, and he thought the world was going to end, and quit in the middle of the night.
They still raided all of the intro content.
They can't raid now. in 5.2.

If you wanted to list them as nails in a coffin,
Firelands was a hefty nail. (small raid size)
Dragon Soul was a Pretty big nail (Small Raid Size, and Linear environment)
D3 was a Pretty Big nail, but it didn't kill the guild. (The Lurkerlounge was a D2 fan site, akin to this place. That should be no surprise)
MOP has been the final nail in the coffin.

At least they have a friendly guild to go to, and a lot of people are leaving alts and the like in the Lurkers Guild.

Sadly, this development will probably keep me from ever going back to WoW. Even with my distaste for the current Xpac, and changes, I could have at least entertained the idea of coming back to WoW in the future. BUt it would have been for social reasons.

I am a Lurker. I don't have anything against the guild they went to, but it's not <Lurkers>. It's probably weird, but knowing that I would be raiding under a different name is a negative.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 15, 2013 7:18 am

More apple gripes.

would it really hurt them to openly list the direct download links to their iOS updates?
---
Klaudandus

Postby benebarba » Wed May 15, 2013 7:36 am

respond to a call for 'group 2 forming for oondasta'

silly me for thinking that this meant that:
1) group 1 had its crap together (as in: was full, had tanks and healers and someone to pull)
2) group 1 even knew group 2 existed and was in communication with the RL (which I at some point became, after the dude recruiting decided to do I don't even know what)

Seriously people. It's not that hard, even if you do the chain-rez multi-raid nonsense because no one can bother to do things remotely properly. It *should not* take another 45 minutes after having 50+ people on the island (and maybe 20 more en-route) before the first pull is made (terribly) by a tank running back to the grave/beach area.

Once we did actually pull, I then promptly failed at Theck's (completely clear, I should note) instructions to simply outlive the crap tanks, thereby obtaining god-like status. *facepalm*
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to General