Post your Frustrations.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post your Frustrations.

Postby Lieris » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:05 am

Klaudandus wrote:What is the alternative? Opera? Firefox? Safari?

I never warmed to Firefox on OS X and unfortunately Apple don't want to update their web browser on operating systems older than 3 years so my choices are limited. I have to suck it up and use whichever one sucks the least on this deprecated rig. :(

And oh god, American coverage of football on Fox is so bad. Moronic sports punditry really is a universal thing.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:55 am

Fox is notoriously bad for your football and our football
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:01 am

IE; 12 tabs open, total usage 500 mb (the highers instance is 175 mb - not quite sure which tab that is)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby halabar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:24 am

Chrome with 8 tabs open, ~800MB+ (1500MB+ of VMem), but what really seems to choke it when playing WoW at the same time is their PepperFlashPlayer, which you can't turn off, and I don't think an ad blocker helps with that (and I do web development, so turning off Flash and ads is counter-productive since I need to see what stuff actually looks like).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:25 am

Lieris wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:What is the alternative? Opera? Firefox? Safari?

I never warmed to Firefox on OS X and unfortunately Apple don't want to update their web browser on operating systems older than 3 years so my choices are limited. I have to suck it up and use whichever one sucks the least on this deprecated rig. :(

Yeah, the layout of MTankadin on my version of Safari is kinda busted.

Still waiting for an upgrade for this MacPro... getting closer and closer to buying a Doghouse or building my own PC.

halabar

Postby Lieris » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:42 am

halabar wrote:Still waiting for an upgrade for this MacPro... getting closer and closer to buying a Doghouse or building my own PC.

I may have asked you already but what about a Hackintosh? They're supposed to be pretty reliable if you stick to the recommended parts and keep a bootable backup: http://www.tonymacx86.com/339-building- ... -2013.html
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:44 am

Klaudandus wrote:Fox is notoriously bad for your football and our football

Figures. :)
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Crit Errs during 2nd breath on Megaera each and every time...ugh.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Lieris wrote:
halabar wrote:Still waiting for an upgrade for this MacPro... getting closer and closer to buying a Doghouse or building my own PC.

I may have asked you already but what about a Hackintosh? They're supposed to be pretty reliable if you stick to the recommended parts and keep a bootable backup: http://www.tonymacx86.com/339-building- ... -2013.html

I'm considering that.. but the biggest problem I've seen is that they are not necessarily the best performers. And having things break when Apple updates. OSX updates are something to be approached with trepidation with a Hackintosh.

But yeah, it's a consideration, and something I'll look at if I do break down and give up waiting on Apple. But it will have to be a reasonable performer. Since there are new video drivers in the 10.8.3 update, I'm going to watch and see what the Hackintosh community does with those.

Edit: Looking at that link, they do seem do be addressing the 10.8.3 update already, so it is something to be considered.

halabar

Postby Flex » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:59 pm

What do you need a Mac Pro for?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Era » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Frustration: Completing Hell difficulty in D3 at level 50. Now I need to grind 10 levels before I can move to the next difficulty...
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby halabar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Flex wrote:What do you need a Mac Pro for?

Graphics and photography. Going to be upgrading to a D800 soon, which has quite large RAW files. Lightroom and Photoshop need some working room. :-) I use dual 24" monitors, and so I need enough video support for them, as well as the capability to expand the storage.

I don't like the iMacs due the the GPU and being locked into a configuration, and also not being able to utilize matching monitors. I could probably get away with a MacMini if there was an option for a better GPU.

Do I really need all the horsepower of an updated MacPro? No. Do I need more than an iMac or MacMini? yes.

Current MacPro is a 2x2.66 DualCore Xeon that's 6 years old now? 5GB RAM isn't quite cutting it, but I don't want to buy old dimms to upgrade it.

If I could upgrade this system to OSX 10.8.3 (which I can't) and get a modern video card for it, then I might go ahead and just upgrade the RAM, CPU still has enough juice, but my video card is 3 years old...

What I fear is going to happen is that Apple is going to release a new MacPro, but it will be a $5k system that still leaves a huge gap between the iMac/MacMini, and the new MacPro. Which will put me back to Doghouse or Hackintosh.

halabar

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Sims. Arg. I have 3 new trinkets: Renataki's Soul Charm (procs an agi buff that increases over time); Vicious Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault (8800 agi proc); and Bad Juju (7333 agi proc). Lot of people saying that the Shado-Pan trinket is very, very good for Enhance. Simcraft says using it is 2k dps worse than any combination involving the other two.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Levantine » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Reinstalled SC2 and D3 and I've managed to lose all of my realid/battletag friends. Fucking hell.4
Levantine

Postby Lieris » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:20 pm

halabar wrote:What I fear is going to happen is that Apple is going to release a new MacPro, but it will be a $5k system that still leaves a huge gap between the iMac/MacMini, and the new MacPro. Which will put me back to Doghouse or Hackintosh.

I really don't get that about Apple. There are a lot of people who need the flexibility of a tower but don't have silly money to spend on a new computer that is massively overkill for their needs. That their "pro" machine is 3 years out of date yet they sell it for so much is so shameless on their part.

I've been reading up a fair bit on Hackintoshes lately and I really think it's the way to go if you don't need a portable machine; it's not the hassle it used to be. Even if 10.9 did break something with no possible workarounds it would be easy to revert to a backup of 10.8, buy whatever motherboard is recommended for the new OS and pop the old one on ebay. Point releases seem to be a case of waiting for others to post solutions and updating when you have a free evening.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General