Post your Frustrations.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post your Frustrations.

Postby bldavis » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:35 am

lol no kidding

what are you taking and why arent you sharing! :twisted:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:56 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Newsom wrote:To be honest, the problem is the patent laws.

No question about it, doesnt excuse apple being a patent troll though

Gotta disagree here... the problem is the number of rip-off artists and such that will abuse a company's logo.

The real culprit is the bastard lawyers who buy up millions of patents and then sue everyone in sight. If you really wanted to change things, make patents non-transferable. If you didn't invent it and get the patent, you can't sue someone else over it.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Hmm. Not too long ago Apple sued another company that used an apple for its logo (company totally unconnected to computer devices), and IIRC about the only thing that looked similar on it was the leaf at the top.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:49 pm

halabar wrote:If you really wanted to change things, make patents non-transferable. If you didn't invent it and get the patent, you can't sue someone else over it.

Better yet, we could just kill all educated people. That would put an end to all lawsuits. :roll:

Sarcasm aside, I think that if USPTO can't stop bullshit patents and trademarks from slipping through its examination net (and given the sheer volume of applications that they have to process, it's pretty much inevitable), they should at least implement a more efficient opposition/annulment procedure.

For example, if you manage to get a Russian patent for something clearly known from prior art (like Apple's rectangle design) or otherwise unpatentable and decide to sue me on the basis of it, I can just file an opposition request with the Chamber of Patent Disputes and get your patent annulled. It would cost me about ~100 US$ in official fees and the procedure itself is comparatively swift - your patent would be declared null long before your infringement case would get anywhere. (Coincidentally, patent trolling is all but nonexistent in Russia).
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Nordix » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Heroic amber shaper,construct
In phase 2,you are supposed to:
Keep up the stacks on boss:
Keep up the stacks on the add
Interrupt yourself
Interrupt the add
Keep your energy up while the boss being moved all around

Doing this on ONE construct ,the tank one that gets reshaped last in p1.I may have lost my edge in the previous weeks with the racism n such shenaningans because I was literally raidlogging (aka not playing wow at all) or this is not executable and the other construct has to interrupt the lavaguy.
Nordix

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:35 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Hmm. Not too long ago Apple sued another company that used an apple for its logo (company totally unconnected to computer devices), and IIRC about the only thing that looked similar on it was the leaf at the top.

heck, i think they wanted to sue a polish grocery store cuz their website is a.pl

its things like this that makes me wish for some vlad teppes type torture on these trolls
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Gotta disagree here... the problem is the number of rip-off artists and such that will abuse a company's logo.

You mean like this café in Germany that chose this as its logo and got sued by Apple?

The problem is that it is too easy to get a patent for some product or process that you don't use, or should never be patented in the first place. In my opinion, if a patent is issued, the person or company registering the patent should have to show they have created something using it within a time period, let's say 3 years. If nothing is forthcoming when this deadline expires, the patent is revoked and cannot be re-registered for another ten years. The requirements for eligibility for a patent need to be brought out of the 19th century too.
Last edited by Fetzie on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/10/apple_applies_to_trademark_the_leaf/

And this is why I dislike Apple.

Oh shit... Adidas has THREE of the leaves in it's logo!
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Fetzie wrote:

You mean like this café in Germany that chose this as its logo and got sued by Apple?

The problem is that it is too easy to get a patent for some product or process that you don't use, or should never be patented in the first place. In my opinion, if a patent is issued, the person or company registering the patent should have to show they have created something using it within a time period, let's say 3 years. If nothing is forthcoming when this deadline expires, the patent is revoked and cannot be re-registered for another ten years. The requirements for eligibility for a patent need to be brought out of the 19th century too.

What I dislike is that the patent office has pretty much allowed abstract concepts to be patented -- I believe apple recently got a patent for what they call 5D tv -- without a proof of concept.

It's like if they were to grant me a patent on a flying car without showing how its supposed to work, which is what really should be patented.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Passionario » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:26 am

Fetzie wrote:The problem is that it is too easy to get a patent for some product or process that you don't use, or should never be patented in the first place. In my opinion, if a patent is issued, the person or company registering the patent should have to show they have created something using it within a time period, let's say 3 years. If nothing is forthcoming when this deadline expires, the patent is revoked and cannot be re-registered for another ten years.

Many patent systems actually have measures to discourage patent holders from sitting on their IP. In Russia, if you don't use your patent for a given time period (4 years for inventions and industrial designs, 3 years for utility models), it becomes subject to mandatory licensing. From that point on, anyone can go to a court, demand to enter into a non-exclusive license agreement to use your technology (on terms and conditions set by the court), and you can't say 'no'.

Klaudandus wrote:What I dislike is that the patent office has pretty much allowed abstract concepts to be patented -- I believe apple recently got a patent for what they call 5D tv -- without a proof of concept.

The name as such is not really relevant - for all the Patent Office cares, Apple might as well name it "Time And Relative Dimension In Space Mark IV". The important parts are claims and description.

(In this particular case, they seem to be patenting some kind of a 3D-touchscreen - an improved version of Kinect, I suppose)

One thing to keep in mind is that software and business methods are one of the most controversial areas in IP law. Scholars, lawyers and legislators have been passionately debating for many years now whether they should be patentable, copyrightable or placed into a separate category of their own. Quite a few patent systems refuse to recognize them at all. If there is a right answer to this issue, we haven't found it yet.
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:00 am

Whatever happened to all that fuss a few years back about the company that had patented online interaction in a virtual environment using avatars (ie, pretty much all online gaming)?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nordix » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:29 am

Can someone please elaborate on the hc unsok thingie?
Nordix

Postby halabar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Whatever happened to all that fuss a few years back about the company that had patented online interaction in a virtual environment using avatars (ie, pretty much all online gaming)?

That one is still in the courts.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Passionario » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:35 am

Nordix wrote:Can someone please elaborate on the hc unsok thingie?

- Disable all DBM alerts that are not absolutely crucial to your own role.
- If you're 2-healing it, try 3-healing. If you're 3-healing, try 2-healing.
- If all else fails, get 60+ debuff stacks in P1 and try to Bloodlust him the rest of the way. :D
Passionario

Postby Nordix » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Nordix

PreviousNext

Return to General