Remove Advertisements

Wyndforge.com Paladin Screenshot Contest - WINNER!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Wyndforge.com Paladin Screenshot Contest - WINNER!

Postby Oramac » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:50 pm

corc wrote:
Warrender wrote:
Oramac wrote:THIS is why i made my paladin. The idea of a holy warrior stepping into hell and kickin ass in the name of God is the reason Oramac exists. I was ret from day one, and will always be ret at heart and this screen exemplifies that.

How so? Isn't that a Thunderfury in his hands? Hardly a Ret weapon.

Either way, great choice for the winner. I'm sure it wasn't easy choosing from so many quality entries.

TF is big enough to be a 2Her, let him dream :D

that and, the guy in the screen isnt holding a shield (or anything) in his off hand, which indicated to me at first glance that he was holding a 2Her
Aplus wrote:Yeah every time I get a big head, I go and try to solo a warlock.brings me back down to earth pretty fast
Oramac

Favor please

Postby Wyndforge » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:17 pm

Anybody here have an account on the EU servers? Mithos doesn't even know he's won yet, so I was wondering if someone can create a character on the Runetotem server and /w or send in-game mail to Mithos to let him know he's got a surprise waiting for him on the Maintankadin forums :)

Thanks!
Wynd
Wyndforge

Postby Grandell » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:14 pm

Sent him a ingame mail, so he should get it when he logs on.

hehe had to beg someone for the 30 copper *grins*
Grandell

Postby Ahms » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:21 am

Those are some awesome shots. Grats to the winner!
Paid by the Alliance
To slay all the giants

-Ahms of Mannoroth

Art - http://ahms.deviantart.com/
Ahms

Postby Korath » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:00 am

Grats everyone, some great shots there... really love Invisura's

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Warheit » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:04 am

Invis would have won for me personally. the other are nice, but all other shots were way too symmetrical.

3/4 view angles go along way.

i think all the shots except Invis was the paladin dead center in the middle with equal balance on both sides of the background. which takes away from the dynamic effect they tried to convey.
Warheit

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:16 am

Warheit wrote:Invis would have won for me personally. the other are nice, but all other shots were way too symmetrical.

i think all the shots except Invis was the paladin dead center in the middle with equal balance on both sides of the background. which takes away from the dynamic effect they tried to convey.
The church one really shouldn't have a dynamic appeal anyway, you're looking at one side of the thing. I agree that action shots aren't usually good when symetrical - Palafix's would be better with some camera angling, for example.

Without a theme, I'd say all 3 firsts are equally good in their own way. One is stoic, austere, the other gives you the expectation of something spiffy about to happen, the other is dramatic...
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Warheit » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:25 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Warheit wrote:Invis would have won for me personally. the other are nice, but all other shots were way too symmetrical.

The church one really shouldn't have a dynamic appeal anyway, you're looking at one side of the thing. I agree that action shots aren't usually good when symetrical - Palafix's would be better with some camera angling, for example.

Without a theme, I'd say all 3 firsts are equally good in their own way. One is stoic, austere, the other gives you the expectation of something spiffy about to happen, the other is dramatic...

the church one was too boring.

its the most symmetrical of all of them. it made it so uninteresting.

turning the camera just a bit to one side would have made it so much better.
Warheit

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:46 pm

That's exactly what i'm trying to tell you: It's not an action shot. It's shine comes from the point of view of something big, surrounding you with a feeling of grandeur or the unwavering power the faith of a paladin has.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:26 pm

I went with action, because violence is cool.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Warheit » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:54 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:That's exactly what i'm trying to tell you: It's not an action shot. It's shine comes from the point of view of something big, surrounding you with a feeling of grandeur or the unwavering power the faith of a paladin has.

and what I'm trying to tell you is that just because it's not an action shot, that its not excuse to think about composition.

symmetry is boring.

theres a bunch of images out there of peaceful settings, of order, balance, church, etc etc etc, that aren't 100% exactly symetrical.

it's an element of the picture, regardless of what's being depicted.

i don't get any of that.

all i get is a giant bore all over the place. I'm not asking for chuck Norris with machine guns that fire squirrels here. just turn the camera just a bit to the left or right. and wallah!
Warheit

Postby Nicos » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:59 pm

Warheit wrote:I'm not asking for chuck Norris with machine guns that fire squirrels here.

I am.
Nicos

Postby Wyndforge » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:23 pm

Grandell wrote:Sent him a ingame mail, so he should get it when he logs on.

hehe had to beg someone for the 30 copper *grins*

Thanks Grandell! Forgot about the whole 30c per mail thing :lol:

Cheers,
Wynd
Wyndforge

Postby fiorina » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:26 pm

That's great theorycraft from photo or painting guides but try to do 3/4 screenshot without a photoshop or modelviewer. You always end-up with paladin in the center unless you "stuck" camera somewhere. If post processing was allowed, just ignore it.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Warheit » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:36 pm

fiorina wrote:

That's great theorycraft from photo or painting guides but try to do 3/4 screenshot without a photoshop or modelviewer. You always end-up with paladin in the center unless you "stuck" camera somewhere. If post processing was allowed, just ignore it.

i do them all the time.

in fact i never use photoshop or any modelviewer ever in anything.

you people act like photoshop is the only way to make this things better.

for the last time, rotate the camera a bit. in fact, rotate it to the right a bit more. so we see more of his right side, his weapon, his shield on his back.

this automatically will make the background not 100% exactly the same and will feel more dynamic while increasing the composition value.

this also removes the deal with his left leg, which due to the low poly-count blizz uses and the way boots go through his knees, just looks weird.

the fact we see a bit of his side will also bring the whole image to life, giving it a depth of field and the feel that's there's actually layers.

all this from turning the camera a bit to the right. the symmetry issue is NOT because the toon is always in the middle, is because everything is exactly the same on both halves of the image.

the composition is just as important as the theme.
Warheit

PreviousNext

Return to General