The dark days of Pre TBC

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Vanifae » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:06 pm

I actually would like some hybridization but the way the raid game works you need to maximize the slot you are given.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Nicos » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:07 pm

For some reason I'm picturing you all as grumpy old men in a retirement home, reminiscing about the "good ole days".

Storms a'comin, my knee is actin' up!

Honestly, I had a Hunter at release, then quit to try the various other MMOs that came out (and subsequently failed)...
Last edited by Nicos on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicos

Postby Palafix » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:07 pm

Man, you know, this seems pretty interesting. Makes me wish I had made leveled up my pally instead of my druid at release. But then again, he was a dwarf so thank god I didn't.
Palafix

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Vanifae wrote:I actually would like some hybridization but the way the raid game works you need to maximize the slot you are given.

Yeah because they took out the "hybrid" slot.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Vanifae » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:08 pm

I had a dwarf paladin I leveled to 49 pre-BC, just before they changed Illumination combo from 11 points to whatever it is now.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Suikano » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:09 pm

Warriors in beta were disgusting, they were so overwhelmingly uber that they were nerfed multiple times before release to the point that upon release, they were arguably the worst class in the game. Thus was born the videos of paladins dueling warriors and ending with full health, full mana, even though they had only fought with their bare hands.
Suikano

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:12 pm

Suikano wrote:Warriors in beta were disgusting, they were so overwhelmingly uber that they were nerfed multiple times before release to the point that upon release, they were arguably the worst class in the game. Thus was born the videos of paladins dueling warriors and ending with full health, full mana, even though they had only fought with their bare hands.

It's true!
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Palafix » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:18 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I gotta say this thread rules. Reminiscing about the good old days makes grouchy old man Sabin happy.

Did I ever tell you kids about Beta, where Seal of Reckoning was ridiculously overpowered and let me and my hunter friend 2-man Stockades at level?

Uncy Sabby! Tell us some more of your war stories!
Palafix

Postby Lore » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Yeah my Warrior at release was nasty, especially since I had no idea wtf I was doing at the time and leveled Protection to help my guild run instances...

I remember beta, I played horde then too but I made a Paladin just to see how it was one day, which happened to be the day before they pushed the seal/judgement system... I remember logging on the next day and going "wtf, is this class made for young children now or something?"
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Brute » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:27 pm

pre BC i was a ret pally. Don't remember what patch I hit 60 on, but it was like a year after release or something. I was 21/0/30 for almost the whole time until BC came out... when Crusader Strike hit the ret tree, I remember topping some dps charts in UBRS with my new 10/0/41 build (I think that's what it was anyway).

I got started in tanking by doing the dungeon 2 upgrade series and tanking strat 45, still in my 21/0/30 build, but I knew pally-tanking didn't have any real potential because most raid drops for tanking had either Class: Warrior, or useless stats.
Brute

Postby Sharow » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:28 pm

I tanked pretty much every 5 man in the game, as prot spec early on and later as holy/ret. 1.9 really killed prot and overpowered holy. When I started raiding I specced holy and healed full time and with the right gear pallies were really, really good healers. Admittedly, only a small fraction of holy pallies geared intelligently for healing back then, most pallies in MC / BWL were wearing Lightforge and Lawbringer which pretty much relegated them to cleansing and buffing.

I was actually going to go ret for BC. I had collected a pretty decent ret set and raided as ret for a couple of weeks after the "Before the Storm" patch came out. The damage was very, very nice. It got nerfed in release but it was still pretty good for levelling. Then at 61 I did my first Ramparts and pulled aggro off the tank on every single pull so I figured if I was having to tank the mobs regardless I might as well do a proper job of it! I dusted off my T2 set and my trusty Lok'Amir (with +55 healing enchant no less!) and specced prot. And the rest is history as they say.
Sharow

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:37 pm

jere wrote:I usually sported a 5/8 or 8/8 T2 set plus assorted tanking items such as rings/cloaks/etc. For a weapon, I actually picked up a hand of edward the odd. That sucker rocked. I could instant cast heal myself (which worked well in T2 at the time, since it was also decent healing gear) quite often. I enchanted it with a spell dmg enchant for some extra threat.

I am not sure why others had trouble with threat before the 2.0 changes. While the pre 1.9 was indeed better, once holy shield was working well, everything was fine on my end. I could build up threat in between healing easily enough to be a "backup" tank if something happened to the MT or OT.

Prior to 2.0, I tanked core hound packs, Garr Adds, trash in MC/AQ/ZG, panther boss adds, one of the tiger boss adds, onyxia, Garr, Sulferous (or whatever his name was -- the guy in MC with 4 healer adds), a Major Domo add, and various others. It was fun times.

Initially when 1.9 came out, holy shield was bugged and wasn't generating threat. Also, the spell dmg plate gear that existed was T2, so if you weren't sporting that or a spell dmg weapon it was difficult. The deathbone set that was changed for pally tanks had MP5, but no spell dmg, IIRC.

Plus, to go 31 points in prot you were giving up some healing abilities, before 1.9 you could easily have holy shield, free crit heals, and soc for solo/grinding/pvp, and you could easily tank 5 mans at that point without protection. All of that combined to kill deep prot specs.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Arcand » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:39 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Sulferous (or whatever his name was -- the guy in MC with 4 healer adds)

Sulfuron Harbinger.

Sulfuras was the big orange hammer.
Arcand

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Arcand wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Sulferous (or whatever his name was -- the guy in MC with 4 healer adds)

Sulfuron Harbinger.

Sulfuras was the big orange hammer.

I have no recollection of typing that :D
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Arcand » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:52 pm

I don't think anyone's too worried about it, I can just never resist piping up when there's a blank to be filled in. :)
Arcand

PreviousNext

Return to General