Remove Advertisements

The dark days of Pre TBC

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Palafix wrote:Also, speaking of which...

How did decisions on stuff like thunderfury work out? Especially @ Invisusira.
What was the decision based on? Did they choose you specifically for the weapon, or was it a dkp kind of thing?

There was a pally on my server with thunderfury, but only because when the first binding dropped they didn't know what it would end up being. For the most part, it went to tanks in my guild, though there were plenty of rogues with it too.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Suikano » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:55 pm

The arguments over who got thunderfury were the kinds of things that caused warrior MT's to leave guilds. There were sword rogues who thought that they were deserving and insisted on getting in on the action.
Suikano

Postby Palafix » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Palafix wrote:
Lore wrote:Ahh, decursive... I remember those days.

Let me tell you Alliance whippersnappers that Chromaggus without Cleanse was an absolute pain in the ass.

qft

Sabindeus wrote:And let me tell you Horde shmucks that Shaman were horribly overpowered in PVP.

Tell that to the pallies that used to 2-shot me in BGs. There weren't many things I feared as a wsg flag carrier. Paladins were def. one of them.

Those were the Paladins who either spent their entire lives devoted to PVP for Grand Marshal or whose guilds gave them Hand of Rag or Ashkandi. :P

Try both. Seriously though. We had this one pally on our server named Nomak who used to rape faces in BGs. Also, after they made cross-server BGs, it seemed that every ret pally I saw was a grand marshal, or had Sulfuras, or both. It was the same with shamans though. You needed a ridiculously good weapon to wtfpwn people.
Palafix

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:56 pm

Sabindeus wrote:What lol? Quel was awesome. I never managed to get a Lok'amir or Bloodcaller, and if I had one I probably would have used it... but the Quel was more than sufficient given that I had about 150 spell damage from my Judgement pieces. :P

Nothing wrong with the Quel, it's just funny how stuff changed and that weapon kind of illustrates that.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:56 pm

I gotta say this thread rules. Reminiscing about the good old days makes grouchy old man Sabin happy.

Did I ever tell you kids about Beta, where Seal of Reckoning was ridiculously overpowered and let me and my hunter friend 2-man Stockades at level?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Vanifae » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:57 pm

Long time horde, I enjoyed watching Paladins run at AV battle lines consecrate and then run away.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:58 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I gotta say this thread rules. Reminiscing about the good old days makes grouchy old man Sabin happy.

Did I ever tell you kids about Beta, where Seal of Reckoning was ridiculously overpowered and let me and my hunter friend 2-man Stockades at level?

Yeah, when the seal/judgment system was introduced I was not a happy camper. It almost made me decide to not roll a pally in retail.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:58 pm

Vanifae wrote:Long time horde, I enjoyed watching Paladins run at AV battle lines consecrate and then run away.

I enjoyed sitting in burning towers and playing with my Playstation 2 while reputation accumulated on my character sheet so that I could eventually purchase the uber Unstoppable Force.

Does that count?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Palafix » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:59 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I gotta say this thread rules. Reminiscing about the good old days makes grouchy old man Sabin happy.

Good ol' days? I thought that we were under the general consensus that these were the "dark ages".

They really were, for a lot of classes. I remember seeing feral druids in pvp before the druid buff (the 1st one, not 2.0). Reju was more than enough to heal through that dps. Though before 2.0, we had a grand marshal feral druid who made top 5 on the dps meters on some of our raids. He raided extremely infrequently though =(
Palafix

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:00 pm

Vanifae wrote:Long time horde, I enjoyed watching Paladins run at AV battle lines consecrate and then run away.

Well I tell you, I got with a few pallys and we ran in bubbled, consecrated then popped sapper charges if you could use them. Then we'd have mages blink in right behind us BoP'd, that was freaking awesome!
Last edited by Fridmarr on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:01 pm

Palafix wrote:Good ol' days? I thought that we were under the general consensus that these were the "dark ages".

They really were, for a lot of classes. I remember seeing feral druids in pvp before the druid buff (the 1st one, not 2.0). Reju was more than enough to heal through that dps. Though before 2.0, we had a grand marshal feral druid who made top 5 on the dps meters on some of our raids. He raided extremely infrequently though =(

Well were were more powerful in PVP with the tri spec, we are certainly better tanks now than we have ever been.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Fridmarr wrote:

Yeah, when the seal/judgment system was introduced I was not a happy camper. It almost made me decide to not roll a pally in retail.

Well... I had mixed feelings.

I felt the "Crusader Strike 5 times then Holy Strike" system was kinda dumb.

Also Seals were dumb because... 30s buffs? Wtf is this?

Also having Auras for mana regen and attack power... that hurt.

Blessings fixed that problem and I felt were a good solution... until later on when I realized I had to recast them every 5 minutes and they were JUST LIKE SEALS GODDAMNIT.

Seals + Judgements I felt were an interesting alternative to the obvious Warrior counterparts of Holy Strike/Crusader Strike (Heroic Strike/Sunder Armor)... And they were definitely less mana intensive, which was good! But rejudging every 30s and sitting there watching Seal of the Crusader kill things was exactly as boring.
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:05 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
Palafix wrote:Good ol' days? I thought that we were under the general consensus that these were the "dark ages".

Well were were more powerful in PVP with the tri spec, we are certainly better tanks now than we have ever been.

Fridmarr is 100% correct. Things have changed... but not all for the better.

We gave up our Hybridity.

The game changed so that Hybrids weren't useful, necessary, or effective.

So, we gained the ability to fill main roles.

I'm not sure I'm happy with how things turned out overall.
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:05 pm

Palafix wrote:

Good ol' days? I thought that we were under the general consensus that these were the "dark ages".

I don't remember agreeing to any sort of consensus like that. :P
Sabindeus

Postby jere » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:06 pm

I usually sported a 5/8 or 8/8 T2 set plus assorted tanking items such as rings/cloaks/etc. For a weapon, I actually picked up a hand of edward the odd. That sucker rocked. I could instant cast heal myself (which worked well in T2 at the time, since it was also decent healing gear) quite often. I enchanted it with a spell dmg enchant for some extra threat.

I am not sure why others had trouble with threat before the 2.0 changes. While the pre 1.9 was indeed better, once holy shield was working well, everything was fine on my end. I could build up threat in between healing easily enough to be a "backup" tank if something happened to the MT or OT.

Prior to 2.0, I tanked core hound packs, Garr Adds, trash in MC/AQ/ZG, panther boss adds, one of the tiger boss adds, onyxia, Garr, Sulferous (or whatever his name was -- the guy in MC with 4 healer adds), a Major Domo add, and various others. It was fun times.
jere

PreviousNext

Return to General