SoV fucked up by latest PTR Update?!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

SoV fucked up by latest PTR Update?!

Postby Lev » Sat May 19, 2007 12:14 am

I just read in the official forums about a change on SoV and then logged on to the PTR... i got some really discussing numbers of Holy DMG for the SoV Ticks:

0 Spelldmg (Kings Defender)
31 Holydmg/Tick - 1 Stack
157 Holydmg/Tick - 5 Stacks

199 Spelldmg ("Hammer der Aufgedeckten Geheimnisse" +40 Spelldmg)
39 Holydmg/Tick - 1 Stack
193 Holydmg/Tick - 5 Stacks

161 Spelldmg (Kontinuumblade + 40 Spelldmg)
37 Holydmg/Tick - 1 Stack
186 Holy/Tick - 5 Stacks

190 Spelldmg (Crusader Judgement)
38 Holydmg/Tick - 1 Stack
164 Holydmg/Tick - 5 Stacks

199 Spelldmg + Crusader Judgement
45 Holydmg/Tick - 1 Stack
199 Holydmg/Tick - 5 Stacks

161 Spelldmg + Crusader Judgement
44 Holydmg/Tick - 1 Stack
193 Holydmg/Tick - 5 Stacks


Does andone has a clue, why it ticks for more than 30 wil NO Spelldmg equipped?! Also Crusader Judgement almost hast no fucking effect... that really fucks me up right now :evil:
Lev
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 11:18 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Jensaarai » Sat May 19, 2007 3:07 pm

Where did you see this?
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
User avatar
Jensaarai
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Yorba Linda, CA

Postby Lev » Sat May 19, 2007 3:32 pm

On the PTR... just logged in today and did some testing on it.
Lev
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 11:18 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Dorvan » Sat May 19, 2007 5:12 pm

User avatar
Dorvan
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8462
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Postby Jensaarai » Sun May 20, 2007 8:16 am

But now apparently they aren't buffing the coefficient?

/sad panda
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
User avatar
Jensaarai
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Yorba Linda, CA

Postby Lev » Thu May 24, 2007 7:11 am

Well... patch is out now and on the live servers it is like on the latest ptr where i found this out...

I put on NO spelldmg and get 157 ticks. With above 400 Spelldmg (including 190 from JoC) I get 216 per tick... without JoC it is at 210. So JoC will not be used anymore...

And now i ask you... can you find any math in these numbers?
Lev
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 11:18 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Arcand » Thu May 24, 2007 8:33 am

I once read some number-crunching which suggested that Seal of Command has two coefficients - one for +spell damage and a different one for +holy damage. Almost irrelevant given how little +holy gear there is in the game, but JotC is +holy...

Maybe Vengeance is working the same way.
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Postby Arcand » Thu May 24, 2007 10:48 am

It's been a couple weeks since Excel and I unleashed a Monte Carlo beat-down on something, so I made a sheet to simulate SoV stacking on a bad guy to see just how much of a problem the fall-off is.

What I found is that either my model is deficient, or Holy Vengeance fall-offs are sticking in our memories and giving us an unfair impression of SoV.

I calculated proc chance using 20 procs per minute, so the chance on a hit was (weapon speed)/3.00.

Commanding myself to be conservative, I gave the notional tankadin a 5.6% chance to miss, to be parried, to be dodged and to be (completely) blocked.

I assumed a weapon speed of 1.80, so each damaging hit had a 60% chance to proc Holy Vengeance. Per the above, each attack had a (1-0.224)x0.6 = 46.56% chance to apply HV.

Results in a minute, got a student...
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Postby Sabindeus » Thu May 24, 2007 11:18 am

Arcand wrote:What I found is that either my model is deficient, or Holy Vengeance fall-offs are sticking in our memories and giving us an unfair impression of SoV.


The fact that it can fall off at ALL is the issue here.

Also you forgot Resists.
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10494
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Postby Arcand » Thu May 24, 2007 11:28 am

I did forget resists. However, I'm still finding that the average stack size is pretty high. Once I get the average stack number nailed down I'm going to compare the long-term threat generation against SoR/JoR.

This weekend I tanked Romulo and the Curator with SoV, so we can get some real-life numbers and compare those against SoR/JoR as well.

Off to tweak the refresh rate, updated numbers in a few minutes I hope.
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Postby Arcand » Thu May 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Okay. Because my mage is level 54 I remain blissfully ignorant of spell resist rates against raid bosses, so I decided our notional bad guy has an 8% resist rate. (5% base plus 1% per level difference - I'm trying to be hard on SoV here.)

I ran sixty five-minute simulations, with a 1.80 speed weapon, first attack happens 1.80 seconds in.

Out of 60 runs...

7 runs had an average stack of less than 4 over the 5-minute period.
The worst run had an average stack size of 3.69.
The best run had an average stack size of 4.88.

The mean stack size was 4.40 with a sample standard deviation of 0.30.
That indicates that 99% of the time, your average stack will be 3.7 or better.

I don't remember the numbers for JoV, but once I have them I'll be doing a threat comparison against SoR/JoR. I expect to find that while you don't want to open a fight with SoV and dare the magi to pop trinkets and try to pull aggro off you, SoV is reliable enough to outperform SoR in the long haul.
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Postby Lore » Thu May 24, 2007 12:47 pm

I believe mob resist chance as a level 73 is something more like 17%.
User avatar
Lore
Global Mod
 
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

Postby honorshammer » Thu May 24, 2007 12:49 pm

The problem I have with SoV is that few bosses just let you sit there and whack away at them. They fear, stun, throw you in the air, toss you across the room, fly away, etc. which makes keeping SoV very difficult.
User avatar
honorshammer
Moderator
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:35 am
Location: Charleston, SC

Postby Arcand » Thu May 24, 2007 1:06 pm

Lore wrote:I believe mob resist chance as a level 73 is something more like 17%.


(Temporarily dumbfounded)

Okay, ignore the above then. I'll recompute ASAP.
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Postby Lore » Thu May 24, 2007 1:14 pm

Check here: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/spells.html

About halfway down the page, it gives a base 83% chance to hit with spells vs +3 level mobs, so yeah, 17% chance for resist.
User avatar
Lore
Global Mod
 
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest