Testing on PTR, Spec Ideas and Gear info

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Testing on PTR, Spec Ideas and Gear info

Postby Questioner » Fri May 18, 2007 10:34 am

I was quite surprised by the lack of discussion on what the 2.1 patch would bring protection paladins. So, I got on the ptr to look for myself. I will try to take some screenshots of this later. Here are my observations:

T5 equivalent gear is sickly good. Do not underestimate it, do not squabble about the spell damage versus mitigation stats. I had, without any enchants and WHITE gems, no pots, not oils, just the gear from the warrior and paladin boxes the following stats and my heroic libram:

~104% miss/dodge/parry/block with holy shield
~13k hp
~484 spell damage
~16k armor

with the following spec:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0000000000

(The two in WE is imp holy shield)

Notice I did not take a few interesting things:
1.) No reckoning. Tests on the ptr showed that reckoning was providing a mere 2.4% overall threat boost, whereas 1H spec was providing a 5% boost. Fact is, as your gain mitigation, reckoning procs less. 1H spec is constant.

2.) Only 1/5 parry. I went for a threat build. I figure if that is what I am supposed to be good at, damnit I will! I just didn't need that 4% to reach crush immunity.

I was able to buff to some ridiculous spell damage/threat numbers. I was also able to swap some gear for more stam or more spell damage, whatever suited. I couldn't really optimize the setup because I don't have the resources (enchanting mats, extra gold, etc). However, I know that with enchants and etc I could easily hit over 15k hp unbuffed or 600 spell damage o_0

Like I said, I will try to get some pictures of these. It gives me hope. Now if only my guild was motivated :D
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Questioner » Fri May 18, 2007 11:18 am

Well, after getting on the ptr again, I see I did have some buffs :(

I was at 394 spell damage and 11k hp unbuffed. Other numbers still stand.

Still, I thought it was quite good :D
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Questioner

Postby Dorvan » Fri May 18, 2007 11:29 am

The thing with Deflection is that 4% avoidance we don't have to put on our gear is 4% worth or itemization points we can dump into stamina (or even spell damage if you choose). I have a hard time believing that it's more favorable to pick up Imp Judgment and a couple other points of threat talents instead.

Although maximizing our threat does play to a strength of ours, it's a strength that really isn't needed. From a raid-tanking perspective, mitigation is what's required, at for now that's what we need to work on to tank at that level, whether we're naturally good at it or not.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Fri May 18, 2007 11:48 am

Dorvan wrote:The thing with Deflection is that 4% avoidance we don't have to put on our gear is 4% worth or itemization points we can dump into stamina (or even spell damage if you choose). I have a hard time believing that it's more favorable to pick up Imp Judgment and a couple other points of threat talents instead.

Although maximizing our threat does play to a strength of ours, it's a strength that really isn't needed. From a raid-tanking perspective, mitigation is what's required, at for now that's what we need to work on to tank at that level, whether we're naturally good at it or not.

Unless you find it impossible to find high end tanking gear that doesn't have defense/avoidance on it, which is mostly the case.
Sabindeus

Postby Lore » Fri May 18, 2007 11:51 am

Dodge and parry don't cease to become useful just because you hit uncrushable.

4% parry is quite a lot.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Questioner » Fri May 18, 2007 12:01 pm

At no point do I doubt that the 4% parry I could have gained from the talent is helpful, should I have the talent points to invest into it without nerfing my threat, which is why I said so in my op.

The point was that with the "baseline" gear I was given, I didn't need the talent at all to become uncrushable, at which point it becomes a preference whether you want more avoidance, more stamina or more threat.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Questioner

Postby Questioner » Fri May 18, 2007 12:06 pm

Another point, scaling threat and frontloaded threat is what we are good at. You are lying to yourself if you think our tps is higher than a warrior's over the course of a fight with only 200-250 spell damage.

The point of my build was to generate one that was 1.) Max threat 2.) Max stamina 3.) Uncrushable.

Fact of the matter is that there really was not gear to swap to take advantage of the extra 2% parry I could gain from the talent.

Also, Imp sor + imp judgement have a double effect on each other.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Questioner

Postby Sabindeus » Fri May 18, 2007 12:11 pm

Questioner wrote:Another point, scaling threat and frontloaded threat is what we are good at. You are lying to yourself if you think our tps is higher than a warrior's over the course of a fight with only 200-250 spell damage.

Depends on how well geared the Warrior is.
Sabindeus

Postby Jensaarai » Fri May 18, 2007 11:35 pm

Questioner wrote:Well, after getting on the ptr again, I see I did have some buffs :(

I was at 394 spell damage and 11k hp unbuffed. Other numbers still stand.

Still, I thought it was quite good :D

11k >.< that's a big difference.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Return to General