Viability

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Viability

Postby Voldiir » Thu May 17, 2007 4:43 pm

I know that pally tanks get some heat in their endgame viability. When we are overgeared for something, sure we can tank it, but we need to be able to tank AS we advance.

Now... I know that when I got on the PTR with the tier 5 tank set, and other epic gear given to us, I was able to be uncrushable with no enchants and just regular gems. I didn't really have to "work" to get it. Stamina is still a concern, however.

My question is, with the slight changes to our threat (more base threat may equal more room for added "tanking" stats like using a "tank" sword over a "spell" sword, for example) and the changes being made to our tier gear overall, WILL paladin tanks be able to remain tanks in SSC and beyond?

I know right now, this is not really plausible. But Blizz has been making changes to us for the better, maybe not what is needed... but they are still buffs. My guild is currently at 9/11 bosses down in kara. We are working on Netherspite and Nightbane and closing in on Gruul's Lair. It will still be some time before most of our members (me included) are ready to move on. Do you think any remaining problems we face will be solved by then?

Basically... I want to know people's opinions on weather or not our future really looks as good as we all hope it will.
Voldiir

Postby Dorvan » Thu May 17, 2007 4:55 pm

For MT'ing, things are looking iffy at best. From everything I hear, however (I haven't been past Kara/Gruul myself), our OT viability is holding up just fine in SSC at least.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Voldiir » Thu May 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Well I haven't done too much on the PTR, and as I stated before, my guild is not yet through all of Kara. But I know that, right now at least, I have to focus heavily on avoidance over staying power. Like using Andormu's Tear over the tanking Violet Signet. That is a big stamina difference. But using the improved gear (assuming you have it :? ) makes these things less significant, as it should. It's an upgrade. Now theoretically this will leave much more room for specific increases (like gems and enchants) to the things we lack most (health).

Sigh... I guess I should rephrase... the real question is: is the high base avoidance of a paladin tank enough to make up for our lack of base health in the future (taking all the changes to come into consideration) to make us on par with the warriors and druids who dominate current content?

I personally do not mind being mostly an OT, but if it is FLAT OUT not possible (even if all your dpsers and healers are absolute top notch) to tank bosses in endgame content... I'm-a have a good batch of issues.
Voldiir

Postby Thels » Sun May 20, 2007 7:06 am

We're a base 1200 hp behind on Warriors, and updated gear is not going to fix that.

However, with a bit of gear upgrades here and there, we can get CB immune with just Defense/Dodge and a bit of Parry/Agility, without relying on items with only Block on it. Warriors want some Defense/Dodge/Parry/Agility as well, so that's not a setback for us.

Only items that only give Block chance, or that are picked because of the Block chance on them are a setback on warriors, since they don't need block chance and can equip different items there.
ImageImage
Thels

Return to General