Remove Advertisements

Alting Question

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Alting Question

Postby honorshammer » Thu May 17, 2007 1:58 pm

Thinking about what to do for an alt. Just wanted to get some input from you.

I've played nearly every class to the low 20s early 30s (with the exception of Warlocks, that classes mechanic just freaks me out). I've basically narrowed down my choices to two:

Feral Druid, or Hunter.

The Feral would be nice because I get to do a little bit of everything, and I'd have a nice fall back for a main switch if this whole Tankadin thing doesn't work out. I do enjoy tanking.

Hunter is fun, and its totally different from my Paladin. I'd never have to worry about multiple gear sets or getting whispered "R U Healz??" It also seems like the least stressful choice.

I discovered I didn't like cloth wearers. I just hate feeling so squishy. I also found much to my dismay, that I really didn't enjoy playing a Warrior. I really wish I had. I was shocked at how much less survivable a Warrior is than a Paladin when soloing.
honorshammer

Postby Lore » Thu May 17, 2007 2:00 pm

Either one would be good, I personally love hunters and one of these days I'll quit screwing around and finish leveling mine.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Arcand » Thu May 17, 2007 2:07 pm

I don't really enjoy either pet class. I don't know if I have an aversion to pets (I don't think I do) or if that's just coincidence.

I found my druid a terrible drag until she hit level 20; now she's level 31 Feral/Resto and I absolutely love her. I lug around three partial sets of gear, and it's cool to apply to groups, have them say "What do you do?" and you say, "What do you need?" :D
Arcand

Postby Livyan » Thu May 17, 2007 3:04 pm

Druids are absolutely insane.
Caster DPS, Melee DPS, Tank and Healer, all rolled into one class!
All of their specs are very viable, and I think you'd have more fun trying to figure out which spec you like than running around with autoshot.. =p
Livyan

Postby s4dfish » Thu May 17, 2007 4:34 pm

I'd throw out somthing different: Rogue. As the only mana-less DPS class (I don't count warriors) they seem to be about as different from a Pally as possible. I'm of course speaking as a primary rogue who's alting with the Paladin :P
s4dfish

Postby Tetja » Thu May 17, 2007 6:46 pm

Speaking as a pre-BC rogue addict, who couldn't imagine playing any other class... I started a Draenei pally when my partner started her Shammie, and I absolutely love being a tankadin! My poor rogue is barely played (only level 61). But yeah, my too favourite classes are definitely paladin and rogue. Very different play-style - certainly a lot less expected of you as a rogue :) I've played all other classes to the mid 20s at least, except Hunters - I think the pet thing isn't for me.

Which doesn't really address the OP question of druid or hunter, so I'll say... hunter! Great for an alt - especially with two gathering professions to farm like the dickens.
Tetja

Postby Lorath » Fri May 18, 2007 12:22 am

Play rogue and enjoy massive dps without buffing responsibilites or having to switch gear/spec for 5man/raid/pvp :P
Herba/miner farming bliss ^_^

Hunter works too I guess :)

GL with whatever class you choose, tho if you play Feral either refuse to heal or get used to having to heal, personally I'd not pick a healing class for an alt unless I'd go for healing completely.
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Daeren » Fri May 18, 2007 12:34 am

Ye, stay off healing classes.

If you can heal, you heal!

That's the sad state of reality.

I made a fury warrior, it's so awesome, i have no words to describe how much more fun he is to grind than an arms warriors or a paladin.
Daeren

Postby Arcand » Fri May 18, 2007 8:20 am

They make a good point about the healing thing. I've been lucky so far and have gotten to spend a fair bit of time as bear or cat, but my luck's bound to run out and so might yours... :?
Arcand

Postby Drak » Fri May 18, 2007 8:45 am

Personally, I think warlocks are awesome. They're easy to level, and when specced right, can grind for hours on end without touching a single piece of food or drink, or even a bandage. Plus, they can kill fast, making them insane farmers. They also own at PvP and can put out insane damage.

Wait, why am I still playing my Paladin? :<
Drak

Postby Lore » Fri May 18, 2007 9:16 am

Drak wrote:Personally, I think warlocks are awesome. They're easy to level, and when specced right, can grind for hours on end without touching a single piece of food or drink, or even a bandage. Plus, they can kill fast, making them insane farmers. They also own at PvP and can put out insane damage.

Wait, why am I still playing my Paladin? :<

The problem with playing a warlock is occasionally you have to stop killing things to loot =(
Lore
Global Mod

Postby s4dfish » Fri May 18, 2007 9:45 am

Tetja wrote:Speaking as a pre-BC rogue addict, who couldn't imagine playing any other class... I started a Draenei pally when my partner started her Shammie, and I absolutely love being a tankadin! My poor rogue is barely played (only level 61). But yeah, my too favourite classes are definitely paladin and rogue. Very different play-style - certainly a lot less expected of you as a rogue :)
This is almost exactly my situation. 60 rogue before BC, leveled to 63 then focused on my Tankadin, got him to 44 with my wife's Shammy (her highest level toon), then she lost interest and I went back to my rogue :P Hoping she'll regain interest soon so we can get to Outland :P

I also have a highish hunter (55) which feels fairly similar to my rogue. Tankadin is certainly the different from my main.
s4dfish

Postby honorshammer » Fri May 18, 2007 9:59 am

Warlock is the one class I will never roll, regardless of how good they might be. That whole demon thing just totally freaks me out.

So there's a new hunter on Altar of Storms, Honorshummer, level 29, pet boar named Bacon.
honorshammer

Postby Dorven » Mon May 21, 2007 4:34 pm

IMHO, playing a hybrid class generates what I like to call "hybrid angst". You end up spending your time:

- Defending your spec/class to naysayers
- Educating people about your class mechanics and group/raid utility
- Struggling to get groups
- Fighting for gear
- Building up multiple sets of gear instead of just one in case you're asked to perform your "off" role.
- Dealing with weird itemization issues (like items with STR/DEF, and +spell damage...)

I do this stuff gladly for my chosen main class, but it's a bit much to do it for my alts as well. So my alts tend to be "single role" classes - Warlocks, Mages etc.
Dorven

Postby Bobness » Mon May 21, 2007 11:56 pm

IMHO, playing a hybrid class generates what I like to call "hybrid angst". You end up spending your time:

- Defending your spec/class to naysayers
- Educating people about your class mechanics and group/raid utility
- Struggling to get groups
- Fighting for gear
- Building up multiple sets of gear instead of just one in case you're asked to perform your "off" role.
- Dealing with weird itemization issues (like items with STR/DEF, and +spell damage...)

That pretty much sums up the bits that turn me off my Paladin....

When I need a break it's Warlock all the way.

Mindless killing with none of the angst
Bobness

Next

Return to General